Contributor
akaMonkey
0 Kudos

DOES YOUR NOOK FREEZE UP OFTEN?! It's getting on my nerves.. :(

It doesn't happen when reading my ebooks but if I'm navigating through the menu or whatnot it just stops responding!  Is this happening to anyone?  I would feel better if so, even though I still want to throw it against the wall from time to time.  There should be a way to fix it..  I have to call customer service and whine  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

Re: DOES YOUR NOOK FREEZE UP OFTEN?! It's getting on my nerves.. :(

Mine has frozen up twice since Christmas, both times within the last two weeks, and always when it's been sleeping. I try to wake it up and nothing happens, so I pull out the battery and pop it back in and it's good to go after that. 

I've heard of three other people who've had a problem like mine, but you're the first I've seen that freezes up when they're actually using it. Sorry to say it, but it sounds like a bad sign. :smileysad:

Reader 2
Nanny-J
0 Kudos

Mine just froze up today and has been out of commission since about 11:00 a.m.   I was just going to try taking the battery out and putting it back in but decided to check these forums first.  Thanks for letting me know that battery removal will work.  Very annoying!!!!

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92

I'm curious as to whether or not you have an SD card installed... If so, try removing it.

Contributor
Floydian
0 Kudos

I have a solution to the problem.  Do what I did.  Return the thing to B&N and demand you get every dollar back that you paid for the thing.  It eased my nerves considerably.

Contributor
Sassybug
0 Kudos

Mine freezes about once a day requiring a restart. It is very annoying and I usually have to use the find feature to get back to where I was in my book by choosing a word that is unusual in my story.

I have not had to pull the battery yet.

I do not have a mempry card in it.

There is no rhyme or reason for it to lock up either. Nothing the same each time. grrr...

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

It happened to me twice. Both times I was in a Borders and using the B&N network. (It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. :smileywink:) I was using it to check my wishlist and search for titles int he B&N network.

Both times, I brought it home, popped off the cover, took out the battery, and plugged it into the wall, and it started up again. Then I put the battery back in so that it could charge up.

Contributor
bayt
0 Kudos

Yes, this has happened to me twice now in the same week, its starting to get on my nerves too, every time i get in bed and try to pull my nook out of sleep to start reading it is unresponsive, doesnt work, i have to get out of bed find the screwdriver pull the battery etc... very annoying. The times that ive tried just to shut off the thing it loses my bookmarks so its a double edged sword... waste time finding the page or waste time pulling the battery... sigh

New User
carwsu
0 Kudos

Mine was doing the same thing.   I think at least for me the problem is that i live and work in an area with marginal cell service so it is working so hard to maintain that connection that it freezes.  I don't know if that is what is really happening.  I just know  I turned it on Airplane mode and I don't have that problem anymore.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Floydian: So I take it that you decided to return your nook after all?  I knew you were having issues, but last I read you were going to wait for a couple of updates.

As for the freezing/locking-up issues, I've experienced it twice.  In both instances, nook was sleeping and was unresponsive.  In the interest of attempting to troubleshoot, it might be more useful to post some additional details.  I'm not sure what kinds of details would be the most helpful, but perhaps things like the following:

• What were you doing when nook froze? (Some already post this, so thanks!)
  • Were you accessing sideloaded content?
  • Were you using a SD/SDHC card?
  • Were you accessing a network (3G or Wifi)?
Things like this might help us create a kind of ad-hoc database to narrow down some of the potential causes of these issues.  While it's fine to see that some are having issues, it really doesn't help too much to post a "me too" style of message.  There's no way we'll ever really be able to gauge the percentage of users having the same issue (unless B&N tells us, I guess), so all we can really hope to accomplish is do our own style of QA.  To see that 100 users (I made that number up) are experiencing freezing issues doesn't tell me anything unless I know the total number of users and how they all use the product.  I won't bore everyone with more statistics, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

[Steps on soapbox]
I've had great experiences with my nook (albeit with some minor growing pains), and I honestly want everyone to have similar experiences.  That's why I come here to post; not to champion B&N, but to champion new ways to read and learn.
[Steps off soapbox]
New User
kate_ken
0 Kudos

Just got my Nook yesterday!  It has frozen 4 times since I got it :smileysad: I wish I could say exactly what I was doing when it happened each time, but most recently I just had been showing my kids the machine and we pulled up a book and changed the font.  Then I put it to sleep.  When I woke it I changed books to the one I was reading, the font was still small and so I began the process to change the font back to a larger one and it froze.  Before I was able to turn the machine off by using the power button, now that does not even work.  I do not know how to remove the battery...

I do have hope!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kate_ken wrote:

I do not know how to remove the battery...

I do have hope!

Well, you certainly have hope of learning how to remove the battery.  :smileywink:

This formum has a search feature.

Place nook face down on desk.

