Inspired Correspondent
jynclr

How to read Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub books

I have not found a thread such as the one I am now posting so I'm going to do it for future nook owners and those with questions on how to read these two specific eBook files types. This is for Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub books. I gleaned this information from several posts and did my own experiment.

The nook WILL read secure Adobe PDF and secure Adobe ePub files. This is how you do it. (Note: These instructions do not address any possible technical support issues you may encounter. Also note that I am writing how to do this for a Windows 7 computer. Windows XP will be similar. I don't know anything about Macintosh and whether the process would be the same.)

On your computer, perform the following steps:

1. You will need the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software. You can download it here: Adobe Digital Editions
  2. When you run the ADE software for the first time you will be prompted to register your computer. Registering your computer will require a unique ID that will be tied to an email address.
  3. Next, plug in your nook. (Note: If ADE does not automatically recognize your nook, close ADE software, plug in your nook, then start ADE. If ADE still does not recognize your nook, search the forums for help on this issue as it is beyond the scope of these instructions.)
  4. Through the ADE software, authorize your nook.

Now that you have ADE installed and your nook authorized when you want to purchase a book that is in Secure Adobe PDF or Secure Adobe ePub perform the following steps:

1. From the eBook retailer site, when you have chosen a file format, during the download process you will be prompted by your web browser on what you want to do with the file. Select the option that says, "Open with: Adobe Digital Editions." This should be a .acsm file. This file tells ADE where the download of the actual eBook is.
  2. ADE will automatically read the .acsm file and proceed to download the eBook into ADE.
  3. To get your eBook in ADE onto your nook plugged into your computer, you will see the nook on the left hand pane. Drag the ebook from the right hand pane to the nook icon in the left hand pane. The mouse cursor will show a green "+ (plus) symbol. Drop the ebook onto the nook. ADE will copy the file to your nook.
  4. From Windows explorer, find the drive your nook device is connected to. Right mouse button click and "eject" the nook from your computer. (If you have an extra memory card on your nook, find the drive for that memory card and "eject" the memory card from your computer also. ALWAYS eject the nook and it's memory card from the computer.)
  5. It is now safe to unplug the nook from your computer.

On your nook, perform the following steps:

1. From the main menu on the bottom bar, select, "My Library."
  2. From "My Library," if you are not already in "My Documents," select that option.
  3. Select "Check for new content."
  4. You should see your newly purchased Secure Adobe PDF or Secure Adobe ePub book.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: How to read Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub books

jynclr wrote:

The nook WILL read secure Adobe PDF

Are you sure about that? The nook manual specifically says that it only handles unsecure PDF (page 98).

On the other hand, Adobe says that Adobe Reader Mobile version 9 does handle "DRM security for both PDF and EPUB files". And nook uses ARM 9 for EPUB and PDF.

I'm wondering if the nook manual is trying to suggest that it can't handle PDF files secured with eReader DRM instead of the usual Adobe Content Server (ADEPT) DRM. It certainly can handle EPUBs secured with eReader DRM, because that's what B&N is switching over to.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Doug_Pardee wrote:

jynclr wrote:

Are you sure about that? The nook manual specifically says that it only handles unsecure PDF (page 98).

On the other hand, Adobe says that Adobe Reader Mobile version 9 does handle "DRM security for both PDF and EPUB files". And nook uses ARM 9 for EPUB and PDF.

I'm wondering if the nook manual is trying to suggest that it can't handle PDF files secured with eReader DRM instead of the usual Adobe Content Server (ADEPT) DRM. It certainly can handle EPUBs secured with eReader DRM, because that's what B&N is switching over to.

Actually the nook can not read PDF documents requiring a password to open.

The nook can read PDF files secured with eReader or ADEPT DRM.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

jynclr wrote:

I would not have made that statement if I wasn't sure.

As an experiment, I downloaded this book in secure Adobe PDF format:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b80692/Bobby-Conroy-Comes-Back-from-the-Dead/Joe-Hill/?

I used the steps I have outlined above to get that ebook in my nook. I am able to open the book in my nook to read it.

This is a screenshot from my bookshelf on Fictionwise.com showing that I have purchased the secure Adobe PDF format. It is the only option I have to download:

And here is a screenshot of this same eBook opened on my nook, taken today for my response to you:

To reiterate: I used the steps I outlined above to get this secure Adobe PDF file on my nook, using the Adobe Digital Editions software to copy the eBook on to the nook. I did not use the "side loading" technique of copying the file via Windows File Explorer. 

