Contributor
TechnoDoc
0 Kudos

Re: Only had nook for 3 days. This thing is useless buggy mess.

Sounds like YOUR nook may be a useless buggy mess (although there is always the possibility that it is user error or you are an Amazon troll).  MY nook, even as I have dealth with some of its growing pains, has always worked, and is a pleasure for me to use every day.  Have you come here looking for help, or just to rant?

I would suggest you search the boards for your specific problem(s) to see if you can find help, go to a B&N store and see if they can help, or call the service number.  If you just want to bad mouth the nook, do so on the Kindle forums...you'll be certain to find many more sympathetic folks there.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I've not had any problems with my Nook at all and I've added tons of gutenberg free books as well as some free and bought ones from the BN store. It even loaded a 30mb pdf file of a manga comic book really fast.

If you only had it 3 days return it for another one just to see if it was a bad unit.

Contributor
Naggeneen
0 Kudos

Oddly enough, I'm betting on his not having registered it as being the answer.

Naggeneen

Reader 2
AltaMan
0 Kudos

I've had some problems with my nook also. Got it last night, and it locked up on me once when trying to connect to our home wireless network. After re-booting it, I didn't have any problems with it all night - even got it connected to the house network.

But this morning I brought it into work to show a co-worker who's contemplating getting either a nook or the oher brand. And it locked up on him 4 or 5 times with in 10 minutes. And it has since locked up on me once or twice.

I'm still enjoying it so far. But it can get a little annoying when it just randomly locks up on you.

Inspired Contributor
skatekarate
0 Kudos

@Original Poster

That's weird, the nook works for everyone else...

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Look at his account.  He has only posted this one comment.

It sounds like someone just trolling the web forum.   I mean seriously - he tried all of the things he has mentioned and has not asked even one question on the forum ?

But - if he can't figure out how to use the Nook, or it is causing him problems  - then buying a Kindle is definitly an alternative.  No reason to hold a gun to a persons head over what electronic ereader they use.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
New User
fuzzywig
0 Kudos

Sounds like you and I have had the same experience!!

New User
fuzzywig
0 Kudos

I registered mine and I am having multiple problems.

New User
fuzzywig
0 Kudos

if this person has a bad unit then so do I----mine is doing the same.

Contributor
NotSoFast
0 Kudos

I love how people just assume that Kindles don't have problems, too.  Go read their forums.  If you wanted a nook (you obviously did, you shelled out $259 for it) and it doesn't work, bring it back and swap it for a new one. 

New User
dooitslo
0 Kudos

I purchased the Nook today and I'm enjoying it very much. I followed the simple instructions and was reading a book within ten minutes. A lot of us fail to realize that this is an electronic device, developed and built by human beings. As such, getting a defective unit is always a possibility. I feel that our society is becoming "technology spoiled." Things that we didn't think possible 20-25 years ago are now available to us. Patience is the key!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

fuzzywig wrote:

That's a distinct possibility.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

fuzzywig wrote:

Just my opinion, but I think you should return it and get a Sony.  Or Kindle.  Or iPad.

(Just funnin' you!  I figgered one useless post deserved another!  :smileyvery-happy:)

Contributor
SkipperGirlVA
0 Kudos

Check you account to make sure that your credit card is correctly entered and valid.

New User
gypsypsyc
0 Kudos

I have spent the last two hours trying to buy a book through wi-fi.  Never could get it to work.  Now I can't get to My Documents - won't load.  Tried powering down, taking out the battery etc.  This thing is going back tomorrow. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

gypsypsyc wrote:

I have spent the last two hours trying to buy a book through wi-fi.  Never could get it to work.  Now I can't get to My Documents - won't load.  Tried powering down, taking out the battery etc.  This thing is going back tomorrow. 

I would try and help you work through your problem, but as I see you will have returned your device by this time I won't waste your time.

Contributor
ExileJelly
0 Kudos

Why do people get so defensive/nasty when other people post about problems they've had with the nook?  Is it that outrageous to expect a $260 device to work well?  And I don't mean work IF you take out the battery, plug it in and hit the power button enough times in the correct order, spin around 3 times and turning it upside down before putting it to sleep, or any other convoluted "fix."  I mean, just work, like lots of things we buy in our technologically spoiled era just work.

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

ExileJelly wrote:

spin around 3 times and turning it upside down before putting it to sleep.

Do I spin around three times or do I spin the nook around three times before putting it to sleep?

Contributor
Naggeneen
0 Kudos

I think some of the reactions you're seeing have more to do with the fact that so many of the posts that claim "irrepairable problems" with their nook seem to be posted by people who come in, leave that message and then never return... leaving the impression that these folks could very well be just fans of the Kindle who want to come over and try to leave negative publicity where people researching the nook as a purchase might find it.

Now, this is not to discount every problem that's mentioned, but the community here has always been willing to help anyone who's asked and - I think - usually helped the person find the right answer.

But even I've noticed that these, "I've reset the device, pulled the battery, everything!" posters never seem to ever come back.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

ExileJelly wrote:

Why do people get so defensive/nasty when other people post about problems they've had with the nook?  Is it that outrageous to expect a $260 device to work well?  And I don't mean work IF you take out the battery, plug it in and hit the power button enough times in the correct order, spin around 3 times and turning it upside down before putting it to sleep, or any other convoluted "fix."  I mean, just work, like lots of things we buy in our technologically spoiled era just work.

I don't think any of the posts are "defensive/nasty."  This is a user-to-user help forum.  If someone comes in and complains about "problems" and, "I've done everything, dang it, it's a lousy piece of equipment and going back," there's no question there and while everyone has the right to vent, if you are not willing to make an effort to pinpoint whether you have a problem that may easily be fixed or unwilling to exchange a possibly defective unit before condemning the brand, you haven't done everything.

We do expect these things to just work, but, unfortunately, that is not always the case, especially with a first-generation product.  I expect my Nook to work, and it does.  It froze once, but it may have been something I did, I don't know.  All it required was a hard reset.  If I was having the constant freezing others are reporting, I would walk back into the store and get a replacement.