Lift tab above where the usb cable plugs in  (poping noise normal)

Work fingernail over to corners, lift off.

Get tiny screw driver.

remove batter screw.

Wiggle out battery.

Edit begins below with correct method:

1. Unplug or eject the device from the USB or outlet

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED illuminates, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and begin charging.

5. If the yellow LED does not illuminate after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery. If you have a spare battery or another NOOK, insert the known good battery in the faulted NOOK and power on the device.  The device should boot up.  At this point you can re-insert the old battery and charge.

6. If it doesn't boot up, leave the battery removed from the device for at least 10-15 minutes.  This step basically allows the battery to “reset” then go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

9. If the yellow LED does not come on in 30-60 seconds and none of the above steps have resolved the issue, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Please also make sure that you have the v1.4 update.

To verify you have the latest update, go to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.4.0.

Here is the download page for sideloading the update:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

New User
kate_ken
0 Kudos

Many thanks for the battery lesson. I will wait for the answers to the freezing issues (I hope!)

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

No, never.  My nook has been working extremely well overall, with no freezing issues.  I'm a very happy nooksterite.

Only hiccup so far has been some books in My Library getting stuck on "Formatting..." but learned of the get around of putting those books in My Documents.  I expect that to be fixed in 1.1.2 (according to CS).

As dumb as this may sound, I hope none of you are confusing a book being stuck on formatting with the nook itself freezing.  :-)

When I get this formatting issue, the left arrow on the touchscreen is still active so I canstill exit out of the book having this issue.

Contributor
GadgetDude
0 Kudos

Had my nook for two weeks and it has never frozen.  I've been reading every day but once I had my books loaded the day it arrived I have always had WiFi and 3G turned off (I'm reading - didn't feel the need to connect to anything).  I wonder if the freezing is related to radio use - how many of you with freezing problems have the radio(s) turned on?

Frankly, I have been delighted with my nook, no freezes, no problems with any books (including the ADE book I am currently reading checked out from my library), SD card, sideloading etc. 

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

I've had mine since Christmas and the past two weeks it's been freezing while in sleep state once every couple of days.  I finish reading and put it down.  Sometimes when I open the cover I find it on the page I last read and I can't get it out of sleep unless I restart it, then I have to flip to the page where I left off, which really sucks.  Last week I removed the battery and put it back hoping that might help, but it still happened.  I had Airplane "on" and after reading here that that may be causing the problem, I turned it off, but it still froze. 

Evelyn
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Evrosado wrote:

I've had mine since Christmas and the past two weeks it's been freezing while in sleep state once every couple of days.  I finish reading and put it down.  Sometimes when I open the cover I find it on the page I last read and I can't get it out of sleep unless I restart it, then I have to flip to the page where I left off, which really sucks.  Last week I removed the battery and put it back hoping that might help, but it still happened.  I had Airplane "on" and after reading here that that may be causing the problem, I turned it off, but it still froze. 

Evrosado,

What was the battery state when you put it down for the night on those nights that it froze vs.. those that it didn't?

New User
Bcadfael
0 Kudos

Mine has frozen twice while in sleep mode. Both times the battery was completely discharged. The first time, it recovered when I plugged in the charger. However, the second time I had to remove the battery, then plug in the charger and insert the battery. Customer service has agreed that my battery is defective and is going to replace it. If you experience this problem, check your battery level as soon as it recovers because yours may be defective also.(note: the second time this happened, the battery dropped from 62% charge to zero in about 3 hours)

Frequent Contributor
Joykins
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine started freezing. Once or twice it froze while I was reading or doing something on the touchscreen, or did not go to sleep after I put it down and froze instead.  Always on a reasonable amount of battery charge (70% let's say). I was lucky that depressing the power button would reboot it, so I didn't need to take it apart, except for 1 time it crashed during a reboot and I had to plug it into the wall socket and then it rebooted fine).  I deregistered it, restored factory settings, and reregistered it, re-downloaded my books, etc. At the same time, I started manually setting it to sleep every  time I put it down, even if only for a few minutes.  Between those 2 things, I went from multiple freezes a day to one every week or so.  BUT!  The thing that started happening is ... instability? when I go to wake it up from sleep.  1-3 times a day I go to wake it up from sleep and it reboots instead of waking up.  This is much less annoying than multiple freezes although either way I lose my  place for non-pdb files.  It's at the point where I can live with it, although I had rather not, and I hope the next update will help with this.

I contacted B&N about this  -- 3 calls where I gave up after ~45 min on hold, and 1 email.  Think they will ever get back to me? 

Distinguished Correspondent
magictaco
0 Kudos

I have had my nook since December 14th.  I fully read the instruction book and I have never turned it off, except when it was neccessary to update 1.1.0.  My nook has never frozen, I have never lost a bookmark, I can always go to my last page read.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

~
Have a taco. I love you.