Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Crack on page forward button

I nearly always page forward with the right-side forward button.

Now I see a micro-crack forming on that button.  Its not debilitating yet, but I could see this becoming a problem. 

Luckily I purchased the ehnanced warranty.  Perhaps when B&N gets caught up with orders I will

have to have them fix this.

So you avid readers, watch for button cracks.

Frequent Contributor
bischost
0 Kudos

Re: Crack on page forward button

No no NO!!!  I do NOT want to see these kinds of problems cropping up!

Honestly, I'll cheerfully deal with buggy software.  In my opinion, the REAL problems of any technology begin when you start having physical failures in the product.

Bummer, dude.

Frequent Contributor
BookDroid
0 Kudos

Hey icebike,

FYI, Here is a link to Nookdevs where they have rooted the nook.  In this process they take the nook apart to get to the micro SD card.  From this procedure it looks pretty easy to replace that white bezel.  If this turns out to be a bigger problem maybe B&N could send you a new bezel and you could do it yourself.  That way you won't have to remove all your personal stuff and be nook less!  Just curious, how long have you had your nook and how much have you used the forward button?

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

So glad I got my 3 year squaretrade warranty for $46 :smileyhappy: I'm hoping mine breaks in about 2.5 years since these will be obsolete by then, and can upgrade to a new ereader:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BookDroid wrote:
Just curious, how long have you had your nook and how much have you used the forward button?

I was one of the first customers shipped, I ordered the first day the B&N website took orders.

I've finished several books, and I always find myself using that button (it is the forward button after all, and I hit that more than any other button).  I also use Calibre to download some newspapers and magazines to the nook, so it gets a pretty steady work out. 

I've babied it, never dropped it. 

Image of the crack here: http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/icebike/FatigueCrack.jpg

(I'd embed it but its a tad big for this board).

The line labled "Embossed" is the edge of the rough area where the keys sit.  The other line is the stress crack which originates at the edge and radiates toward the screen.  It has not yet extended all the way across the bezel. 

Frequent Contributor
BookDroid
0 Kudos

Wow!  That seems like a substancial crack to me.  I use the forward button more than the screen swipe because of how I hold it.  I think i'll screen swipe for now until we see if this is going to be a bigger problem.  I can see that due to the thin, rounded bezel that as you press down that the material on both the edges makes a crease.  I have a plastic ruler with roughly the same profile (although wider) and when you push it down it goes flat and makes a crease.  The ends of the ruler even lift up off the table.  Keep us posted on this.  Good luck with B&N customer disservice.

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph
0 Kudos

This is why I mainly swipe to turn pages.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

FWIW, the bezel-bending buttons are also harder to push than the page turn buttons on any other ebook reader I've used.  Never did like it; I think I even commented on it in my first review.  I have no doubt it's cheaper to produce, though.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ElAleph wrote:

This is why I mainly swipe to turn pages.

Wow.  Such foresight. You saw that coming and didn't warn the rest of us?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Bezel bending is ok with me, I don't find them hard to push.  (Not that frail yet :smileywink: ).

I've tried a kindle a year ago and found I would bump the buttons and turn pages when I didn't intend to.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

icebike: K1 or K2?  The buttons are rather different (for exactly that reason).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

It was a K1.  The owner said that unintened page changes were a constant problem that he learned to avoid by holding it in a certain way.

Reader 4
TeacherGalAB
0 Kudos

Wow, kinda scary to think you've had it less than a month and already have some damage!  I tend to switch back and forth between sides depending on how I hold it, I don't use the swipe feature hardly at all.  I'll have to keep an eye out for this.  This is going to sound horrible, but I kinda hope you just got a defective Nook that you can replace and this isn't a design flaw.  (Told you it would sound horrible, nothing personal!):smileyhappy:  Good luck.

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

Looking at the side of the nook, under the page-forward/page-back buttons, it appears to me that if you push them farther away from the edge of the frosted area (closer to the middle of the two buttons, but obviously not right in the middle), the deflection of the plastic would be less than if you push nearer the edge of the frosted area. This would likely create less stress and "plastic-fatigue".

Obviously, the finger swipe method doesn't deflect anything, but I would guess that enabling the swipe (and having an internal process constantly running to check for a swipe) is one reason the battery life is suboptimal. I wonder if page turns with the swipe require more juice.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Actually pushing directly ON the arrow, seems to work best.  Not above/below, not left or right, but directly on the arrow takes less force, and deflects the edge of the bezel less.

I think you are correct about the swipe taking more power than the button.  Swipes have to be watched for, and monitored for the whole swipe motion.

Something touched the pad,

start a timer

has it moved yet, No - just light it up.

has it move left

has it moved right

Does t look like a swipe?

Buttons just happen. 

The sad part, is that process that monitors the touch screen is running whether you use it or not.

I'd like to see an option for the touch pad shut down all together till you double tap the n symbol.

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I nearly always page forward with the right-side forward button.

Now I see a micro-crack forming on that button.  Its not debilitating yet, but I could see this becoming a problem. 

Luckily I purchased the ehnanced warranty.  Perhaps when B&N gets caught up with orders I will

have to have them fix this.

So you avid readers, watch for button cracks.

Good reason to perfect "the swipe".  Keep us up to date with what is happening Icebike.  I will watch for cracks.  Unfortunately, I did not buy the extended warranty - gift nook and we were not told we had to buy it at purchase.   Good luck.

Contributor
puddinpaws
0 Kudos

I bought the extended warranty too, but I have not received anything as regards to actually having a extended warranty... Anybody know what we are supposed get..(or not..lol)

John

Frequent Contributor
Xandie
0 Kudos

I know this is an old post, but I want to see if you were able to get ahold of B&N regarding this crack. My nook, after a whole 2.5 weeks of owernship, has a crack in the exact same place. As you can probably guess, I'm prety peeved about it. When I first read this post, I was really hoping it was a fluke... but if it is, I'm in the lotto-winning boat with you. SO DIPLEASED! I wonder how many other people have had this happen... I bought the extended warrenty but I didn't expect to have to use it so soon!

Xandie

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Xandle

I have not tried to get ahold of them yet.

I thought I would let the supply problem get sorted out for a month or so first.  The warrany covers exactly one replacement, and I don't want to waste it on this issue just yet.

I'm thinking I should get them to cover this under the regular warranty and save my extended coverage for a more disasterous incident.

I do have a better image, below, and the crack is spreading across the width of the right side bezel.

ButtonCrack on Nook

Frequent Contributor
Xandie
0 Kudos

I'm hoping to be able to call them sometime this afternoon/evening about it. Not looking forward to sitting on hold for 1.5 hours... I'll let you know what they say when I speak with them.