Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
wtstonerjr

Re: Crack on page forward button

They're sending me a new nook!

I just got off the phone with Patrick in customer service.  At first he gave me a line about "..the old nook will be inspected when it gets returned.  If they determine that it was abuse, they'll just send it back and bill me for the shipping."  To which I replied that I was confident that the cracked button was not the result of abuse.  He proceeded to explain how regular returns work versus how rapids returns work.  Turns out, the rapid return requires that you give a credit card number and they send you a new nook right away (even before receiving or inspecting the old one).  They only charge your card if they determine the damage have been caused by abuse.  I asked him, "what if the inspector doesn't agree with me that it's not abuse?  I don't really want to buy a second nook then."  He didn't know the answer to right off hand and said he would ask his supervisor.  A few minutes later, he came back on the line and apologized.  He this is a known issue and he was confident that the inspectors will not call it abuse.  So, I'm doing the rapid return option.

Oh yeah, at the end of the call I asked, "since this is a known issue, will the new nook have any engineering changes that fix the problem?"  He didn't know of any off hand.  He just speculated that I must have been one of the unlucky people that received a bad one.  Not sure if I like this answer, I worked in a product reliability test lab for 8 years and based on my experience, this is the type of problem that will happen to all of them eventually.  I'm going to be using the swipe gesture a lot more with my new nook.

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome of the conversation and I thanked Patrick for helping me.  I wish he would have acknowledged the known problem earlier in the conversation.  Also, I'm just paranoid about giving out my credit card number.  Lastly, the whole ordeal took way too long.  I was on hold for over 45 minutes and the total time was about an hour and ten minutes.  But worth it in the end.  For those of you trying to get through, don't hang up.  And once you get on the line, don't get upset at the person on the line.  They are just following a script.  It seems that talking to a supervisor helps.  I've read other posts saying the same thing.

Good luck.

- Bill

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting that bill.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Thanks for the post Bill, that's great news.  I hope they are addressing the button issue in the future and I will also be taking extra care of those buttons.

Contributor
I_ride_GaryFisher
0 Kudos

@diggerjim - i was finally able to get through to support today - 3pmEST.    

Here is the best advice that I can offer:  When I called, I made sure to tell the customer service rep that the crack in my rt. fwd button was interfering with the operation of the nook.  This seemed to resonate with him and we didn't go down the 'cosmetic' damage path.  Basically, since the crack developed I've noticed that after I click the button the nook may page forward 2 pages or not at all - although most of the time it works fine.  This seemed to happen more often as the crack grew in size.  It eventually grew to the entire length of the white casing on that side of the device.  It worrisome enough to me that I'd like to have the device replaced.  He agreed.  

The rep issued me an RMA number while I was on the phone and I chose to have BN send me a replacement and when I receive it, I'll unregister the cracked one and ship it back to them.  All in all - I was pretty frustrated that I called 2x prior to today and was put on hold for significantly long periods and I had to hang-up.  But once I spoke to a rep today - I found BN to be very responsive and professional.  IMO - they certainly are standing behind the nook and their warranty.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

Quote:   I found BN to be very responsive and professional.  IMO - they certainly are standing behind the nook and their warranty.

I've been waiting till the supply problem clears up before I send send mine in for this crack.  If they are finally in a position to cross ship it may be time to do so.  Its the only real issue I have with the device.

But this standing behind the warranty issue is a big deal.  Apple iphones when thru periods of total C-R-A-P where devices were being bricked left and right.  But they stood behind the phone replacing them just as fast as you could bring them in,  sometimes replacing 3 or 4 phones to the same user until they got a good one.  Many if not most of these bricking phones were caused by Apple's own software.  Still they replaced the device even if it ended up being user error.

The nook costs 259 retail, so we can guess its costing B&N no more than $130 to $160 to manufacture a nook.  That means the replacement will wipe out all profit on that nook sale.  But it keeps you as a customer, and it keeps you buying books.

Its just good business.

Contributor
I_ride_GaryFisher
0 Kudos

@icebike...

I did ask the customer service rep if they had nooks available for my replacement.  he explained that they did have replacement devices in inventory - he said that they are kept seperate from their new order inventory.  So, I'm expecting mine later this week & I did receive a confirmation that mine was shipping.  (this confirmation email had a bogus shipping date like my pre-Christmas order did - but I'm not worried - the un-reliability of their fulfillment system dates is pretty well accepted).

Good luck with yours. 

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

When I initially played with a nook at the store, I noticed that the page turn buttons being on the flex bezel were different than the slightly mechanical ones on the Kindle.  I wondered how long it would take to have a problem with the rather stiff and hard to press bezel plastic ?   Well...   

This seems like one of those micro engineering problems; just how much plastic to use for the bezel button area and how flexible vs stiff should it be.  Did they test with a pressure gauge ? Almost every other cellphone, camera, remote, ipod or other electronic device laying around the house with a "touch" area is either micro-mechnaical or cap-touch sensitive....  But in this case, for max power saving and max life of the bezel button area, I would have to go with the micro-mechanical page turns like on the Kindle.

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

I'm so glad to heart that B&N is replacing these broken nooks. I hope that if I have that misfortune, I'll have the same experience. Thank you all for posting your experiences and please continue to do so! This makes me a little less nervous while awaiting the arrival of my nook! (Class of Feb 12)

Frequent Contributor
Hmr28
0 Kudos

Has anyone received a replacement only to have the same problem? I am wondering how much is due to the people who have the problem reading a lot on their devices...in other words is this a problem all the nooks are going to have eventually or is it just a few duds? Does anyone know what is causing it? I just bought a warranty becuase I read about the problems on here and was worried with the amount of reading I do that i'd end up with the problem.

