New User
gigii
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Wishlist for Next Update

1. More fonts.
  2. A larger font size.
  3. Native PDF support to be able to upload pdf files for reading.
Contributor
Alysson
0 Kudos

ability to sort bookmarks/hi-lights/notes & view them to go to the one I want

sync between Nook & B&N ereader for iPhone (furthest page read, categories)

better dictionary

customization in the daily (receive B&N subscriptions & updates)

ability to have 2-3 books as "currently reading" 

New User
Darkensaga
0 Kudos

I would really like some more supported formats, maybe not asap, but eventually for those of us who have lots of .doc files or any office file types for those of us who use the nook as a business and presentation referance.

Also, the touch screen seems to be clunky, especcially on the text input, so maybe a fix there wouldn't hurt.

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree with many of the suggestions on this thread. Repeated the most important ones, and added more.

1) an icon for Overdrive books saying when they are due or how many days are left (like the Sony readers)

2) a way to tell if The Daily is refreshing or not. Maybe a "refresh content" button. Right now you just have to wait to see if new content shows up which takes forever...drives me crazy! I hardly check it anymore.

3) ability for covers to show up in My Documents

4) "go to page" option

5) "go to next/previous chapter" option

6) ability to customize The Daily, even if it's just options for B&N blogs for now (like stuff from B&N Review)

7) this has more to do with the ebook store, but:  coupons and/or rebate system on ebooks (must have if B&N is going to charge more for ebooks than pbooks!!!!)

Frequent Contributor
NookSusan
0 Kudos

I now have approximately 180 documents in My Documents folder which translates to 20 pages of titles. Even with an author sort, it is almost impossible to find what I'm looking for quickly. There needs to be some kind of folder organization in the nook -- i.e. by author or user defined name -- so that it is possible for the user to find what they're looking for easily.

I love my nook and am enjoying the reading experience with it!

Contributor
infoduck
0 Kudos

The ability to Zoom, just to be able to zoom into a map on a page and actually read the placenames would be heaven.

Contributor
Actress
0 Kudos

I'd like to be able to access the overview again, i.e. reread the "back cover" again to help remind me why I brought that book in the first place. :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

As an FYI, I don't bring my nook with me to work every day, and I know we've just had an update on (?) the 5th of this month. And already I find myself checking each and every day for a new update. As it is, i don't have any life-threating issues with my nook. Yet, I'm sure I'm like everyone else, who logs in, hoping to see an update to fill our particular need. I think the worst thing about the next update that comes, is it won't make us all happy, it will likely solve some of our individual needs, but not all of our individual need. And we all want so much --even with needs overlaping-- that if they could actually track each and every one of our needs and try to incorperate it into one massive update, i couldn't possibly image what the settings screen would look like, my guess is - very awkward to deal with, and ugly too. If/when a new update comes out, assume it will not be everything you want it to be. I'd think we'd be most likely to see the most commonly requested items. And maybe a couple of the less mentioned updates, assuming the power-that-be think it might be a good update.

But like the rest of you, i check each and every day (sometimes LOTS of times a day) to see if there's work on another update.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Here is my wishlist:

• "Go To Page" ability
  • To search within "My Documents"
  • Merging of B&N library with "My Documents" - why does that need to be two separate areas?
  • Grouping my ebooks in folders.
  • Filtering eBooks by some sort of category type (this category is part of my next bullet point.)
  • A user definable list of categories
  • Search highlights
  • Search highlight notes
  • Ability to tag or name a bookmark. "page 110" doesn't mean anything to me when I also have "page 50," "page 200," etc. I may not remember specifically what is on those pages.

I haven't worked with the audio player so I have no suggestions on that at this time.

New User
annieperle
0 Kudos

Yes to all the items on the wish list.....plus.

Save a list of the words I have looked up. It would be fun to review them from time to time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Separate the music and audiobooks-there are separate folders on the nook itself, but they aren't separate when you open the audio player, so maybe a music player and then an audio book player below it.

Ability to create subfolders within the major folders much as you can do in the screensavers area.  A lot of us have books in collections or have favorite authors, so it would be great to have folders within the my documents area for different authors.

As far as the itunes like arrangement of items, yuck.  I much prefer having control over what I am loading or deleting by going to the device directly.  I hate on my iphone having to remove an mp3 from my library in itunes and then syncing it to remove it from the iphone.  Please don't do this.

Also, I would like the ability to not just archive a book, but to have a "remove from device" option like the local removal item in the desktop ereader.  I hate the all or nothing limitation of showing or hiding all archived books.  This would be really helpful especially for samples of ebooks. 