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

jynclr wrote:

Great. That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

And LarryOnLI has explained what the manual probably meant: the built-in PDF security system, not an external Digital Rights Management system. Thanks there, too.

Larry: do you know of anyone using eReader DRM on PDFs at the moment? (Just being curious; I'm having trouble imagining who would be doing that.)

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@Doug_Pardee,

I know of no one using eReader DRM secured PDF files, although I wouldn't be surprised if fictionwise used it.

Contributor
10panda
0 Kudos

I am considering purchasing a Nook and had read somewhere in one of the comparisons that Barnes & Noble ePub and PDF was somewhat different from other versions; my concern is that I would not be able to read ebooks from my library which are in both of those formats.  Am I understanding correctly from your posted message that you have cracked the code for being able to read other versions of Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub books not purchased from Barnes & Noble? 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@10panda,

There is no code to crack. The nook uses Adobe Reader Mobile. This means it can read any Adobe protected ePub or PDF.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

@10Panda,

LarryOnLI is correct.

I did not crack any code. "Cracking" or "Hacking" any DRM protected ebooks is illegal.

What I have posted was a set of detailed instructions on how you can read secured Adobe PDF and secured Adobe EPUB files on the nook and what software to use, which is Adobe Digital Editions.

If you have Adobe Digital Editions, you have the required software to be able to read and secured Adobe PDF or secured Adobe EPUB file on your nook.

Contributor
10panda
0 Kudos

Ok, I guess my question should have been can I read ePub and PDF file ebooks from my local library.  I did see where someone else posted that their library uses Overdrive and they are able to read the ebooks.  My local library also uses Overdrive so hopefully this should work for me. 

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

10panda wrote:

can I read ePub and PDF file ebooks from my local library.

Yes, you can.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

10panda wrote:

Ok, I guess my question should have been can I read ePub and PDF file ebooks from my local library.  I did see where someone else posted that their library uses Overdrive and they are able to read the ebooks.  My local library also uses Overdrive so hopefully this should work for me. 

Like Doug_Pardee said, yes, you can. You can use Adobe Digital Editions to read books from the Overdrive system.

Here is some information:

http://www.overdrive.com/software/playersandreaders.asp

New User
sue3cats1bird
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your post!  I was able to load all of my PDF files and they are readable.  I just bought the Nook today and was ready to take it back because it would not read my PDFs.  Now I will keep it and enjoy all my books.

Sue

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Great!  Next you need to try downloading e-pub formatted books.  They usually format much better on the Nook than PDF's.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
FordTaurus
0 Kudos

Suggested for sticky.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

jynclr wrote:

Great. That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

And LarryOnLI has explained what the manual probably meant: the built-in PDF security system, not an external Digital Rights Management system. Thanks there, too.

Larry: do you know of anyone using eReader DRM on PDFs at the moment? (Just being curious; I'm having trouble imagining who would be doing that.)

I suspect several companies may still use drm'd PDF's for there books.

I certainly have found a number of such ebooks when I borrow from my library.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

@sue3cats1bird

Yay! I'm glad this helped you. :smileyhappy:

@FordTaurus

Thank you! :smileyvery-happy: I appreciate you find this helpful.

New User
CETWeber

Alas, the e-textbooks used by many schools and universities are external DRM PDFs which must be read with a specific online connection to verify the username and password while the book is in use. What's funny is that Adobe Acrobat or Reader can handle this requirement, but ADE can't for some reason nor can the mobile app. (??) When ereaders are ignored and even PDAs and iPhones aren't supported, it's pretty ridiculous. In this day and age of mobile devices and the need to multitask, it's such a frustrating and nonsensical limitation to require a computer to read a PDF!

Contributor
dallasgnat
0 Kudos

@JYNCLR (and others)

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this!  I'm new to Nook and ebooks, and could only find a fictionwise (and somewhere else) PDF version of a book I wanted and wondered if it would be worth getting it to read on the nook.  This is exactly the information I was looking for!

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

jynclr wrote:

Actually the nook can not read PDF documents requiring a password to open.

The nook can read PDF files secured with eReader or ADEPT DRM.

I thought I would add a update on this info, which was correct when posted.

As of 1.3 the NOOk can read unsecured PDF, PDF secured with ereader or ADEPT DRM,  and PDF SECURED WITH A PASSWORD.