Reader 2
lebakke
0 Kudos

I am so dissapointed in this product

I was so excited to  buy a Nook for my birthday that I decided not to wait another week for my husband to buy it on my actual birthdate.  I bought it yesterday.  Today I am seriously contemplating returning it to the Barnes and Noble store at the local mall where I bought it.

I bought this device primarily to be able to download library e-books onto.  I have purchased a couple of books directly from the B&N store and that process has been fine.  I easily downloaded my new books and can read them just fine.  I am not, however pleased with the vast amounts of erotic books in the general browsing section.  I don't want to read those titles or descriptions or see the pictures of the covers.  What's up with that?  It seems like there are more erotic offerings in the B&N e-store than real fiction books.

Secondly, I am having a dickens of a time trying to download my library books.  I have downloaded one through ADE which I downloaded onto my computer, and one through Mobipocket, which I also had to download.  When I try to transfer them to my Nook, I can see the title of the first book (the Adobe format one) in the My Documents folder but when I go to click on it to open it, It reads it for a few moments and then goes right back to the main menu. There isn't even any error message telling me what happened.  Talk about sucky programming!

The second book (the one through Mobipocket) doesn't show up at all in the Nook even though it is on my computer.  I can read both books on my computer!  Why can't I transfer them to the Nook?  I have wasted all day trying different techniques that I have read about online (here and other places) and still can't get this thing to do what I want it to do.

And two more issues;

The finger swipe thing does not work at all.

No backlight?  So I can't read at night. I can read on my ipod and not have to have paid $280.00 for a few more inches of reading space. Does Barnes and Noble seriously expect me to buy a regular reading light so that I can read at night?  What do I clip it on to??

I would love to keep this thing because the backlight issue and the page turning issue are not that much of a big deal to me.  I would keep it if I could figure out a way to download these library books successfully.  Can anyone help?

Thanks. :smileysad: 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: I am so dissapointed in this product

[ Edited ]

Where to start...

First, mobipocket is not a format that works on the nook, the only thing I know of that it works with is the Kindle.

I haven't had any problem with epub library books, wish I could help but I don't have a clue except for the basic question, did you authorize your computer and your nook (using the same email address for both) with ADE?

E-ink readers are not supposed to have a backlight, it's crazy hard on the eyes.  The booklight clips right on top or the side of the nook.  Make sure the "n" is facing up if you use the BN Lyra light.

Lyra Light

I tend to browse by genre so that bypasses all the erotica, I do think it deserves it's own "special" section though.

Are you making sure the touchscreen light is out before you try to finger swipe?  It will not work otherwise and it does take a bit of practice.

Make sure and check out the owner's manual, there is a link to it in my signature and you have a copy on your nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

No backlight!  Yes, thank god.  

You should have known this before you purchased.  This is why people buy eInk readers, to get away from the backlight and the eye strain they cause.  You can't come here complaining about a KEY selling point that works exactly as intended.  Get a reading light, of avoid the eyestrain all together by turning on a house light.  Its a book.  Read it like one.

Finger swipe DOES work.  Probably a hundred threads on these boards explain it. 

Don't complain about the titles available just because it includes some you don't like.  Pick your genera first rather than browsing all 100,000 titles in the store. 

Read The Fine Manual.  It explains how to authorize your nook for Adobe Digital Edition books borrowed from the library.  And it works PERFECTLY.  Launch ADE on your computer. Plug in the nook, Authorize nook, Drag books to the nook.  What could be simpler?

Read the FAQ and support pages: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

There are even video guides.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Read The Fine Manual.  It explains how to authorize your nook for Adobe Digital Edition books borrowed from the library.  And it works PERFECTLY.  Launch ADE on your computer. Plug in the nook, Authorize nook, Drag books to the nook.  What could be simpler?

Ahhh, the "F" stands for Fine!  Now I know!  :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MOBI: Never once did B&N ever say the nook was able to read MOBI format. They were very upfront about it reading epub, pdb and pdf formats.

Erotic books: B&N's website allows you to search departments. Why not just head into sci-fi, or fiction, or religion.

Library books: B&N didn't make your library use ADE or Overdrive. If you don't like ADE or Overdrive look for other solutions like Project Gutenberg or Feedbooks. That said people have figured out how to use ADE and Overdrive with their nooks. 