It could ask if you want an ebook completely deleted from your account or archived.  Then they might have an option on the nook for your BN library that says to search for archived books with a list of those still archived and an option to unarchive individual ones.  Right now the only options are to have a bunch of ghosted out books listed or to have them all gone.  I personally have some books I don't want to see on my nook, but may want in the future and others, I'd like to show as archived because I know I will be looking at them again soon.  Archiving makes it so they don't take up room on the nook.

Dictionary-better search function, most words don't seem to exist in the dictionary.  Root word search, definitely.

Page go to, but I understand this is based upon publishers formatting correctly.  Since it seems impossible to even get them to get chapters right, I don't know if this will work.  And I think this becomes even more impossible in the my documents area since books there can be all formatted differently. 

I also wish the touchscreen swipe worked for The Daily and when going through pages of books in your libraries or when shopping.  It only works for actually reading books.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Also, on this, I like having the my documents area separate from the BN library. There are reasons why they are separate.

Since nook can hold up to 1500 ebooks on it, I can imagine I might forget where I got one book or another and it is also possible to get a book from Fictionwise, forget I have doneso, and then get it from BN, which could really mess things up if they are all lumped into one folder. 

BN is also able to update books with re-formatted versions in that folder and might really have problems if you have a bunch of unknown content there.  A lot of things happen when you hit that check for new content item in your BN library folder.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Fizix
0 Kudos

I think the nook should be able to make coffee!  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
bleaker
0 Kudos

jynclr wrote:

Here is my wishlist:

• "Go To Page" ability
  • To search within "My Documents"
  • Merging of B&N library with "My Documents" - why does that need to be two separate areas?
  • Grouping my ebooks in folders.
  • Filtering eBooks by some sort of category type (this category is part of my next bullet point.)
  • A user definable list of categories
  • Search highlights
  • Search highlight notes
  • Ability to tag or name a bookmark. "page 110" doesn't mean anything to me when I also have "page 50," "page 200," etc. I may not remember specifically what is on those pages.

I haven't worked with the audio player so I have no suggestions on that at this time.

I love these suggestions and would add:

• Better footnote support - depending on the eBook footnotes will function or not (e.g. those for Pratchett's Unseen Academicals work, those for Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations (Modern Library ed) do not.)
  • the aforementioned iPhone ereader & nook sync
  • Some kind of benefit for B&N Member customers... it seems odd that my membership does not intersect at all with my nook ownership
The following are "nook-related" fixes to B&N eBooks:
  • Some way to edit a book to give it the proper author's name. I have three books by Will Christopher Baer one which has his name as "Christoper Will Baer" and the other two as "Will Baer." I have two books by Gaius Julius Caesar that show up as "Caesar" and "Julius Caesar" respectively. 
  • A better sorting system for eBooks on the BN website and on the nook... browsing by category acts rather wonky and there is no clear way to sort out the google books from the for-pay variety. 

Frequent Contributor
Fizix
0 Kudos

I'd love a calendar.  With ability to add events; recurring or otherwise.

Contributor
ss63
0 Kudos

I have a few things to add to wish list. Maybe some are already coming in the fix supposedly coming out within the next couple weeks.

I would like to be able to sort my books by catagory.

I would like to be able to have more than 350 on the nook and have new ones show up when searching for new content. Which I was told that is the limit right now for the nook to store.  I was told by customer service that its taking too  long to sort through what I have for new content and its timing out on the nook. This annoys me as I would really like to keep all my books loaded on the nook in case I would like to re read something and dont have access to a computer to unarchive and reload a book.

When purchasing my books, if buying more than one at a time  (which I do because I'm addicted) I would like to have one price charged to my credit card instead of a bunch.  My credit card was locked twice due to this problem.

I would like to be able to lock up books, so that if my kids get ahold of my nook and open it they don't have access to content I don't want them to have access too.

I would like to be able to  shop past page 40 something without being taken back out to the beginning of the list of ebooks to purchase.  Sometimes I like to skip through and see if there are other books available outside of my preferences to try. I have found a lot of new authors that way and its really annoying to get so far into the list and be kicked out.

Thats all I can think of so far. I might have already stated things someone else posted but didn't have time to read them all.

Frequent Contributor
LarryGanz
0 Kudos

Good ones
Contributor
Bomanta
0 Kudos

I would love to be able to download Word docs to my nook.  I have several friends who write and it would be nice to have their stories available without having to convert the stories to pdf files.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Bomanta wrote:

I would love to be able to download Word docs to my nook.  I have several friends who write and it would be nice to have their stories available without having to convert the stories to pdf files.

Bomanta:

Don't convert to pdf.  Use Calibre to convert to epub - much easier to read.  If you need more info on Calibre, do a search on this forum - it's been discussed a lot.

Reader 2
Windowlicker
0 Kudos

I would really love to be able to sort based on the series.  I know this can be done, but I don't want to hack my nook just yet :smileywink: 

It should not be that difficult to add a few more sort features, Title and Author is just not quite enough.