Frequent Contributor
nightowlin
0 Kudos

Help with Downloaded Books from Public Library

Hi, I just got my Nook yesterday.  The reason I choose the Nook over Kindle was mainly because I could download free ebooks from my local library.  According to what I read, Nook could read ePub and PDF format types.  I just downloaded a couple of books, but when I tried to send them to my Nook, it acted like it was working, but I don't see them on my Nook.  They are not in my list of books.  Would these be found elsewhere?  When I tried to resend them, the computer said they were already stored on the Nook.  I guess I am missing something.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Help with Downloaded Books from Public Library

Did you download and install Adobe Digital Editions.  You need ADE for most library books.  See the link in my signature to FrogAlums very good post on ADE and library books.  

The library books need to go in either Adobe Digital Editions folder or the My documents folder, not the My B&N folder.

Also when you disconnect the nook from the computer, make sure to Eject it before disconnecting and sometimes you have check for new content in the My Documents Section to get the items to show up.

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

"Sideloaded" books like this will appear in your Library in the section called My Documents rather than My B&N Library. 

From the main menu, tap My Library, then tap View My Documents.  If you don't see your books there, let us know.

Frequent Contributor
nightowlin
0 Kudos

When I hit "Library," all I get is the list of my B&N Library books.  I do not see a My Documents icon.  Where would I find that.   I am sorry I am so clueless here!

And, yes, the books do show that they are stored on the Nook in the ADE list.

Thanks.

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nightowlin wrote:

When I hit "Library," all I get is the list of my B&N Library books.  I do not see a My Documents icon.  Where would I find that.   I am sorry I am so clueless here!

And, yes, the books do show that they are stored on the Nook in the ADE list.

Thanks.

when you tap the "my library" icon on the main menu of your nook It will open a list called "My B&N Library". On the touch screen, the top option will be "View My Documents". Tap that and you should see a separate list that includes NOOK Tour and NOOK User Guide (the 2 Documents preloaded with your nook) and anything you have "sideloaded" including the library books. 

There are 2 separate lists of books in the "Library"  "My B&N Library" will be anything you've downloaded over Wi-fi or 3G from your nook (also includes items you purchased online from B&N that download to your nook when you hit "check for new B&N content" or when it does the daily check for content at 5am or whatever) "My Documents" will be anything you've loaded from your computer via USB. 

Hope that helps!

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

My Documents is one of the choices in the color screen pane, after you've chosen the Library icon. If you don't see it, you may need to scroll up or down to see all of the options.

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
nightowlin
0 Kudos

I have the book covers showing and I can't seem to figure out how to shut that off.  I remember turning it on yesterday.  But, how to shut it off, I can't remember.  By looking through the manual, I see that I should have a My Documents listed here, but nothing by pictures for me!  Yikes, I feel dumb!

Frequent Contributor
nightowlin
0 Kudos

Oh, my goodness, I just figured it out!  Thank you all so much.  The books are there!  Great!

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

nightowlin wrote:

Oh, my goodness, I just figured it out!  Thank you all so much.  The books are there!  Great!

Great! So glad it worked for you. Enjoy your library books!  I'm reading one right now.