Finger swipe: It works. There are topics on these forums on hints to getting it right. Just use the search feature.

Back Light: E-Ink displays don't have backlights, you are correct. The sony, Kindle and nook all use e-ink as it emulates the sensation of reading on paper. That is how it was advertised too. It never even hinted that it had a backlight. If you want a dispay like that consider an iPad -- however your eyes won't thank you after you find that reading a computer lit screen for hours hurts your eyes... hence the reason to emulate paper in the first place.

I'm sorry you don't like your nook. I love mine. However it seems to me that in this case you filled yourself with false hopes as to what the nook was and could do. If you simply used the nook and didn't like it then I'd understand that more. It's perfectly respectable just to no like something. We all have preferences. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

Library books: B&N didn't make your library use ADE or Overdrive. If you don't like ADE or Overdrive look for other solutions like Project Gutenberg or Feedbooks. That said people have figured out how to use ADE and Overdrive with their nooks. 

Actually B&N supports ADE perfectly.  They advertise it, they have a co-op technology agreement with Adobe, and it is a key selling point.  Its fully built in.

(Overdrive is a server for ADE, it servers music and video as well as ADE books.  Not all libraries use Overdrive as their server side.)

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you're disappointed.

As others have noted, the absence of a backlight is a feature. The non-backlit "E-Ink" display is far more expensive than a backlit LCD display would be, and it's much slower to respond. But because it's so much easier on the eyes, and so much easier on battery usage, virtually every dedicated e-reader device uses it.

For the rest, I think it's mostly a matter of getting to know your nook.

It is indeed unfortunate that B&N doesn't provide some basic content filtering options for their book directory. But as others have pointed out, you just need to learn how to use the "Browse Subjects" menu items to get to what you really want to read. The stuff that initially shows are B&N's 'best sellers'. (Don't feel bad: I had my nook for over a month before someone told me about the "Browse Subjects" menu item. After I'd made a fool of myself complaining that it was too hard to find stuff on B&N. :smileytongue:)

As the others have noted, Mobipocket e-book format isn't going to work. The nook handles eReader PDB (from B&N, Fictionwise, and eReader.com), the 'industry standard' EPUB, and PDF files. PDF files, not so well, but that's the case with any e-reader.

Library books:

You should certainly be able to use e-books that you checked out of the library on the nook, assuming that your library uses OverDrive (which almost all do) or otherwise provides the e-books in Adobe EPUB. Directions can be found here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/nook-Q-A-and-Support/How-to-read-Adobe-PDF-and-Adobe-ePub-boo...

I don't know how much you know about Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and how it works:

ADE is your part of Adobe's e-book copy protection system. When you install ADE, you should 'authorize' it with an Adobe account. After that, your computer is 'locked' to that account.

When you download a library book, OverDrive sends a small file with a ".acsm" suffix; this file should start Adobe Digital Editions, and it tells ADE what server contains the e-book and how to request it. ADE then contacts that server, giving it some identification information for your computer and the Adobe account that your computer has been authorized for. The server contacts Adobe and verifies that your computer is indeed authorized for that account. The server encrypts the e-book specifically for your Adobe account and sends it to ADE to be downloaded.

To get the e-book onto your nook, ADE has to 'authorize' the nook with your Adobe account. This only happens the first time; once this is done, your nook is 'locked' to that account. ADE can then be used to transfer the e-book to your nook.

It's imperative that the same Adobe account is used for downloading the e-book and for authorizing the nook. The nook must open the e-book using the same account that it was downloaded for, or it won't open.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

nook light

FrogAlum wrote:

The booklight clips right on top or the side of the nook.  Make sure the "n" is facing up if you use the BN Lyra light.

Lyra Light

I'll also add that some people seem to really like the lights from M-Edge. I haven't seen one, personally. I've got the Lyra shown here, which works but can be a bit of a nuisance. It's easy to bump off of the nook, and the power switch on mine is erratic, requiring multiple presses to get it to switch on or off.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

Actually B&N supports ADE perfectly.  They advertise it, they have a co-op technology agreement with Adobe, and it is a key selling point.  Its fully built in.

(Overdrive is a server for ADE, it servers music and video as well as ADE books.  Not all libraries use Overdrive as their server side.)

