Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
MerlinBRT
Accepted Solution

Reboot frozen nook?

If my nook freezes and becomes unresponsive, what is the official way to restart it?

Correspondent
MacGyverDXS
0 Kudos

Re: Reboot frozen nook?

Hold down the power button on the top for 10-12 seconds.  It's in the manual.

New User
jpenso
0 Kudos

My nook appears to have frozen on me too, but I held the power button and it sill does not respond.

Reader 2
MerlinBRT
0 Kudos

My situation resolved itself after my nook went to sleep. When I woke it up again I got a message like the first time I turned it on out of the box. It's been okay since, but that is temporary I think.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

I think these glitches will show up for a while. When I "woke" my nook this morning I had no books in "my library" I had to shut it down (5 second hold on top button) and when I turned it on again, my library had appeared again. Whew..... sure am glad.

MerlinBRT wrote:

My situation resolved itself after my nook went to sleep. When I woke it up again I got a message like the first time I turned it on out of the box. It's been okay since, but that is temporary I think.

New User
dutch17
0 Kudos

my nook is totally frozen...  First time I got the device, I started charging it...  The screensaver came out (Edgar Allan Poe).  After charging it I was excited to unplug it and power on.  Unfortunately, when I was pressing the power nothing is happening.  I called the support but cant figure out how to resolve this problem.  Support told me to press power 5 - 10 seconds to power down.  I did that but nothing happens.  I still see Edgar.  I remove cover and remove battery but still see Edgar.  Cant shut down, cant power on, cant reset.  It is stuck.  I am exchanging my nook... hope i get a functioning nook next time...

New User
akingTX
0 Kudos

The only way I could get mine unfrozen was to hook it up to my computer. 

New User
annerose305

My nook will not even turn on. I attached it to computer - nothing. The charging light will not come on when I plug it in to electrical. I need HELP!

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

It could be possible that your battery is fully discharged.  If that is the case, nook will turn on after charging for about 15 minutes.  But until that point, it will remain off, with no charging light. 
Inspired Contributor
JimSC
0 Kudos

This happens to me even with a fully charged battery. Currently I can't get around this problem. My nook is dead.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Quote:

This happens to me even with a fully charged battery. Currently I can't get around this problem. My nook is dead.

Precisely what happes to you?

How do you know you have a fully charged battery if you can't boot it to check the charge level?

What happend if you leave it on the wall charger over night? 

How about plugging it in to your computer, just in case the wall charger is defective?

Have you tried removing and re-inserting the battery?

Inspired Contributor
JimSC
0 Kudos

I know it was fully charged when I stopped reading the night before. And I know wi-fi was not on. What happens?  Well nothing. It won't start, it won't reboot.  I took the battery out and put it back in and it does nothing. I tried recharging it even though I know it was charged and it still does nothing.

New User
so55
0 Kudos

Fully Charged Nook over night, read about 20 minutes, pressed power button once, set nook aside.  Twelve hours later, picked nook up to read again and it is frozen.  Put back on charger but charge light doesn't even come on.  Hooked up to computer but no response from nook and computer does not "see" it.  Holding power button down does not resolve problem.  In frustration I "pumped" the power button, quickly, about 5 times.  THAT worked.  Observations:  When nook came back to life the battery was down to 40% even though I had only read about 20 minutes on a full charge.  Have had nook for a week and this is first frozen event, and this is the first time I put in airplane mode before setting it aside for awhile.  I will repost if I continue to see a connection between freezing and airplane mode.

Reader
Dulcet
0 Kudos

Okay so I am not a happy nook reader. Im frozen. My screen stays at the "your divice is starting up" screen and won't actually start up. I tried recharging it... nothing. I tried connecting it to my pc...nothing. I tried defragmenting it via pc...nothing. I tried pumping the on/off button...nothing. NOOOTTHHINNNGGGGG. Im so not happy. Anybody know how to open this bad boy up so I can try the battery thing? I don't want to break it in my attempt to open it up. HELP PLEASE Oh does anyone have a tech service number they can post for nook issues. Would appreciate any help. Thanks. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

the user manual, available on the B&N nook FAQ and support page, explains how to remove the back cover.  It's fairly simple, but I don't want to accidentally give you bad instructions in a post.  The user manual has pictures.

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

I just encountered the completely frozen nook.  It was stuck on the screen saver, no amount of holding the power button did anything.  Following the advice above, I connected it to my PC and it rebooted the nook.  Kinda scary... :smileysurprised:

Reader 2
MerlinBRT

A technician walked me through all the steps I've read about here and nothing worked, so a new battery was ordered. But then I got a call from the nook help line asking me to try one last "trick", and it worked!

Take the battery out AND THEN attach it to a comuter through the USB cable. The battery icon had a blinking + sign and it restarted. I have not had a problem again in over a week. Hope this helps.

Contributor
mgkuzyk

Had the same problem as Merlin, and taking the battery out and plugging my nook into the USB port of my computer worked like a charm!  And, none of the settings/books were lost.

New User
Diane3699
0 Kudos

I hooked mine to a computer and it unfroze.  This concerns me as we are going to mexico soon and I want to bring have a lot of books loaded.  I hope this doesn't happen while I am on vacation!

Frequent Contributor
MikeyG
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, some of us have either a lemon unit or bad battery.  I appreciate everyone's help on this board and I'm a nook advocate... I've had my nook since 12/8.  And, yes the first thing that I did, as I do with every personal elctronic device that I own, is to ensure that it was fully charged.  But, there will be bad units or bad batteries.  My nook started out fine for about the first week... then the battery level started going haywire.  I've documented everything all over this board from the tech support "solution" to thoughts that I have had about power management and battery life and even the remote possibility of personal screen savers and wallpaper potentially causing a drain even though it is EInk.  I like my nook, but now it has gotten to the point where I can only use it if I plug it into my computer without the battery and then place the battery back in,  It no longer will charge even though the settings indicate that the battery is at 100%.  I'm hopeful that when tech support is back on the job, I was told Saturday morning at 9 AM ET by Customer Service, but the tech support number does not indicate anything other then that they are not open for Christmas, that I they can work out a battery or unit replacement.

Live to Read, Read to Live...