Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
KaufmanGirl
0 Kudos

Re: DON'T BE FOOLED - THE NOOK HAS TOO MANY ISSUES AND B&N CUSTOMER SERVICE STINKS

Issues???? My Nook hasn't had any problems only a few glitches. I did get the frozen screen but I did that by pushing the turn page button way too many times too fast. ( tried to flip pages..didn't work ) That was my fault not BN.

The times that I have called BN, they were nice and tried to help me .  If it was a "Where's my Nook?" or "Did my Nook ship yet?" , they where always nice and gave me my answer. Always courteous.

As for Kindle, I don't have one and have never played with one. But have a Ectaco Jetbook and love it.  Amazon CS I have never really had problems with on the few things that I have received.

I am sorry you are having problems with your Nook, the majority of us probably aren't.

Frequent Contributor
svsu

Re: DON'T BE FOOLED - THE NOOK HAS TOO MANY ISSUES AND B&N CUSTOMER SERVICE STINKS

I am a big fan of Amazon. I have spent thousands of dollars there as they seem to have it all at a decent price. However, I am NOT a fan of the Kindle. Just personal preferences and one not being the snottyness in their forum. I have asked for their reasons for liking kindle vs nook and all the snots come out in droves attacking me and B&N ( I could care less about attacking B&N as I do the same from time to time). To put it bluntly: The kindle fanboys are some of the most rude, obnoxious snobs who love to toot their own horns about an average reading device.  I will admit the nook was released too early. However, B&N will address all these issues and the nook will become the worlds most advanced ereader. They have made some  progress on their ebook prices in the past month.

I have no major complaints about the kindle- its just the kindle fanboys who drool snot all over that repulse me.

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

EileenP wrote:

As for restocking fees, Best Buy and I am sure most other big electronic players have the same thing.

So far I have not had the locking/freezing screens, and although my highlighting is not working now, I have never been thrown back to the home screen. 

As far as I understand, Best Buy restocking fee is 15%.  Talk about CS-ordered $3000 widescreen notebook computer online for instore pickup, computer was defective, which they even admitted at the store when I returned it for an exchange-they would not do a same item for item exchange, but required that I had to place the new computer on my credit card and wait for a refund on the first.  This for a return that I made in person within 24 hours of getting the computer and not having it registered, and them even having their uh, geek squad try to get it to work. 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

nfbisme wrote:

EileenP wrote:

As for restocking fees, Best Buy and I am sure most other big electronic players have the same thing.

So far I have not had the locking/freezing screens, and although my highlighting is not working now, I have never been thrown back to the home screen. 

As far as I understand, Best Buy restocking fee is 15%.  Talk about CS-ordered $3000 widescreen notebook computer online for instore pickup, computer was defective, which they even admitted at the store when I returned it for an exchange-they would not do a same item for item exchange, but required that I had to place the new computer on my credit card and wait for a refund on the first.  This for a return that I made in person within 24 hours of getting the computer and not having it registered, and them even having their uh, geek squad try to get it to work. 

You should contact corporate.  The restocking fee at Best Buy does not apply to damaged or defective merchandise. 

Reader 4
jannsguard
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

svsu writes

Just personal preferences and one not being the snottyness in their forum. I have asked for their reasons for liking kindle vs nook and all the snots come out in droves attacking me and B&N ( I could care less about attacking B&N as I do the same from time to time). To put it bluntly: The kindle fanboys are some of the most rude, obnoxious snobs who love to toot their own horns about an average reading device.  I will admit the nook was released too early. However, B&N will address all these issues and the nook will become the worlds most advanced ereader. They have made some  progress on their ebook prices in the past month.

I have no major complaints about the kindle- its just the kindle fanboys who drool snot all over that repulse me.

this is so hostile....doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing;  there's room for everyone liking the e-reader of their choice.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

While I somewhat agree that the initial rollout of nook was a little less than smooth, I don't really know if it's fair to attack B&N more so than any other company that has an initial offering like this of an entirely new product (for the company).  I love Apple, but I can't help but think back to the initial iPhone rollout and all of their issues (including short supply).  I don't necessarily agree with it, but early adopters often pay a price for having their new gadgets before anyone else.  It seems like that kind of thing is here to stay.  

I've worked as a QA engineer for a large company (we made vibration analysis software and hardware), and I can sympathize with the difficulties in releasing a completely error-free product.  I was in the third wave of nook owners, so I never experienced first-hand any of the v1.0 issues.  However, I know there are still some issues with v1.1.1 that I'm looking forward to seeing addressed in subsequent software releases.  While I understand the difficulties involved in a complete QA assessment, I always appreciate more communication by the company during these times.  The lack of communication is one thing that I might suggest B&N try to correct for their future releases.