I don't remember saying ADE didn't work with nook or was supported. What I did say was that B&N didn't force you to use ADE if you didn't like it. I then went on to say that people can get ADE to work just fine on the nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I know you didn't state that, but the tone of your post left the impression that ADE was quirky or difficult to get working, and it was your library's fault for choosing to use it.  Perhaps it was just your wording that left that impression.

The truth of the matter is, ADE is about the only choice for Libraries, its supported on all major devices, and B&N cross-licensed technology with Adobe to make sure it worked perfectly.  It is only the OP's impatience or refusal to read the instructions that makes it difficult for her.

Far from being an odd-ball or hard to use feature, its central and well integrated into the nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: nook light

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I'll also add that some people seem to really like the lights from M-Edge. I haven't seen one, personally. I've got the Lyra shown here, which works but can be a bit of a nuisance. It's easy to bump off of the nook, and the power switch on mine is erratic, requiring multiple presses to get it to switch on or off.

I have the M-Edge light which I really like. I bought 2 other clip on lights before I ordered this one and I like to so much better.  It slips behind the Nook in my case (not an M-Edge) case and is very secure and doesn't leave a glare on the screen.  Like it much better than the two clip on lights that I purchased.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I'm totally with you on the erotica.  As a gay man, I hate having to sort through all that boring stuff, too.

But straight people deserve to be entertained, too, I suppose, and as long as they're not reading it in the streets and scaring the horses, we can adjust and rise above, right? :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
SlackerLibrarian
0 Kudos

What worked for me concerning reading eBooks I checked out from the library on the nook, was me actually unregistering my nook and resetting it to factory settings (I also took it in to a B&N store for them to chekc).  I charged it back up, re-registered and then I plugged it into my computer, started ADE and VIOLA...it recognized that my nook was connected and needed to be authorized.

I hope everything works out for you, I really love my nook.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Are you complaining that you don't know how to use a search function and features of the item work as intended?

my advice, stop acting like a mormon and also research something before going "oh thats pretty....MUST HAVE"

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Dyrinn45 wrote:

my advice, stop acting like a mormon and also research something before going "oh thats pretty....MUST HAVE"

Dyrinn - it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this because if I had been, it would be all over my computer screen right now.  L to the m-f'in O L.

I saw most of the "Erotica" titles when I was cruising the free eBooks section - which brings to mind the old saying, beggars can't be choosers.  If you want the free stuff, you gotta wade through the garbage. 

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

"Johnny's job at the campus library isn't as glamorous as it sounds. In fact, when the wheels of the returns cart get stuck in the gap between the floor and the elevator, he's ready to just quit right there. But a stranger's kindness leads to chance encounter that improves Johnny's whole semester."

Anybody tried this one?  Looks like it might be worth a shot!

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

If you want the free stuff, you gotta wade through the garbage. 

No, you don't.

Just use the web site to purchase.

Select your Genera, then click the price column and all the free books of that genera sort to the top.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

Dyrinn45 wrote:

Dyrinn - it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this because if I had been, it would be all over my computer screen right now.  L to the m-f'in O L.

I saw most of the "Erotica" titles when I was cruising the free eBooks section - which brings to mind the old saying, beggars can't be choosers.  If you want the free stuff, you gotta wade through the garbage. 

thank sub_rosa, i do my best:smileytongue:

New User
TuxDog
0 Kudos

Maybe it would be better for all of us if you did return your nook.  At least we would not have to see any more posts from you.  You could have avoided that long, drawn out list of complaints if you read and researched BEFORE you purchased your nook ("no backlight") and if you had read the manual or other posts here in the forums after you purchased ("finger swipe doesn't work").

Good riddance!

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

TuxDog wrote:

Maybe it would be better for all of us if you did return your nook.  At least we would not have to see any more posts from you.  You could have avoided that long, drawn out list of complaints if you read and researched BEFORE you purchased your nook ("no backlight") and if you had read the manual or other posts here in the forums after you purchased ("finger swipe doesn't work").

Good riddance!

Quit being a jerk.  I don't need the competition.  The OP has only posted ONE message in these forums, so nobody's annoyed except maybe you.

The finger swipe didn't work for me at first either - but it was ME, not the machine.  Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy and takes less effort and motion than you think.  As for the backlight, I didn't understand why the Nook didn't have one or some built-in way of reading in the dark.  But now I do, and I find it is no problem at all having a book light.  Just like the good ol' days.