New User
scubalizard

Nook Wishlist for Next Update

I hope that this becomes sticky for the admins to look at for future updates for the Nook, and a discussion for the owners as to what they will think will make the Nook even better.

So here is my wishlist that would change to the Nook and make it even better.

1. Be able to have a "go to page" in the search. With all the issues with bookmarks and furthest read I think that a "go to page" would be good.
  2. Able to have the option to remap the 4 next page buttons. If a "go to page" is not possible, as I read on this forum then adding the option to remap 2 of the 4 buttons would be good.
  3. With the addition of the remapping of the buttons then also the addition of a skip forward (say 10 pages) would be nice.
  4. Or maybe if you hold down the next or back page button it will skip forward or back.
  5. Ability to skip to chapter. 
  6. Ability to move selection in library or my documents via the page turn buttons.
  7. Ability to search via book cover on book not purchased via B&N.
  8. Have all book located in one place w/o having to go through the my documents.
  9. The ePub files from Google books the formatting to the left margin is so very close to the edge of the screen, makes it difficult to read.

Well that is my list for now, nothing too much, mostly could be corrected via a firmware upgrade. Now hopefully others will add their wishlist and B&N will take them to heart when they look to adding functionality to the Nook

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Wishlist for Next Update

I'd like there to be a way to search for your highlights.  It doesn't do a lot of good if it only searches for them on the page you are on.  I want to be able to go back to what I had successfully highlighted for future reference!

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

Give me the means to sort and search in the My Documents library and I'll be much happier.

Also wouldn't mind an audio player that let me choose the order in which stuff gets played.

Contributor
Steve2000
0 Kudos

My wish is that the Nook could be as good as the Kindle and give Amazon some competition.

Inspired Contributor
PlainBobMax
0 Kudos

Have the dictionary look up words based on the root so that plurals and other forms of a word will show up - also ability to add a more comprehensive dictionary.

Definitely must be able to jump to specific page numbers and be able to search for highlights.

OTA delivery of Fictionwise and eReader books.

Ability to sort in collections like the Sony Reader.

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

I like all of the TC's Ideas, and would like:

1.  Bookmarks etc to work more like Kindle
2.  Searching of highlights etc

3.  Look up word similar to Kindle (Ex:  display on bottom, as not to take away from reading)

4.  Faster Touchscreen

5.  Not very up on PlainBobMax's ideas, but they sound cool

I only compare to Kindle as I own one of those, and love those 2 features (but love a lot more on my Nook).

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

A way to sort the My Documents folder! That's the feature I want the most, by far. I have a lot of books that I want to put onto the Nook, but I haven't put them on yet because I'm worried I won't be able to find anything once I do. I don't need it to show the covers; just give me some organization options. At the very least, let me alphabetize by title.

Other things I'd like:

- A way to navigate by page number

- An option to show all the notes in a book, like I can already do with bookmarks

- A way to move notes onto my computer

- Labeling for the bookmarks that makes more sense (something like the way my Sony Reader does it would be nice; it labels each bookmark with a few words from the page the bookmark is on)

- A way to search the library

Contributor
crisandria
0 Kudos

• To sort the My Documents folder.  

• In My Documents folder and in My B&N library to be able to skip to a certain page in the listing.                      For example. when in sorting by title or author be able to get to the beginning of the M's listings, or when sorting by most recent to be able to go to page 15 of the listing. This would come in handy when you have an idea of where the book would be but can't do a find because you don't remember the exact name or title, etc.

• To do a find in the My Document folder.

• To go to a page number in a book (or a percent into the book if page numbers are not possible) for both side loaded content and purchased from B&N content. Not all books are formated nicely with chapters.

• To go to the beginning of a book, essential when book is not formated with chapters.

Contributor
ExtraBitterStoat
0 Kudos

I've seen a couple of these posts before, so I'll only add the one new thing that I've thought of.  I'd really like an iTunes-like interface for the nook.  I'm using Calibre right now, which does fine, but I think it'd be great if B&N had an official app for it.

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

Text to Speech and better dictionary,

Frequent Contributor
-Onyx-
0 Kudos

1) Ability to edit a word for dictionary look up, since the dictionary can only find a root word

2) Better dictionary - it should never define a word with that word, use a synonym

3) Ability to go to a specific page number in the book

I've seen people say that it's not possible to go to a specific page number, why not?  Especially in the ebooks purchased from B&N that use standard page numbers (which is why you'll sometimes have multiple pages with the same number, depending on your font size).