As for Amazon, I've never had a bad customer experience with them - just like I've never had a bad experience with B&N.  I've never had cause to call Amazon, and I make most of my purchases from them.  I actually did 90% of my Christmas shopping from Amazon this year and had no issues.  When I was experiencing my initial issues with my nook freezing and extremely poor battery life, I called B&N and was told that there was a very long wait time.  It was suggested that I call back between 5 and 11 pm EST.  When I called back (right at 5:00 pm), the representative that answered my call was extremely nice and knowledgeable.  Instead of having me wait on hold for technical support, she took my name and phone number and promised that a tech supervisor would call me back within the hour.  I was weary after reading all of the experiences posted here, but I received a call back around 20 minutes later.  The nice tech supervisor listened to my issues and then overnighted a new battery to me.  Since then, I haven't experienced any issues with my nook, and my battery life is much improved.

Of course, everyone will have their own tale - either positive or negative.  I just wanted to share my experiences with both companies and as a QA engineer.  It's extremely difficult to test for every error and every scenario.  I'm not saying the initial software wasn't buggy (it sounds like it was), and I'm not excusing it.  I am just saying it isn't rare to have this kind of experience with "revision A" hardware/software.

Contributor
Floydian
0 Kudos

BartleyR7,

That is the first time I heard of B&N calling someone back.  I have tried that before with them, and after telling several times that tech support would call back within "the next hour or two", I never heard back from anyone.  So this is good news.

I can understand where you are coming from from a QA perspective, but this goes way beyond anything I've ever experienced.  But your note is encouraging.

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

You should contact corporate.  The restocking fee at Best Buy does not apply to damaged or defective merchandise. 

Sorry didn't mean to imply that they charged me a restocking fee on the exchanged defective laptop, I think that's their policy for non-defective returns.  I just didn't like the idea of having to put $6000 onto my credit card in order to do an even exchange of a defective item.  They also have a pretty draconian exchange policy when it comes to items without receipts-I wanted an exchange on a defective DVD that I was given for my birthday and didn't have a receipt, but had the packaging with their sticker and the price on it.  Ok, I know my fault no receipt, but my niece gave it to me and didn't keep the receipt.  Since it had been on sale at some point within the last 30 days, I had to pay the difference in the price on the sticker and the sale price for an even exchange. I no longer shop there and on this I did write corporate who were VERY snotty in their reply though I pointed out in that year I had spent a sizeable amount of money there and was on my best behavior (unlike here).  Just some examples of CS today.  Off topic sorry.
New User
Starling3
0 Kudos

I, too, had a bad experience with B & N customer service.  I received my Nook on 12/24, and like many, I tried to download books when the system crashed.  I was very frustrated because there was no way for me to tell why this happened.  The Nook itself just displayed a message that there were connection problems and to try again later, but there was no way to tell if my Nook was the problem or if there was a systemwide problem.  I realize it was a holiday, but a message on the B & N website would have been courteous.  I spent hours on the phone the next day trying to reach customer service, to no avail.  I called back several times, and all I could get from the person who was going to transfer my call was "The Nook is a wonderful product" and shock at the fact that I was having a problem.  Well, after waiting for over an hour on hold on a previous call, how shocking could that be?  What other support problems could people be calling a bookseller for?  I finally drove to my local B & N and was able to download a book, and the customer service reps there told me what to do so that I would be able to download from my house.  Later that day, when I started up the Nook, it froze, and customer service was closed.  Luckily I was able to find out how to unfreeze it from the posters on this board.  In all, I agree that B & N pushed out a product to cash in on holiday sales and left a lot of issues to be resolved.  Some acknowlegement of this fact on the company's part would have been appreciated.  We, the customer, are not wrong for calling out the company on their response to problems that have or could have occurred.  I am enjoying my Nook now and hope that the remaining problems will be resolved.

By the way, I have taken many items back to Best Buy.  I have never had a clerk at the return desk ask any questions about why the item was being returned.  In fact, I returned a Blue Ray player over the summer, and inadverdently had my old DVD player in the Blue Ray box (after reconnecting the Blue Ray several times to see that the product was incompatible with my early model plasma TV).  How did this happen?  Well, the clerk never looked in the box.  When I went home I saw that the Blue Ray was still on the floor.  The old DVD player was put in the Blue Ray box, which was why it couldn't be repacked the way I received it.  I had to call the Best Buy store to tell them that I was bringing back the Blue Ray (which I couldn't use) so they wouldn't think I was trying to steal it.  I couldn't believe that any company would be that careless.  I wouldn't worry much about restocking fees at Best Buy.

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

I don't want this to devolve into a topic on Best Buy, so all I will say here is that bears out my point, everyone has different experiences.  You had good ones with Best Buy, I have had some horrible ones in store with them and with their corporate.  So, as I can't say everyone should stay away because they will treat them horribly, neither can you say I should shop there because their customer service is always great.  My point is everyone has subjective experiences that inform their decisions.  I personally won't shop at Best Buy because of how I was treated by them and because of how they acted with a defective $3000 item which was their problem.  I have had way too many other issues when shopping there including NO help when trying to purchase a high ticket item, but having no fewer than 5 associates all over me when looking at which PS3 game or which DVD to buy. This is the way CS is, if you like how you are treated you do business with the company, if you don't, well then, you don't. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

BartleyR7 wrote:

While I somewhat agree that the initial rollout of nook was a little less than smooth, I don't really know if it's fair to attack B&N more so than any other company that has an initial offering like this of an entirely new product (for the company).  I love Apple, but I can't help but think back to the initial iPhone rollout and all of their issues (including short supply).  I don't necessarily agree with it, but early adopters often pay a price for having their new gadgets before anyone else.  It seems like that kind of thing is here to stay.  

