New User
BoboZ
0 Kudos

Nook Freezing

My Nook had frozen  3 times after it returned to the sleep state (authors pictures on the screen) and could not be awakened with the power button until I plugged it in to the wall socket (battery was fully charged), and the final freeze left a blank screen when I tried to wake it up using the power button. I contacted technical support and was instructed to reset it by removing the battery and reinserting it. I then had to re-register and redownload my purchased books. It continued to freeze after returning to the sleep state and I again plugged it in to charge it, the charging light came on, but after 2 hours, I unplugged it, still could not turn it on and the charge light remained ON. No amount of pushing the power button awakened it and I was not about to reset it every time this happens. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, has B&N fixed it with a download? (I returned my Nook to B&N and received a full refund, but will not repurchase one until I am assured this defect has been fixed).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Freezing

There are many many threads about frozen nooks.  The search would have found them for you.

There are many who found solutions, most of which were simply not letting it charge properly.

Others were loose batteries, which can be shimmed or replaced.  Those nooks with continued

problems in this regard can be replaced under warranty. 

Since you have returned your nook, I have no idea why you are still here.

Do you want assurance that this problem can never happen ever again?  Good luck with that. 

New User
pem1
0 Kudos

BoboZ

The freezing issue is still going strong.  Mine has frozen twice-the most recent was an hour ago.  The first time this happened the manager of our local B&N was able to get it started again; however she was unsure if her  "fix" was technically correct.  This time, thanks to your posting, I was able to get it up and going again- and yes, the manager's "fix" was right on the money!  After this restart my nook began an update download, I don't know if this download has anything to do with the freezing problem, but I intend to ask tech support (since I'm still on hold for them it seems a waste not to talk to them!).  Re-registering was a real pain, it took me three tries to successfully re-register the first time.  I have to say that every time I've called tech support they've been wonderful.  I really enjoy my nook when all is going well, but it's very disheartening,frustrating, and inconvenient when it  acts up.  If I had it to do over again, I'd think twice about the purchase.  Thanks again for the tech information, I'll let you know what the recent download was about- I'm still on hold!  

New User
pem1
0 Kudos

BoboZ

I just spoke with tech support, the download is supposed to help with the "freeze".  I was told nothing will totally stop the "freeze", but this download will slow them down. We'll see. 

New User
SanDiegoReader
0 Kudos

I'm having a similar problem, but the Nook is freezing on a page of the eBook I was reading and I can't move to another page, go back to the main menu, or even power down.

Do I really have to remove the battery to unfreeze this?

New User
Mindstretcher
0 Kudos

My Nook just froze up last night. I could not get it to power up from the screen saver. Plugged it in to charge and now have a blank page and the charge light, although unplugged, is still on. Will call to get this fixed and hope for the best. If no results or this keeps happening will return for my refund and buy the Kindle. Upsetting, as I have waited three months for my Nook and have done business with B&N for many years.

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

My Nook freezes now at least once a day, always on the last page I was reading.  A couple of times it has frozen on the screensaver.  I have removed the battery and replaced it (while Nook was plugged in).  I have Airplane on now, but some of the freezes were happening with Airplane on & wireless off.  I find it's happening more often since the latest update. I will be calling tech support on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday.

Evelyn
New User
daisymaebugbom
0 Kudos

I too have been having my nook freeze quite frequently.  My husband ordered it for me for Christmas, and I was in the group that had to wait until the next shipment was available; January 15th.  I love my nook and have been really pleased---until this last download.  Now it seems to freeze frequently; two to three times a day.  I have been able to turn the power off and on and that has worked.  Well, I guess at 2:15 this last morning--it decided to "wake up" by itself and freeze.  I can't power it down and hooking it up to the computer has not worked either.

I will try taking the battery out and re-registering; but I must admit---that sounds frustrating!  As much as I love the nook---a good ole, paperbound book never freezes!  And my chances of misplacing a book is just as good as misplacing a nook!

However, it does sound like tech support is trying to fix this issue.

New User
Pcurves
0 Kudos

Hey All! I received my Nook Yesterday (yea!) and its been frozen for over an hour now. I tried to download a free book and the screen froze blank white screen. I plugged it in and nothing is happening. I will try customer service.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Pcurves wrote:

Hey All! I received my Nook Yesterday (yea!) and its been frozen for over an hour now. I tried to download a free book and the screen froze blank white screen. I plugged it in and nothing is happening. I will try customer service.

At least try the normal things before spending an hour waiting on hold for customer services.

Hold power switch down for at least 20 seconds, then let up.

Then tap it again, and see if it will boot.

If not, remove back (pull tab adjacent to USB plug jack, popping noise normal, no tools).

Take out battery.  (small screw driver)

THEN plug it in with battery still out.  It will boot.

THEN while still plugged in, re-insert battery, screw, and back cover.

Then let it charge.  

New User
ColbyJacobs
0 Kudos

First things first - try a Hard Reset.

Press and hold Power button for 12 seconds and release. This, as stated by the PP, is not a 'normal thing to do' but is the first thing to do in a situation like this. It is understandable that you could hold on with Customer Service, but lets try some troubleshooting first as this is the first thing they will probably have you do.

After you do that, lets see what happens.

New User
mitzyMD
0 Kudos

having trouble with my Nook freezing for as long as 5 hours.  I can't even turn it off.  Help!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

mitzyMD wrote:

having trouble with my Nook freezing for as long as 5 hours.  I can't even turn it off.  Help!

If you had read this thread before posting in it, you would have seen the answer was ALREADY posted two messages above yours.

New User
BoboZ
0 Kudos

Yes, let me know if the download works. Judging from the other replies, there is an ongoing problem. However, if B&N raises their prices to $12.99-$14.99 like Amazon is doing with the Kindle, I will continue buying my paperback editions for $7.99-$8.99 and chalk up the Nook as a bad experience.

BoboZ

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

I wouldn't be surprised if those prices go up also.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

Try this, it worked for me.  tried it on Saturday (or Friday) and it hasn't frozen.  My Nook was freezing up at least once a day:

Lock-up Fix

Evelyn
New User
jonesMS
0 Kudos

Freezing over & over

I'm really getting tired of the Nook freezing up over & over.  So far the tech solution has been to remove the back, take out the battery, plug the Nook into the wall for a while, then replace battery.   Twice this week I've been in contact with the tech dept and was instructed to do this both times .  I requested a replacement Nook but have been offered a new battery to try first.  If that doesn't correct the problem then I will definitely return this Nook for a replacement; I hope I don't have to return for a refund.  A lot of hassle and I've had the Nook less than 2 weeks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Freezing over & over

Type the word "shim" in the search box and see if that helps.

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

jonesMS wrote:

I'm really getting tired of the Nook freezing up over & over.  So far the tech solution has been to remove the back, take out the battery, plug the Nook into the wall for a while, then replace battery.   Twice this week I've been in contact with the tech dept and was instructed to do this both times .  I requested a replacement Nook but have been offered a new battery to try first.  If that doesn't correct the problem then I will definitely return this Nook for a replacement; I hope I don't have to return for a refund.  A lot of hassle and I've had the Nook less than 2 weeks!

That's been happening to me and I have done the battery thing.  I'll call tech support.  It was happening every few days and since the update it's been happening more often.

Evelyn
New User
0 Kudos

I have been having the same problem except the technical guys won't send me another battery until I totally recharge this one and keep playint their games.