Contributor
James_Croft
0 Kudos

Nook a heavy sleeper - won't wake up after sleeping!

My Nook consistently will not wake up after going to sleep - pressing the power button does nothing at all. Repeated calls to tech support have led to a series of promises (a fix in 1.1.0, a fix due to a new battery etc.) which have not solved the problem. It's very frustrating because it necessitates a full reboot after every single sleep,which takes far too long for a comfortable reading experience.

I have been promised (again) a fix in a new patch coming Wednesday, or else a replacement, so I'm looking forward to that, but in the meantime, has anyone else faced this issue? Does anyone know any workarounds? 

Reader
spersons
0 Kudos

Re: Nook a heavy sleeper - won't wake up after sleeping!

Sadly that's a problem for me too.  I received it last night for Christmas and loved it!  I noticed problems with page turning being slow (my hubby has a kindle so I have something to compare it to) and the touch screen would work turning pages back but not forward......UGH!  Then today after Christmas dinner I came back to read more of Dracula and it WOULD NOT WAKE UP!!!!  I've tried pressing and holding, inserting the power cord, nothing worked.  I pulled the battery and it woke up but it lost my place! 

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER - IF THIS PROBLEM CAN NOT BE SOLVED QUICKLY I WILL BE RETURNING IT TO MY LOCAL BARNES & NOBLE.

Any suggestions???

Contributor
James_Croft
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you are facing the exact same problem as I have, then pressing and holding for a long time (15+ seconds) and then pressing the button again briefly should work to reset the device, stopping you having to take the battery out. Note that  nothing will change on the face of the Nook (the screensaver won't vanish as suggested in the user's guide) when you have successfully turned it off, and you must press the button one time more after holding it down. Then it should reset.

Contributor
cpboyce
0 Kudos

THANK YOU! Got tired of taking the battery out to reboot.

New User
R_Klapper
0 Kudos

I have the same problem.  It worked fine for 2 days but this morning it is sound asleep and refuses to be disturbed.  The long hold and release and brief depress of power button is not working.  Has anyone discovered anything else other than removing the battery?

New User
BessEP
0 Kudos

My nook is doing the same thing. Nothing will wake it up. It worked great for one week and now is stuck on screensaver. Tried holding the power button down for a long time and then pressing it again quickly but it didn't work. Now I guess I'll figure out where the battery is...

Frequent Contributor
Tome-Reader
0 Kudos

The battery is beneath the back cover of your Nook.  It is located to the right and you need a tiny Phillips screwdriver to take it out.  Don't lose the screw!!!

New User
JudithCA
0 Kudos

THANKS!  This  worked, but it lost my page.

New User
DanGonzo
0 Kudos

This worked for me... Thanks!

Reader
NookMILF
0 Kudos

I also have this problem to! Seems like there are a lot of people having the same issue. I'm guessing B&N will need to supply a fix if they haven't already. I'm going to see if there are any updates availavle

New User
kia910
0 Kudos

hi, i just got the nook this past friday and today it was stuck on sleep, i have tried the timed power button push and i have the battery out but it stays on sleep, does anyone know anything else? oh and i have connected the power cord as well... kind of lost
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

kia910 wrote:
hi, i just got the nook this past friday and today it was stuck on sleep, i have tried the timed power button push and i have the battery out but it stays on sleep, does anyone know anything else? oh and i have connected the power cord as well... kind of lost

Take battery out.  Leave it out.

Plug into wall charger.

Nook should boot.  Do not unplug it.

After it is completely rebooted, replace battery (with it still plugged in).

Replace screw and back cover.

Let it charge till light goes out.

Reader
Geko
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also had the same problem. I couldn't understand how to fix the problem. Are there any software updates available. Thanks..........

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Geko:

There is an upcoming nook update that will continue to improve nook performance to provide enhanced overall reading experience, bug fixes, and in-store connectivity for nook customers to enjoy exclusive content and promotions in Barnes & Noble stores.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
Geko
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update

New User
sherrybella
0 Kudos

when is the fix available? i noticed a month ago a reply was made but i am having the same problem and want to get it fixed....pretty annoying and well worth sending this thing back if it cannot be rectified shortly. taking the fun out of the experience. where does one go to find the fix?

New User
nashira
0 Kudos

Hi.

I have the latest update, the 1.2

It was supposed to fix the heavy sleeping issue on the Nook, but it didn't. I'm having the same problem as you guys, it's really annoying and tiring with all the forced reboots and the mandatory recharging afterwards...

This update that's being promised, is it a new one after 1.2?

New User
parkefam
0 Kudos

This worked great!!! Thank you!!!!

New User
sixer
0 Kudos

I am experiencing it tonight. I have removed the battery and rebooted am waiting for it to charge. When I went to sleep last night, my nook had plenty of battery life. I have been enjoying my nook a great deal until this happened. I hope that this is fixed asap.

Frequent Contributor
worthmaur
0 Kudos

Last night, mine wasn't a heavy sleeper; it was passed out (stuck on screensaver)! I've only had it for two weeks and do have the upgrade installed. Of course, I was in panic mode. I searched the boards and found an archived thread that addressed the frozen issue. Taking the back off is not an option for me...can't do it even after watching the video several times. I found a suggestion to hold down AT THE SAME TIME, the power button and the home button (the nook symbol button just above the smaller screen). This worked! Nook rebooted and all is well (for now!). As an FYI, it froze after I had downloaded yesterday's free book. Maybe related, maybe not.

I'm starting to feel that we should get some type of rebate for being beta testers! This freezing issue needs a permanent fix!