Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Case Crack

Chinook wrote:

I feel your pain. Mine cracked just 2 months after purchase. Lukily, the in-store reps swapped it out for me. I guess i'm going to start using the swipe gesture more. It irritates me that a design flaw is essentially dictating how I must use my device in order to keep it from breaking. I think that sentence is going to be my signature on this forum from now on. haha :smileyvery-happy:

I don't think its a design flaw as much as a plastic selection flaw. They needed a much more pliable plastic to use frame-buttons rather than real buttons.

Still its their problem, and so far they are standing behind the product with replacements.

I've already had one replacement, and don't want to go thru the hassle of getting another one, so I'm using the swipe for now.  (Its generally agreed to be easier anyway once you get used to it).

So If mine cracked again with the limited button pushing I do, I'd live with it till near the end of my warranty, then send it in,  with the hopes that by that time any replacement would have a permanent fix (new frame design/plastic).

The cracks look bad, but the buttons still work, even when cracked all the way across the frame.

In the mean time I just use the swipe.  Its easier.

Reader 4
buttoned-up
0 Kudos

My Nook developed a crack by the page turning arrow and B&N was very good about replacing the Nook.  I also had the scratch resistant cover that I will not be able to use on the replacement and B&N will not replace this.  I like the added protection of the cover, and skin cover,  but hesitate to relace them in case the new Nook aslo develops a crack. Has any one else had this issue? 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

buttoned-up wrote:

but hesitate to relace them in case the new Nook aslo develops a crack. Has any one else had this issue? 

There is hundreds of posts on at least two different Cracked Button threads.

So, yeah, quite a few have had that  issue.

Your new one will crack too if you continue to use the buttons for turning pages.

Until a total redo of the top bezel of the nook this will continue to be the case.

You can get it replaced.  But as of this point in time it will come with the same bezel.

Best bet in my opinion is to wait till you hear of different bezel construction on replacements

and suffer thru in the meantime.

Or you can get it replaced, and then use the swipe method to avoid cracking the new

one and ruining yet another skin.

Reader 4
Physalia
0 Kudos

I went to a BN store in Westchester to try out the nook... and I saw that the display model (operational one of two weeks old) was already cracked in the same spot.  I have been swiping the pages to avoid a crack. 

for sure,  it is a flaw!  but I love my nook.

Contributor
RagdollLover
0 Kudos

I just came back from the BN in Waterbury CT.  I walked in, explained the cracked case and what I've read on the internet (thank you all for helping me feel that it wasn't me breaking the case) and they replaced the entire unit immediately.  They must have said they were sorry for the inconvenience at least 5 times.  I was in and out with the new Nook w/in 15 minutes.  BN I have always been sooooooooo impressed with your customer service!!!  I've been a BN 'book/audio' member for many years and after this experience I will continue to be a committed member for many, many more!  KUDOS BN:smileytongue:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Ragdolll_over,

I am very happy that you received the type of service that is expected from us.  These boards and their members are great in their assistance and are invaluable with their wealth of the information they volunteer.

Also, if you ever have any issues that I can help with you can always PM me.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
crollings
0 Kudos

yes, mine is cracked in same place.  Did you have to send yours back and wait for new one or are they just sending you a new top?  I need to know how to handle this. C

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@crollings,

Please contact our Customer Service line for assistance and details.  The number is 1.800.843.2665 (1-800-THE-BOOK).

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Frequent Contributor
kristi_c
0 Kudos

does the crack under the next button page hurt the device?  The crack doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if it would mess anything important up?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

kristi_c wrote:

does the crack under the next button page hurt the device?  The crack doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if it would mess anything important up?

I don't think it does hurt it in any way.  It continues to function fine.  The cracked part is just a plastic cover over the switches.

Once its cracked from the edge to the screen it continues to work just fine and gets no worse.

Theoretically if you cracked both buttons on one side of the device that entire section might fall off.  

Contributor
braesmom6
0 Kudos

Thank you! I thought I had done something so once I read this I immediately called customer service and they are sending a new one should be here Wednesday!! I love my nook and now I love the customer service!!