Frequent Contributor
JenRuiz
0 Kudos

Better dictionary

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

ExtraBitterStoat wrote:

I've seen a couple of these posts before, so I'll only add the one new thing that I've thought of.  I'd really like an iTunes-like interface for the nook.  I'm using Calibre right now, which does fine, but I think it'd be great if B&N had an official app for it.

As long as it doesn't replace the ability to transfer files directly. I much prefer devices that let you transfer files directly to ones that make you use their software to do it (one of the things that bugged me about the Sony Reader).

Frequent Contributor
Branches
0 Kudos

1. Option to go to page (obviously)

2. Option to Name Bookmarks

3. Option to view a list of highlights for the whole book and jump to highlight from there

4. When you search a book it should show all the results on one page and allow you to jump to the page from there . . . obviously

5. Option to hilight  and make notes on pdfs

6. Improve battery life so that it will reflect B&N's specs

7. Eliminate the bugs that currently plague the bookmarks and notes funtions. In other words make them work properly.

8. Improve highlighting function. It is very clunky and tedious right now. It would be nice if it was smother and more intuitive (like a touch pad mouse or something).

9. Make frequent updates so that B&N nook customers aren't left guessing or questioning their decision to purchase the nook.

Contributor
DaveMacD
0 Kudos

I know it's a pipe dream, but a web browser would be fantastic, even if it could only be used over WiFi and not 3G.

Going along with that, a way to access WiFi hotspots that use a proxy interface for security. My university uses a proxy login instead of WEP or WPA, so I can't use the WiFi on campus. Also, most public hotspots are going to proxy authentication. It's really frustrating when I can't log on to the free WiFi at my local Panera b/c B&N was too lazy to install a browser.

Also a pipe dream: open the thing up for developers. I love what the folks at nookdevs are doing, and I wish there was a less ethically questionable way to get those features.

An OTA RSS reader would be a game-changer for eReaders.

Going to a specific page would be fantastic.

Naming bookmarks is a must have, or at least making the automatic names a bit more "human-readable." I have a hard time following that string of nonsense characters. It's really frustrating to bookmark several points in a book and not be able to figure out which is which when I need to refer to them.

Allowing user organization of side-loaded content is a MUST! I have about 100 pdfs on my nook, and it's a monumental pain in the butt to find the one I'm looking for in a given moment. The lag in turning pages is part of the tech, but it makes browsing through every single page of My Documents pretty maddening.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1

Here's my wish...

1. "my documents" 

1a.  Add Sort, Search and show covers

1b. Add categories for Content Location Side-Loaded internal memory vs. SD Card (My Document/Internal or My Documents/SD)

2. 'Shop" 

2a. Add item to detail page of eBook, to see an authors additional publications.

2b. Narrow or provide advance search criteria to show only the keywords used. (Currently provides list

authors names that are unrelated

2C. Please change content of specials daily or weekly

2d. Add coming soon category

3. "Daily" is not very informative, needs additionalcontent

Contributor
Oliver40274

1. Ability to create folders for my library and to then organize my books in a tree/folder structure.
  2. Ability to add tags to books for organization.
  3. Ability to name bookmarks.
Frequent Contributor
AmandaGal
0 Kudos

All I want is access to wikipedia and for them to fix the bookmarking system.

Frequent Contributor
Branches
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Other things that would be nice once the basics are fixed:

1. Integration with Google apps would be awesome (particularly access to Google's rss reader "Google reader").

2. A program like itunes for eBooks that would manage eBook and PDF content tracking the bookmarks, highlights and notes so that you could view those on your computer.

3. Text-to-speech would really improve nook's appeal in my estimation. I almost bought the kindle because of that feature.

4. Access to wikipedia

Bottom line is that the nook has great potential, but I think B&N needs to act FAST to improve this thing if they are going to stay a contender in the eBook race. Especially before the February orders go out. I am really counting on this next update to make some MAJOR improvements. If it doesn't I am going to consider switching to kindle or holding off for another product that works well. Right now, I hate to say it, but I kind of feel like I took a gamble with the nook and lost.

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

1.Sorting for sideloaded content

2.zoom and landscape mode for PDF

3.OTA access to Wikipedia

4.OTA RSS reader

5.app for access to Calibre library running on my home PC. I wouldn't expect B&N to write this but it would be nice if they release SDK so someone else can do it