Contributor
HappyHeartAZ
0 Kudos

Re: DOES YOUR NOOK FREEZE UP OFTEN?! It's getting on my nerves.. :(

Bought my first NOOK about a week ago.  FREEZE!  FREEZE..FREEZE.  Returned it to the B&N store and got a replacement. Second one was worse than the first.  Couldn't get past the title page without a FREEZE.  Looks like they have a real problem.  Gave me a full refund for the device and cover.  I got the impression that I wasn't the first customer to complain.

My e-book will stay out in space until i get an e-reader that works..

New User
yvonneme2
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook keeps freezing up.

I received my NOOK as a Xmas gift. Sad to say it has been a $250.00 mistake. It freezes constantly!!! The 14 day window for a refund has closed so I am stuck with it!!!!!!

And yes I have done the tech support thing several times. Taking the back off and taking the battery out is not my idea of fun or functionality!!!

Too Bad BN won't do the right thing and give refunds (past the 14 days).

If you don't have one don't buy one!!!! A waste of money.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook keeps freezing up.

Have you requested a replacement?  Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.  There's no way you should be taking the battery out constantly.  

There are many posts about  things to try before you resort to removing the battery.  Also, there are some posts on shimming the battery, and others encountering freezing because they are not giving the Nook time to process commands.

I got mine mid-February and only had one occasion where it froze and was taken care of by powering it down.  I've not yet opened the back of the unit.

New User
Kevin_91
0 Kudos

Nook Frozen

I was loading a sample ebook that I downloaded Friday night to read and the screen is frozen on the cover page.  I have taken the battery out twice but it is still fozen on the same screen.  any other options???

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Frozen

[ Edited ]

Plug it into the wall charger.  It might reboot all by itself, but if not,

Try holding down the power button for 20 seconds, then let it up, and tap it again.

This is your first post.  So I'm assuming you haven't read very many threads here about frozen nooks.  There are dozens of them.   I also suspect you haven't read the manual, (not slagging you, just going with the odds here).

The nook screen can hold an image even with no power. (The beauty of eInk).  If you remove the battery and put it back in and its still frozen on the same screen it means your battery is totally dead.

If the method above does not work then do this:

Remove battery.

Plug in nook to wall charger with battery still out.

Nook will boot.  Let it finish, then, with it still plugged in, put battery back in.

Let it charge fully, till the light goes out.

New User
JaniceMO
0 Kudos

Nook Freezing

I received my Nook as an anniversary gift from my husband. I love the book but the first one froze on me twice and I fussed with my local B & N until they gave me another one. Unfortunately this one has frozen up two times already. My husband can take the battery out and put it back in and then it freezes up again. It is so frustrating. I like the book but I am starting to wonder if it is worth the trouble.....

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest

Re: Nook Freezing

[ Edited ]

My pet theory is that the charge sensing code is poorly designed.  Most people who have freezing problems have them when the nook is new, then it clears up.  (Or so it seems from the anecdotal evidence in these forums.)

My advice: 

- completely charge your new nook before doing anything with it.

- turn off wifi unless you're using it at the time

- use the nook normally from full charge down to the time-to-charge warning.

- plug it in and fully charge it.

- repeat the previous two steps two or three times.  It should be good to go at that point.

If it freezes during the first few full charge uses ...

If it is not powering up try these steps:

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug or eject the device from the USB or outlet

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED illuminates, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and begin charging.

5. If the yellow LED does not illuminate after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery. If you have a spare battery or another NOOK, insert the known good battery in the faulted NOOK and power on the device.  The device should boot up.  At this point you can re-insert the old battery and charge.

6. If it doesn't boot up, leave the battery removed from the device for at least 10-15 minutes.  This step basically allows the battery to “reset” then go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

9. If the yellow LED does not come on in 30-60 seconds and none of the above steps have resolved the issue, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Please also make sure that you have the v1.4 update.

To verify you have the latest update, go to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.4.0.

Here is the download page for sideloading the update:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

New User
ReadforLife
0 Kudos

Just bought one yesterday, playing around with it before registering, just checking it out, it froze on the Library. I tried the hard reset, no luck. Tried plugging it into the wall outlet, no yellow charging light, at that point wasn't sure it was supposed to have one, so left it for about an hour. No change in battery charge indicator and no change in time. So, this morning look on B&N for troubleshooting. Do the battery thing, still showing the Library on main screen. Tried the hard reset holding power button down about 45 seconds, still showing Library on main screen, nothing on touch screen.  Nook is going back to the store today for a refund. This was a gift for a friend, my friend will be getting a Kindle2. Love my Kindle2.

New User
ReadforLife
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Frozen

Thanks IceBike, your last suggestion worked. Took out the battery, plugged into the wall, it rebooted. YAY!! Feeling marginally better about my Nook purchase. We'll see what happens.

Contributor
CWCGCMSLA
0 Kudos

You are my new favorite person!  I have been struggling to unfreeze my nook for days, and now it is alive again! :smileyvery-happy:

New User
TM20
0 Kudos

So what do you do when you remove the battery, plug it into the wall outlet and it DOESN'T boot up?  All of the many posts I've read, including yours, have ended with that one statement:  plug it into the wall with the battery out and it will reboot.  But mine doesn't.

I've tried all of the recommendations I've read here, to no avail.  I can't get my nook to charge or reboot - it's just frozen and probably dead.

BNDavid
0 Kudos

Hi,

After having the battery removed and the unit plugged into the wall did you put the battery back in even though the device didn't reboot?  Try that.  If that doesn't help kickstart your device then it might be time to call Customer Service:  1.800.843.2665 (1-800-THE-BOOK).

Best,

David

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

TM20 wrote:

So what do you do when you remove the battery, plug it into the wall outlet and it DOESN'T boot up?

You call customer services, obviously.

New User
BooknookCO
0 Kudos

Re: Nook not working!!!!!

I cannot open my first book.  I get the error msg "Sorry, unable to open this book".

Ideas?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

Re: Nook not working!!!!!

BooknookCO wrote:

I cannot open my first book.  I get the error msg "Sorry, unable to open this book".

Ideas?

Call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), select option 2 for Digital Support.

They can help you with this a lot better than we can.

(Don't let your experience with other companies' support lines put you off. B&N's support is generally prompt, pleasant, helpful, and it's not located in India.)