OMG, isn't that the truth!  In fact, I didn't get an iPhone (and I wanted the thing, believe me!) until the 3Gs because I wouldn't purchase it until it could cut and paste!

Early adopters are a different personality type, we understand this type of thing and somehow have the patience for it even if we don't have patience for anything else! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
JBNH
0 Kudos

If you don't like it get your money back or as much as you can, bad mouth B&N and go sulk in a corner.  It's the same thing for every product since the beginning of time.  Seriously, getting so upset over something so little is crazy.  Have a taco! lol

Contributor
Mochasmom
0 Kudos

Maybe we should start burning books too!!!

Did you guys not know that you are buying a beta product? Did you think it was going to be perfect out of the box?

If you were buyer unaware, shame on you for spending the money. You never buy the first of anything unless you check the little box that says "Yes, I understand I may have issues with this product and therefore may need to spare some patience".

I suggest you give up now, return the Nook, pay the restocking fee, and lick your wounds. It's tiring to come to the board and listen to all the Kindlers rag on and on about Nook.

Enough, go read a book, in paper format.

Distinguished Correspondent
magictaco
0 Kudos

JBNH wrote:

If you don't like it get your money back or as much as you can, bad mouth B&N and go sulk in a corner.  It's the same thing for every product since the beginning of time.  Seriously, getting so upset over something so little is crazy.  Have a taco! lol

An excellent suggestion!

~
Have a taco. I love you.
Inspired Contributor
Tomas_46
0 Kudos

Mochasmom wrote:

Did you guys not know that you are buying a beta product? Did you think it was going to be perfect out of the box?

I fully expected my nook to have some early product pains this early in its life cycle, but I also hope that B&N works dilligently to get those problems corrected, and that the product will grow to be as good as I hope it will.

So, while I recognize that as a very early adopter I should (and do) expect problems with the product and even the customer service for it, I also understand that calm and detailed descriptions of any problems I encounter can help the folks working on correcting problems.

Some folks obviously don't "get it" and should never be "early adopters" of complex products. Others of us have been through this many times and are used to the process (some, like myself, have even been developers or designated alpha and beta testers of tech products over the years, and can recognize the vast difference between alpha testing, beta testing, and early adopter type problems).

Is my nook perfect? No. Do I expect changes to be made to make it better? Yes. Am I upset that it is not perfect? No. It is an excellent product with great potential that in some ways it has not reached yet.

I'm not worried.

(Now back to reading my book...)

Tomas - University Place, WA
Contributor
Oso-Average
0 Kudos

Got my nook as a Christmas present from my boss on 12/24. Charged and began using right away.

This is the first ereading device I have owned, so I had no expectatoins.

So far, I have downloaded about 66 ebooks, and 4 issues of an emagazine subscription.

I have charged it about 6 times since Dec. 24 and have used it every day, throughout the day.

The only drawback so far seems to be with the battery. I wasn't sure what to expect from the battery, especially with heavy usage, but based on B&N technical and other people's experiences, it seems that I should be getting longer times out of this battery before I have to recharge it.

Other than that, I am satisfied. Probably helps me cope with poor battery life that I didn't have to fork out $$ for it.

Inspired Contributor
Tomas_46
0 Kudos

Oso-Average wrote:The only drawback so far seems to be with the battery. I wasn't sure what to expect from the battery, especially with heavy usage, but based on B&N technical and other people's experiences, it seems that I should be getting longer times out of this battery before I have to recharge it.

Last year I got a new Smart Phone, a Palm Pre. (How early? The one I ended up with was actually a pre-release unit used for beta testing and product review.)

Along with everyone else who got an early Pre, the battery life was absolutely atrocious (8 to 10 hours).

After a number of over-the-air software updates, it now has about five or six times that battery life.

I fully expect that with upcoming software updates B&N will be able to refine the operating system, applications, and power management of the nook to greatly improve its battery life, too.

Tomas - University Place, WA
Contributor
Oso-Average
0 Kudos

I fully expect that with upcoming software updates B&N will be able to refine the operating system, applications, and power management of the nook to greatly improve its battery life, too.

I hope so, I am really enjoying my nook either way as I'm never far from an electrical outlet anyway.
New User
WT_Sharpe
0 Kudos

I've experienced many the same things. My biggest complaint is with the note-taking and highlighting functions, but I’ve had other issues as well that I never experienced on my Kindle.

Did I get a bum Nook?

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Any issues I've had with my Nook were the result of my failure to read the manual.