New User
phix23
0 Kudos

Re: Please join me in my corner of being scorned by nook...

they are laughing at us. dave berry is laughing the loudest.

this dictionary issue is a huge problem for me. #1 the "definition not found" message is almost always popping up.  words nook doesn't recognize include glancing, taller, anaemic, examinations, cantilever...#2 the merriam webster edictionary that is free shows up and is usable on my bn ereader for mac and my bn ereader for itouch is not even downloaded on my nook.  and yes, the words are all there in that epocket dictionary. #3 customer service in store, on line and on phone is VERY substandard. none of the bn people to whom i've spoken own a nook, know how to use one and are simply making up answers as they go along. aaargh. im seriously contemplating just...

New User
phix23
0 Kudos

Re: Dictionary

this dictionary is a problem.

this dictionary issue is a huge problem for me. #1 the "definition not found" message is almost always popping up.  words nook doesn't recognize include glancing, taller, anaemic, examinations, cantilever...#2 the merriam webster edictionary that is free shows up and is usable on my bn ereader for mac and my bn ereader for itouch is not even downloaded on my nook.  and yes, the words are all there in that epocket dictionary. #3 customer service in store, on line and on phone is VERY substandard. none of the bn people to whom i've spoken own a nook, know how to use one and are simply making up answers as they go along. aaargh. im seriously contemplating just...

Contributor
Celtics1
0 Kudos

Agree.  7 out of 10 words can't be found especially if they end in -ly, -ing,etc......surely the Merriam Webster dictionary Collegiate version that is used holds all these words.....what is being done about improving the dictionary B and N??

Frequent Contributor
reefer
0 Kudos

i have been asking the same question about the dictionary, but we have yet to hear a response from BN or the admins on this site. i dont even know if they consider the dictionary a problem, i wish they would be more transparant....

New User
mktonka
0 Kudos

Please, help needed. I need step by step instructions how to access the dictionary.  Thank you

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You place your finger on the touch screen in the middle of the selection items and push the list up until you see "look up word" .  You do not use the scroll bar which in this case only gives you a hint on where you are in the list.  See page 41 of the 1.2 user manual shows scrolling.

That brings up a directional pad (d-pad) which you use to navigate to the word you want and you then select look up.

As noted the current Dictionary needs work.  It only finds the word if it exactly matches the main entry for a word.  It doesn't find any variations or secondary definitions that are seperate entries in the dictionary.  It doesn't allow you to examine other words or do a new search.

Contributor
Celtics1
0 Kudos

The dictionary is EMBARRASSING!!  Please reply BN as to will be done to fix this.  What a waste!

New User
mktonka
0 Kudos

Thank you so much.  The explanation that I read on-line made no sense to me. I have another question - turning the pages by swiping.  Sometimes this works and most of the times it does not.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks again for your help!

Contributor
JoWaRi
0 Kudos

I had not been able to use the finger swipe feature either until I found a message from AnacondaCamp after I used the search term finger swipe--it is on the second page.  It even has a picture showing the proper technique.  Works everytime for me now.  Hope this helps.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

On swiping it has been pointed out in another thread that when the color screen is dark and your holding the nook with both hand a light moving swipe to the right of the nook sign on the black bar works better than doing it on the screen, works every time for me

New User
lutrasimilis
0 Kudos

I do not have time to read through what has been said in this thread but a quick glimpse suggested that I should voice the same complaint many nook early-adapters already have -- THE DICTIONARY!

Let's face it. There is no dictionary in nook!

There is a "Look Up Word" function which is NOT a dictionary. A dictionary is something you can look up ANY word you have question about its meaning. There are two major problems with the current LUW function in nook. FIRST, it's painfully slow to use -- we are at the mercy of where the word appears on the page. Good lucks if it is the last word in the bottom most line! SECOND, the Merrian-Webster concise version is famous for using partial thesaurus as dictionary -- it doesn't give you the meaning of a word, other than a synonym. With a REAL dictionary, sure, I can then look up the synonym until I hit one word that I understand, but it's a dead end now for the noon LUW function.

I just got the nook and actually enjoy reading on it. I hope B&N takes these comments seriously and gives us the REAL dictionary.  

New User
gayl01
0 Kudos

Thank you, your advice helped me out also.  Follow Very-Simple's directions exactly as described and you will find it.

Contributor
sergestorms
0 Kudos

They really need to address the dictionary as it is useless.

• A start would be, at least, enabling the user to immediately scroll to the bottom and work up.
  • Add an optional, purchase dictionary, that can be used with the nook with added features????
New User
IReadingNook
0 Kudos

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the next software upgrade that will fix the DICTIONARY issue. Right now, there is no dictionary period. The function is useless. Like many of you already found out that looking up a word is almost impossible. 7 out of 10  it can't find a word.

B&N please fix this ASAP,  this device to me is not up to my expectation if the dictionary function is not going to be addressed. I am so reluctant to show off this device to my co-worker because it has such major flaw.

New User
barbiecollector
0 Kudos

Can you share how you found it....I have been looking and haven't figured it out yet (although it sounds like it might not be worth figuring out!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Barbie, that is a very old post that you responded to. 

The dictionary now works fairly well.  Certainly much better than it did before v1.3.

As far as finding it, the dictionary is not displayed in your library.  It is "found" while reading an ebook.  Look for "Look up word" in the main menu when you have a book open.