Contributor
GadgetDude
0 Kudos

For those of you that have had cracks, I was wondering if any of you had experienced the lost bookmarks problem and were forced to page back to where you were?  Just wondering if the cracks might result from normal pressing during reading of if a period of constant clicking might have been involved (either way it should NOT crack).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I have 1.1.0, and like most users with that version loss of book marks is not an issue.

I never set or use book marks, because my nook remembers its place in each ebook.  The only time it will lose its place is if I plug it into my computer while an ebook is open.

I've not had to page forward furiously to get to my location.

I found myself pushing the pg forward button at the outer edge.  I've since found that pushing on the printed > portion flexes the bezel less than pressing on the edge.

The only good thing about this is now that my bezel has cracked all the way thru from edge to screen it pages forward with much less effort.  (I know, making a silk purse out of a sows ear)...

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I don't have any crack problems, but since I read about these, I've been more conscientious about how I push down.  I find that if I use the "flat" part of my thumb (rather than the tip), and push directly on the arrow, that it seems to be more of a "diffuse" pressure than if I am pushing with the tip of my thumb or finger, which concentrates the pressure on a more specific point.  Of course, now I'm completely neurotic about it too, so I finally got the touchscreen swiping down as well!

Reader 4
wtstonerjr

[ Edited ]

Status update.  I got my new nook!  It took less than 48 hours from the call to customer service.  The old one is all packed up and I'll drop it off at the UPS store on lunch break today.

I saw the post about replacing the white bezel on my own.  I certainly would have been willing to do that if they would have offered it as an option.  All I can assume is that they don't have a stock of replacement bezels.  I hope they read these posts and get a clue.

Just a little more background info for you, since I've seen people ask these types of questions:

Q:  How long did I have it?

A:  Exactly one month.  Got it on Christmas Eve.  Noticed the crack on Jan 24.

Q:  How many books have you read?

A:  Six.

Q:  Did you page forward a lot to get back to your page.

A:  No, I either use bookmarks or just return the furthest read point.

Q:  Which button do you use the most?

A:  The page forward button on the right (the one that cracked).  However, I'll be swiping a lot more with the new one.

Q:  How long did the customer service call take?

A:  Hour and ten minutes.

Q:  Did they try to say it was abuse and not covered?

A:  Yes and no.  He didn't come right out and say it was my fault.  Read my original post.

Q:  How long did it take to get the replacement nook?

A:  To my surprise, less than 48 hours.  The email I recieved had a bogus ship date almost three week out.

Good luck to you if you have a cracked button.

- Bill

Frequent Contributor
Xandie

I havn't been keeping track of this thread, I only now just read the last entire page. For reference if others had this problem, the individual I spoke with at B&N who ended up sening me my replacement was named Eden (a man). Clearly though, as the problem is becoming more widespread, more reps are aware of it...

To answer another question, my replacement has not yet cracked - but I've also had it less time than I had my first one. I certainly hope if it cracks again it does so within a year... :smileyhappy:

I do have bookmark problems, but I swiped quite a lot to begin with, so I dont think that was the problem.

Xandie

New User
nocturnes

Given I've been waiting for my nook to ship (Feb 1), I decided to send mail to CS to get their take on this issue :

Hi, 

I have a nook ordered for Feb 1 shipping, and have been following the

eBooks help boards at B&N. I am very concerned about the cracks that

folks are getting on the forward buttons ? this clearly appears to be a

quality issue. 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Crack-on-page-f

orward-button/m-p/443923#U443923

Is B&N taking any steps to address this issue before shipping out nooks

to those of us who still haven?t received them? 

And their response:

Thank you for contacting us.

Please be advised that the crack that has been appearing in a few of the nooks is a manufactures defect. If you receive a nook with this defect, we ask that you call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) so we can issue yo a replacement.

We hope this information is helpful and we look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Samantha

Customer Service Representative

Barnes and Noble

http://www.bn.com/

So, looks like they now acknowledge the problem!

Inspired Contributor
skatekarate
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

^^That is EPIC - this combined with the release of the only ok-ish apple tablet removes any doubt I had about the nook up to this point.

Now only if it would ship already :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
DiggerJim
0 Kudos

nocturnes wrote:

Sincerely,

Samantha

Customer Service Representative

Barnes and Noble

http://www.bn.com/

So, looks like they now acknowledge the problem!

LMAO!!! Samantha was the name of the lady who told me it wasn't covered because it was cosmetic. Good news though - Laird just told me it is covered, they've decided that the bezel is an integral part of the nook and they'll replace it :smileyvery-happy: I wonder if they had straight faces talking in CS rep meetings about whether the bezel was integral to the functioning of the nook...

I'll post when I get my replacement.

New User
BostonMA
0 Kudos

...just wanted to chime in here that my nook also developed a hairline crack in the plastic of the right side forward button.  I'm concerned as well that the replacement will do the same.  I'm mailing my nook in for replacement on Monday.  I'll be sure to report what happens with the replacement in a month or so. 

Overall, I'm disappointed in the quality issues, both software and now hardware.  Kinda sorry I bought the thing, but glad B&N is honoring their warranty.

Contributor
dz74
0 Kudos

I think I will wait a while for a fix as well.  It is not the fact that I will get a replacement.  It is the fact that I will have to drive 2 hours to find 3G coverage to register the replacement like I had to do with the one I have now.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

So funny that I saw this, mine is cracked as well in the exact same spot. I am going to have to call as well.