New User
Kyrail
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook and PDF

Hello... I am looking to get a handheld PDF reader and seen nook. What I am needing this for is to read PDF books for my college classes. Anyway I am needing to find out is will the nook read PDF and can I load them onto the nook from my PC or do all books have come from Barnes & noble or be in a specific format.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook and PDF

You could check out the specifications by clicking the NEW Nook link at the top of the page.

It tells you all of the formats the nook can handle.

Reading and research are important in college.  You might as well start now.

(You probably think that was cold.  But my god, how can you find your way to this forum without having found the product page? )

New User
Kyrail
0 Kudos

Yea I checked there before posting and seen it supported pdfs the reason I was asking, and I'm sorry guess I should have made it clearer in my original post is I have been told that the kindle requires pdfs not purchased at amazon to be submitted for conversion at a cost. I just wanted to make sure before I bought a nook that I'm not going to have to convert each pdf before I can view them. The kindle says it supports pdfs also.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Kyrail wrote:

Yea I checked there before posting and seen it supported pdfs the reason I was asking, and I'm sorry guess I should have made it clearer in my original post is I have been told that the kindle requires pdfs not purchased at amazon to be submitted for conversion at a cost. I just wanted to make sure before I bought a nook that I'm not going to have to convert each pdf before I can view them. The kindle says it supports pdfs also.

This is not true of the Kindle.  It can read PDF.  There is no fee for conversion if you do it yourself through Calibre which is not needed if it is already in PDF format.  However, both the nook and Kindle read PDF the same.  You must look at the material you will need to view and see if there are any limitations.  For example, if it has charts or tables those will be shrunk to the side of the screen.  On both nook and Kindle there are options to enlarge such items but ONLY if it was formatted with that option which many aren't.  If you are not willing to deal with the smaller text, you might want to wait and look into an iPad which will have more flexibility or just get a netbook instead.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Kyrail wrote:

Yea I checked there before posting and seen it supported pdfs.

You SAW that it supported pdfs.

(Simple past tense.  You would use "seen" in the present perfect tense, but only preceded by "have".)

There is a huge FAQ full of all kinds of answers: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/

See "Beyond eBooks", and "Getting and Managing eBooks".  Virtually any pdf will work.

See also http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp#vid2 

See http://calibre-ebook.com/ for managing and converting various types of ebooks to other formats.

New User
Kyrail
0 Kudos

Alley415,

Thank you for your response this is exactly what I was needing to know.

Frequent Contributor
Wrennie
0 Kudos

Kyrail wrote:

This is not true of the Kindle.  It can read PDF.  There is no fee for conversion if you do it yourself through Calibre which is not needed if it is already in PDF format.  However, both the nook and Kindle read PDF the same.  You must look at the material you will need to view and see if there are any limitations.  For example, if it has charts or tables those will be shrunk to the side of the screen.  On both nook and Kindle there are options to enlarge such items but ONLY if it was formatted with that option which many aren't.  If you are not willing to deal with the smaller text, you might want to wait and look into an iPad which will have more flexibility or just get a netbook instead.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Actually Alley...not true. Kindle and nook read pdf's completely different. The nook, which reads pdf's natively, is able to resize any of the fonts in pdf documents and the Kindle is NOT. You can argue with me all you want, but I've seen it myself. All my pdf books that I tried to load on my friends Kindle had microscopic sized fonts that the kindle refused to allow us to resize. Not so for the exact same pdf's loaded on my nook...I could resize the fonts without any problems. So the Kindle and nook handle these files very differently. As a Kindle owner on the Amazon forums said "The nook can read pdf's natively and the Kindle cannot. These files need to be sent to Amazon for conversion and can takes hours to be returned." So no, they do not read or handle these files the same. 

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

I have yet to get a .pdf book that will read anywhere near accurately enough on a nook.   I have several technical books and the diagrams disappear or get jumbled up.   I can read the text and increase the font size, but it's just not worth the hassle.  I have to be restricted to my "heavy as a brick" notebook to access them.

Web pages, saved as HTML, seem to be easily converted into .epub format using Calibre and look great on the nook. 

From what I've researched, .pdf's are problematic due to their structure and cannot be easily converted and formatted to read on a small e-reader.  This will be common to any reader unless you can read it natively, but the nook screen is too small.   :-(

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Contributor
Talion
0 Kudos

I would like some advice on conversion to readable files. If I want my Nook to read a MS Doc what should I do? Do I need special software? I could not find in the doc anyway to convert to a Nook friendly format.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Talion wrote:

I would like some advice on conversion to readable files. If I want my Nook to read a MS Doc what should I do? Do I need special software? I could not find in the doc anyway to convert to a Nook friendly format.

I would recommend saving your MS Word document as an RTF (Rich Text Format).

