New User
Darkenigma75
0 Kudos

Re: Nook a heavy sleeper - won't wake up after sleeping!

I have had my nook now for about a month. It worked very well until tonight when I went to read. I couldn't get it out of sleep mode. The pressing down the power button fix worked but I don't want this to happen again. I have a sony touch I was using before this. I would hate to have to take this back to the store.

Reader
lorimt
0 Kudos

I have tried everything suggested here and nothing has shaken my Nook from the screen saver.

Any suggestions?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello

I just bought the nook yesterday and I am having the same issue. It takes me between 10-15 minutes sometimes to get the thing to wake up which is extremely fustrating especially considering I just spent $200.00 on it. I have the new update and did factory reset several times before I did the update. After the reset it was perfect for about 3 wake ups and then back to it's sleepy self. Is there going to be a fix for this soon because if not I am returning it and buying a kindle. I waiste more time trying to get it to wake up then I do using it.

- Unhappy Nook User :smileysad:

P.S. - I was going to take it back for a new one but after reading all of the threads and posts on various websites I am assuming it's a waiste of time.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ PurpleChickCJ,

Did you try the steps in Michael-V's post right above yours?  If you have, take it back.  

You shouldn't condemn the product just because you may have a defective unit (or maybe just a defective battery).  Many people only come on the boards when they are having a problem, as opposed to the people who come on here to learn and/or help others.

If you no longer want to "waiste" your time, go ahead and return it, buy a kindle.  But make sure you understand the differences between the two devices, i.e., ebook formats and options of where you can purchase.

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

Hello

Yes I did try the instructions in the post above and currently the thing will not react or charge. My issue is not in that it may be one defective unit, my issue is the first post on this thread is from December 24, 2009. It's been over 6 months and multiple updates and this many months later the same major issue is still occuring (as in not even 24 hours later and it won't wake up at all now). This is not just a few defective units and at this point there should be an update to fix it or something given with the new ones sold to correct it (as in if it is the battery then the new units should be sold with a working battery in addition to the defective one). Obviously I looked at the differences between them before buying and I chose the nook, unfortunately I would like a reader that actually responds when you turn it on which currently does not seem like a feature it has.

Sorry if I sound so fustrated but I work a lot of hours and have an extremely long commute (over 5 hours a day). I don't like spending the few hours I do have trying to get something to work and then to go online and see that people have been having this same issue for months and it has not been fixed. I also don't like to spend the amount of cash I did on a product to see that this kind of issue has existed for so long and is still being sold as is. This is the kind of thing that should have been fixed during testing (it's not exactly a hard issue to find).

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ PurpleChickCJ,

Yikes, what a long commute.  Don't apologize for sounding frustrated.  I hope that you try to replace the nook before giving up on it.  Mine worked as expected right out of the box and the couple of times it froze, I believe it was user error, so there are good ones out there.

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'm still trying to get it to snap out of it's sleep mode. If it doesn't hopefully I can get it back to best buy and try for one more :smileysad: Mine froze up every time it went to sleep (except for 2-3 times following the factory restall) but then I lost all my books and had to keep registering it again.

I think I am going to stuff a few business cards behind the battery, I know that has helped with cell phone batteries in the past and at this point will try almost anything :smileywink:

The only thing I didn't do on Mike's post was take it to B&N for the battery switch, I just don't understand how them putting in a good battery and waking it up and then putting back in the "defective battery" won't start the whole process all over again the next day.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ PurpleChickCJ,

PurpleChickCJ wrote:

The only thing I didn't do on Mike's post was take it to B&N for the battery switch, I just don't understand how them putting in a good battery and waking it up and then putting back in the "defective battery" won't start the whole process all over again the next day.

I think what he meant was if the new battery worked, they would give it to you in replace of the "defective battery," they'd swap it.

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

Mike can you verify what you meant by:

"If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery."

He said after it is booted they can swap the battery. That sounds like they are putting in the bad one again.

:smileyindifferent:I had the little yellow light actually come up on it for about an hour...tried to start it again and the light went off still can't get off the screen saver, and now the light won't come back...I wish it would just let me in...

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: It woke up! Finally!

and I thought I had trouble getting up in the morning :smileytongue:

Keeping fingers crossed that it will keep working.

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well that was short lived...dead again :smileysad:

Guess a trip to Best Buy is in order...

I called Barnes and Noble about replacing the battery but they will not do anything for me they said.

New User
Essay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm following Michael-V's instructions from July 1st, but managed to get stuck on step two.  I held the power button down for a timed 15 seconds, but the screen saver remained.  I was working under the assumption that the screen would go dead if the Nook was off.  How does one determine if one's Nook is off or not?  If the Nook won't turn off, then what is the next appropriate step?

Contributor
PurpleChickCJ
0 Kudos

Well on Nook number 3 and so far so good!

I noticed that the 2 that came in the cardboard box had this issue, but one that came in the plastic contraption seems to be working good so far! Don't know if that helps :smileyhappy:

New User
TerminusEst
0 Kudos

Essay wrote:

I'm following Michael-V's instructions from July 1st, but managed to get stuck on step two.  I held the power button down for a timed 15 seconds, but the screen saver remained.  I was working under the assumption that the screen would go dead if the Nook was off.  How does one determine if one's Nook is off or not?  If the Nook won't turn off, then what is the next appropriate step?

I have the exact same problem. After 30 minutes of leaving it plugged in nothing changes. The battery was almost full last night as well. Any ideas on what to do? I've already got firmware update v1.4.

New User
AlsDuWillst
0 Kudos

So. Now my Nook is doing this also. Came here right away to see if there was any advice, and discovered this thread.

Tried all but the removal of the battery. It's at home now, plugged in and charging in hopes that'll cure the issue. But if it's a no-go, I'm inclined to simply return the item and wait a few months and try again, or ask them to call me when it looks like I can come back and buy a new one when they've started manufacturing ones that work.

This was a birthday gift, and now my "gifter" is feeling badly (he lives in the same house, so I can't exactly keep it from him that the device is not working). 

Plus, I'd just yesterday posted an update on LinkedIn saying how nifty the Nook is . . . and of course those posted updates are BROADCAST to EVERYONE who knows me, so now if anyone else who respects my opinion goes out and buys a Nook, and they have the same problem, it's egg on my face, and a dent in my reputation. Considered posting a retraction, but that'd only muddy the picture.

Luckily I hadn't bought any eBooks yet. Was still reading the freebie Pride and Prejudice, and getting into it, what's more. I guess I'll have to go to my local library and pick up one of those strange old paper things that don't require batteries if I want to finish the book anytime soon. Sure, I know how it turns out, but I was enjoying the read.

Maybe the next version of the device will have a variable-intensity back-lit screen feature so I can use the Nook to read in bed at night WITHOUT having to turn on a lamp, or use an itty-bitty booklight...or duck under the covers with a flashlight. Now THAT would be a wonderful feature to have.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

@ AlsDuWillst,

Bummer getting a gift and having a problem with it, but that's electronics for you.  If it's a no-go, why not try with a new unit?  They have manufactured ones that work, you just possibly got a lemon.

I wouldn't worry too much about your reputation.  The nook is nifty and you'll agree - when you get your problems solved.

As for back-lighting, you'll find that the feature of e-ink is that it is like a real book - they don't have back-lighting.  Do a search on e-ink or light and you'll find a bunch of information.

Please don't let one bad experience cloud your opinion on the device itself.

Happy birthday!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.  You would wind up with the new non-defective battery in this scenario.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@AlsDuWillst,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Follow THESE steps in the order that I have them in....

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. THEN, Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.