New User
Liotta1
0 Kudos

Nook Buttons Are Pushing My Buttons

Getting ready to receive my second Nook replacement due to problems with the buttons. With my first Nook (nookosaurus rex), a hairline crack developed, extending across the right-hand forward button. They sent me a replacement for that one (nookosaurus rex jr.), but the replacement has problems with the plastic creaking on the left-hand forward button and that button is not activating properly. I sure hope nookosaurus rex III works as it should since I'm getting tired of having to package up the dysfunctionals and send them back.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Buttons Are Pushing My Buttons

Liotta1 wrote:

Getting ready to receive my second Nook replacement due to problems with the buttons. With my first Nook (nookosaurus rex), a hairline crack developed, extending across the right-hand forward button. They sent me a replacement for that one (nookosaurus rex jr.), but the replacement has problems with the plastic creaking on the left-hand forward button and that button is not activating properly. I sure hope nookosaurus rex III works as it should since I'm getting tired of having to package up the dysfunctionals and send them back.

I don't have your problem as I tend to mainly use the swipe method of page turning, but I feel your pain, and would hope that B&N would resolve this.  While I'm not sure it makes a difference, when I do use the buttons to turn pages, I tend to press between the little nub and the edge of the screen rather than the outside edge of the nook.

New User
Liotta1
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback. I actually didn't know you could swipe to turn the page (must have stopped reading the demo before that point). However, I was able to find a demo video online of the best way to swipe, so now I know how to do that in case my buttons on the new Nook are uncooperative.

Contributor
Scooter742
0 Kudos

Liotta1,

I had the "creaking" button issue as well.  It is caused (at least in my case) by the Nook bezel/frame rubbing against the raised, e-ink border when you push one of the page forward/backward buttons.

I finally took the back cover off the Nook, and unsnapped the small tabs holding the frame to the Nook body.  Lifting the frame up carefully, I used a small file to shave off a tiny bit of the inside of the frame where it meets the grey, raised border around the e-ink display at the page forward button position.  This completely eliminated the creaking, and it has not returned.

I'm satisfied with this solution, but it's unfortunate that there are so many "fit and finish" issues with this version of the Nook...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Liotta1 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I actually didn't know you could swipe to turn the page (must have stopped reading the demo before that point). However, I was able to find a demo video online of the best way to swipe, so now I know how to do that in case my buttons on the new Nook are uncooperative.

I would adopt swiping as the STANDARD page turn method and use buttons only when necessary (like when shopping).

Yeah, the buttons should work as intended, should last for the life of the device.  But since we all know they won't last, why exacerbate the problem by stubbornly insisting on using them when you know you will just have to go thru the replacement process again.  

I was the first to post about cracks, and I got mine replaced once.  I switched to swipe and have no new re-occurrence of cracks.  If my limited button pushing does crack it, I'll wait till I here rumor of a new bezel before sending it back again.

New User
BridgetsMum
0 Kudos

I called for a replacement this morning as I'm having the same issues. I just hope the replacement Nook doesn't crack. My concern is that I'll have issues with cracked buttons after the warranty. So does the one year warranty start over with my replacement Nook?

Has the Nook always had the option to turn pages using the swipe method? I didn't know it had that option. It seems like they would promote it more. My husband gets tired of hearing my page clicks when he's trying to sleep so he's pretty happy at this new discovery.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Has the Nook always had the option to turn pages using the swipe method? I didn't know it had that option. It seems like they would promote it more"

Yep a swipper here also. Just wait till the color bottom screen goes black and then start swiping.

Slightly diagonal swipe from right side 2pm to 7pm is the way that works for me.

Kind of scared as don't use the buttons much at all. And a yr. or two down the line am afraid they may start cracking if I start to use them more. But hey 2yrs will be time for the full color rollable e-reader then right? :smileywink:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
librarysueSF
0 Kudos

Where is the video on the best way to swipe?  I haven't been able to get my nook to respond to swiping.

Susan

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There are LOTS of ways to swipe.

This way is my Fav, but its far from the only way.

Frequent Contributor
dee_deefl
0 Kudos

Thank you, icebike for demonstrating how to swipe.

I've had my Nook for three weeks and I was swiping incorrectly.

Thank you!