THe RTF can then be read by Calibre and saved as an ePub which can be used on the nook.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Saving it as HTML and then converting it (via Calibre) to an epub would work as well,  I think.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
New User
Tim_W
0 Kudos

Talion wrote:

You can also use a PDF Printer to directly convert your doc files to pdf. There are many out there. I've found Bullzip to be a very good one.

Contributor
Talion
0 Kudos

I will try some of these thank you for the advice. : )

New User
mwells7449
0 Kudos

Although you can read PDF on the nook, if your college books are like mine you have to login to them with your username and password. Unfortunately the nook doesn't allow for you to unlock them in that manner. You also can't unlock them on a PC and them on a PC and then upload them to your nook. If you can I haven't found a way to do so yet. So I basically sunk 200.00 bucks into something I can't use for what I really need it for. So now I've got a casual entertainment reader which I won't get much use out of.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

mwells7449 wrote:

Although you can read PDF on the nook, if your college books are like mine you have to login to them with your username and password. Unfortunately the nook doesn't allow for you to unlock them in that manner. You also can't unlock them on a PC and them on a PC and then upload them to your nook. If you can I haven't found a way to do so yet. So I basically sunk 200.00 bucks into something I can't use for what I really need it for. So now I've got a casual entertainment reader which I won't get much use out of.

It was my understanding that since the 1.3 software update you are now able to read password protected PDF files.

I do not currently have any of these files to test it so can not state that definitively.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
mwells7449 wrote:

I basically sunk 200.00 bucks into something I can't use for what I really need it for. So now I've got a casual entertainment reader which I won't get much use out of.

That's what e-readers are: they're for casual entertainment. I don't know of any dedicated e-reader device that is well-suited to working with technical materials, reference materials, graphic materials, textbooks, cookbooks, photographic essays, etc. There is one specialized e-reader that I know of for The Bible, and that's about it.

E-reader devices are basically designed for reading books that are a stream of words that you read from 'Chapter 1' to 'The End'.

You have 14 days to return your NOOK for a full refund; 30 days if you bought it from Best Buy.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

It was my understanding that since the 1.3 software update you are now able to read password protected PDF files.

I do not currently have any of these files to test it so can not state that definitively.

You can open PDFs that have Adobe PDF passwords, but not those that have to connect to the Internet to open.  My PFD text books need my school user name and password, not a password created in Adobe PDF, and have to connect to the Internet to verify them.  They can't be opened on the NOOK.

I can print them when open on my computer to Cute PDF and then load them that way or convert them, but it doesn't help.  All of my text books are images in NOOK's PDF reader and either show up too small to read or break into 4 pieces when the text is enlarged.  Those four images make up a single page and are divided into top left quadrant, top right quadrant, bottom left quadrant, and bottom right quadrant.  It makes them impossible to read even if I can get them open, so I don't bother trying anymore.

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

I use for PDF conversion: Nuance PDF Converter Professional 6, it is less than Acrobat @ $100 depending on where you get it.  Also it depends on the file.  For example I read the Washington Post Express in the morning on my way to work and it doesn't show up right because of the DRM protection they put on it.  I am going to see if I can get it working with my nook somehow with Calibre, but I don't know.

DJ

New User
WillyTX
0 Kudos

"Virtually any PDF will work"

Well, that may be technically accurate, but my experience so far tonight is that, while I CAN read the PDFs, they barely resemble what you see using a reader on a computer. The words will be there, but not in the same order! Pretty fascinating, actually. How anybody thought that this could be useful is truly beyond me. Pictures and diagrams? Yeah, they are probably there somewhere also. In other words - Nook formats your PDFs in a VERY creative way. If you need to refer to technical PDFs, so far the Nook is DEFINITELY NOT the way to go. I hope they fix it, I really do, because otherwise this really is a neat little device.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

WillyTX wrote:

"Virtually any PDF will work"

Well, that may be technically accurate, but my experience so far tonight is that, while I CAN read the PDFs, they barely resemble what you see using a reader on a computer. The words will be there, but not in the same order! Pretty fascinating, actually. How anybody thought that this could be useful is truly beyond me. Pictures and diagrams? Yeah, they are probably there somewhere also. In other words - Nook formats your PDFs in a VERY creative way. If you need to refer to technical PDFs, so far the Nook is DEFINITELY NOT the way to go. I hope they fix it, I really do, because otherwise this really is a neat little device.

The Nook doesn't actually format the pdf beyond trying to display what is there the best it can.  PDF files are page based, meaning, what is on page 1 is set as page 1 regardless of the computer or device you are reading it on.  Since the nook's screen is smaller it can't display a whole page at once, so it breaks it up.  This is why you get weird line wrapping and headers/footers in the middle of the pages.  It's a fixed layout.  Until someone comes up with a pdf creator that will optimize a pdf for the smaller screens of the eReaders, pdfs, for the most part, are not going to view well on an ereader.