Contributor
JoWaRi
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Dictionary

I cannot find how to access dictionary.  There is no "Look up Word" anywhere that I can see.

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

Re: Dictionary

While reading a book, there should be an option on the touch screen for looking up a word. You may have to scroll down a few options...soory for the vague answer, this is from memory and I have only done it once.

Once you select "look up word" the cursor should appear at the top of the page and u can navigate with the touch screen. Hope this helps!

Contributor
JoWaRi
0 Kudos

The only options showing are Find, Go to, Bookmarks, and Font.  No way to scroll down.

Contributor
JoWaRi
0 Kudos

Ooops!  Sorry, just found out how to do it!  Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

You are welcome. Enjoy!!

Contributor
Noblue
0 Kudos

Is it just me or is the dictionary not much of a dictionary.  It can't find many of the words looked up....

M9
Frequent Contributor
M9
0 Kudos

You are very right. The dictionary is the least functional dictionary I have ever used. Actually it is almost useless. I really hope that Barnes and Noble fixes this. It is one of the most important issues with nook. A good ereader should have a workable dictionary. This one defines 2 in every 6 words I look up. And that is on a good day.

Frequent Contributor
nook-ebooker
0 Kudos

M9 wrote:

You are very right. The dictionary is the least functional dictionary I have ever used. Actually it is almost useless. I really hope that Barnes and Noble fixes this. It is one of the most important issues with nook. A good ereader should have a workable dictionary. This one defines 2 in every 6 words I look up. And that is on a good day.

yes, that and it's very slow... imagine wanting to look up 2 words... even more of a pain cause you have to scroll all the way back down with the unresponsive E-Ink cursor.  Other than that, the device is pretty cool

Contributor
Noblue
0 Kudos

Please join me in my corner of being scorned by nook...

It's probably in another thread, but there's too many to look through so I'll ask it perhaps again.  This update of firmware/and or software will it fix all these problems.  I mean I love my Nook but the issues are pretty bad considering the price we payed for them.  Problems: Dictionary couldn't find 'fungus', if there's a footnote attached to the word the nook crashes and goes to the home screen.  Nook doesn't have an option to go back and forth to where the footnotes are as far as I can tell. The swiping to turn pages works on and off and sometimes tells me to go swipe myself....at least that's how I feel after it worked after 20 pages and then decided to ignore me.  Do you all remember in the Daily on your home screen, the first lettter or note by Dave Berry, and it read like a funny intro to your nook in a most unhelpful way.  I thought it was funny, because honestly it gave the opposite effect of confidence in the stability of the nook.  After using it I had a mental image of Dave Berry laughing hysterically while reading threads like mine.  And the end of his congratulatory note on the purchase is truly on point, the only support you can imagine is talking to your nook, which in private I have done and pleaded with it to be good...the mircrosized typist must be on strike....... <sigh> I feel like a scorned soul in a one sided relationship....:smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

Kevin and JoWaRi:  I must be missing something.  I can't find the dictionary after reading your solution and JoWaRi said she figured it out, but she didn't say how!  I have no choice to "look up word" on my screen and I cannot scroll down past Find, Go, Bookmarks or Font.  They are my only choices.  Am I missing sometihg?  I checked the user guide and all it says is on the digital page, choose "look up word" and I don't have that choice.  I have not searched the board high and low for this answer and if I just can't use the dictionary for whatever reason, it's not the end of the world, but I am so curious as to why I do not see "look up word" and if there is a way to make it appear, I want to know!

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
ediebTN
0 Kudos

Litimar, does your touch screen have a slding bar on the right with those choices?  If so, you can 'flick' the choices up and down to continue reading the list.  Your other choices in the list are highlights and notes, look up word, and open audio player. 

Contributor
evanratt
0 Kudos

I noticed yesterday, while reading the New Yorker, that the "highlight and notes" and the "look up word" options were not there. I do see them while reading books, so I assume they're not active (for whatever reason) when reading an eMagazine? It does seem strange not to have them available for magazines...

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

This may sound ridiculous, but my answer would be yes . . . and no!  I do see what appears to be a sliding gray bar on the right of the touch screen where Find, Go To, Bookmarks and Font are, but if I run my finger up and down the bar, nothing happens.  I definitely do not have highlighting, notes or the audio options there either.  I am thinking something is wrong with my software. 

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

ediebTN:  also, my "open audio player" option is actually under The Daily

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

you shouldn't run your finger up and down the bar - you should "push up" in the middle of the touch screen.  Think of it as mimicking a scroll wheel in reverse, you push up when you want to get to stuff below, as if your physically pushing the stuff at the top off of the screen.  Once you get used to it, it's pretty intuitive (iphone works the same way, so if you've used that, you'll know what I'm talking about!).  

Frequent Contributor
JenRuiz
0 Kudos

Litlmar, I found that if I am reading a PDF the 'look up word' function is not there. But when reading an actual ebook it is. Don't know if that helps, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
0 Kudos

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Dictionary is only available for books downloaded from B&N.  Doesn't make much sense, does it!

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

very-simple:  THANKS A BUTTLOAD!  I guess I'm just one of those people who need to be walked through it like a child, LOL!  The suggestion by edieb pretty much said what you did, so I thank her as well, but her suggestion to flick didn't "take" in my pea brain; your description to "push up" in the middle was what my mind hooked onto - YAY!  I kept looking at the slide bar on the right trying to use that.

THANKS SO MUCH!:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
ediebTN
0 Kudos

Glad you've got it figured out now. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Glad I could help.  It's amazing to me how many things we think of as "intuitive" are actually learned behaviors.