Reader
BrianFortLauderdale
0 Kudos

I too experienced a cracked page forward button on my nook.  Customer service was VERY quick to send out a replacement nook.  B&N has the best customer support I've ever had.  Thanks B&N!  

Oh, and yes, I'm using the swipe gesture for turning pages as much as possible now :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
bkgdck
0 Kudos

I now have my third nook. First one I had for three weeks and then the crack appeared. Second one lasted a week. Now I hope this one will be the last. Only had a nook for four weeks.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Mine just cracked the other night.  Went to the store and they wouldn't replace it so I had to call CS and my rapid replacement is on its way.  It is weird that some Brick and Mortar stores will replace them while others will not.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Mine just cracked the other night.  Went to the store and they wouldn't replace it so I had to call CS and my rapid replacement is on its way.  It is weird that some Brick and Mortar stores will replace them while others will not.

My stores wouldn't replace mine either.

I was told that the page turn button issue has been fixed.  My buttons look almost the same, but the satin finish on them is a little more matte and the arrows are slightly wider and a bit less crisp looking.  The buttons feel a little tighter but take less pressure to activate at the same time.  The issue was supposedly fixed sometime in May.  My new NOOK came preloaded with the 1.3 software, so it seems to be one of the newest ones (most people here who recently bought NOOKS had to update their software on their own).

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

My NOOK that cracked was one of the originals from December.  It was so old it had the black bottom and not the grey one ;-)  I hope when I get my new NOOK it is the one with the fixed bezel.  I honestly was just waiting for it to happen!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
New User
Laura-NC
0 Kudos

Cracked Face Plate

I am SICK of holding on the phone for help with my Nook.  I've had it 6 months and the face plate is already showing a stress fracture from pressing the page turn key.  Anybody else have this problem?  I don't have an extended warranty.  Is this something covered under the nook's one-year warranty? 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Face Plate

Laura-NC wrote:

I am SICK of holding on the phone for help with my Nook.  I've had it 6 months and the face plate is already showing a stress fracture from pressing the page turn key.  Anybody else have this problem?  I don't have an extended warranty.  Is this something covered under the nook's one-year warranty? 

Well....since it is the folks at the nook customer service center than can answer that question for real....I'd suggest you follow the "rules."     Yes, others have had this problem and had their nook replaced for free.   Obviously, no one here can say if YOU will or won't.

For what it's worth, the times I've called Customer Service, I've had a real person on the line within a couple of minutes.

---------
Don
Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Look up cracked cases on the thread people have had this issue call support line and they will get you another nook. I have heard if you call the b&n support line the warranty only covers a refurbished nook. However, if you call your local b&n if they have any in stock they might agree to exchange it on the spot then you get a brand new nook and dont have to wait for the refurbished one in the mail. I took mine in the other day because my buttons were creeky when pushed. I got a brand new nook which came in a new case with update already so hopefuly the issue has been taken care of.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

amillio wrote:

Look up cracked cases on the thread people have had this issue call support line and they will get you another nook. I have heard if you call the b&n support line the warranty only covers a refurbished nook. However, if you call your local b&n if they have any in stock they might agree to exchange it on the spot then you get a brand new nook and dont have to wait for the refurbished one in the mail. I took mine in the other day because my buttons were creeky when pushed. I got a brand new nook which came in a new case with update already so hopefuly the issue has been taken care of.

This is not true.  The crack on the page turn buttons is a known issue with the plastic.  It is a manufacturer's issue from whomever B&N had make the faceplates, and is covered under the regular warranty, not the extended warranty.  Many B&N stores won't replace them; it's done at the manager's discretion.  When someone calls CS with the issue, that person will receive a brand new NOOK.  I just had mine replaced last week.  It was sent through B&N's Rapid Replacement service,and then had to send back my original NOOK, so I was never without one (they took my credit card information as a guarantee that I would replace the first one, and I had 14 days to do so).  Thye emailed me a UPS label and I packed my broken NOOK in the box the new one came in, taped the label to the box, and sent it on its way.

I received a new NOOK preloaded with 1.3 software, and was told that the issue has been fixed on the new ones.