Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Reboot frozen nook?

Josienjoe wrote:

The Nook you have may be a defective unit, but the Nook on the whole is not a piece of junk.  I'd call CS and troubleshoot; if that does not work, return it for another one.

If you don't like the guinea-pig feeling, I would suggest that you do not buy the first generation of any product.

This was @kevin123

New User
Captain_Celaeno
0 Kudos

my nook was frozen on the screensaver, even after pulling the battery.

tried this, didn't work at first. Tried it again, and pressed the power button a few time while it was plugged in with no battery in. Got the "Nook is starting up" from doing that. After all that it told me the battery was too low to operate, and to plug it in the wall charger. Don't have the wall charger here, so I am trying with it plugged into the computer. Little charge light is on, so we shall see.

New User
SurgGirl
0 Kudos

Have had my nook for approx 2 months.  Use it every day!!  LOVE IT!!

Tonight was the first time that it froze up on me!  Scary!  I tapped the power button to "wake" it an nothing happened. Just the image of Paris displayed, and nothing.  Turned to the 'puter for online help, was just getting desperate to remove my battery, when your pumping power button 5 times worked for me!!!  Thank you.  I will follow up with CS tho, to see what the prob was.

Oh, and not in airplane mode, wifi on all the time, and have not had ANY unusual battery drainage.  Thanks again!

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

Had the same problem today.  Brought to the b&n store and they took out the battery and plugged in the nook and it unfroze.

Waiting for the nook to charge enough to read!

New User
elizaann
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have had my nook since Valentine's day and it has frozen twice the first time I removed the battery and it rebooted no problem.  Today, however that did not work.  

If you are experiencing an Unresponsive NOOK

Remove the Backplate

Remove the battery

Power button for 45-60 seconds

Re-insert battery

Re-install battery

Charge NOOK

(make sure amber light shows up)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

elizaann wrote:

I have had my nook since Valentine's day and it has frozen twice the first time I removed the battery and it rebooted no problem.  

Remove the Backplate

Remove the battery

Re-insert battery

Re-install battery

Charge NOOK

No your cord is not shorted.

You have misunderstood the clues.  Your battery was empty, which is what caused the lockup in the first place, (regardless of what the nook said about the battery state).

Your cord works just fine.  After removing the battery and plugging it in it booted just like all the posts here told you it would.  But you then replaced the battery and didn't let it charge, so once again you were trying to run on a dead battery.

Remove the Backplate

Remove the battery

Re-insert battery

Re-install battery

Charge NOOK

New User
elizaann
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Honestly, I was just posting to point out the fact that my nook freezing is a result of my battery not charging because of the cord.  I am not stupid.  My nook had been plugged in all night and when I went to bed the light saying it was charging was on, and when I woke up it was off.  I go to use my nook less than an hour later and it is frozen.  I checked the cord several times to make sure it was plugged in (seeing as this is not my first time having electronics).  And noticed that while the nook was plugged in fine I could bend the cord and it would come on and off with the battery out of it.  I was explaining to people that the two times I have had problems was when I had charged the nook all night but the battery was mysteriously dead.  I am also telling you after playing with it some more the cord has a short because plugged into my computer my nook showed up fine I moved the cord slightly to get a pen from underneath it and the computer was popping up saying I had not ejected a drive correctly.  Both times the cord has been firmly in place.  I understand the nook freezing is a result of the battery being dead, but really not plugging my nook in tight enough.  I am not in kindergarten.  I was just offering the idea the battery not charging might be the plug cord.  I had already bought one just in case and went on an opened it.  This new cord is not fickle.  I can move it without the light telling me my nook is charging go out. 

New User
PJXYZZY
0 Kudos

The process of removing the battery and hooking to computer worked for me as well. Very odd. Doesn't matter - seems to be all fine again.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook keeps freezing up.

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

New User
mom2ferrets
0 Kudos

I can't get any of the suggestions to work...I have tried tapping the power button, holding it for 12 to 15 seconds, and even tried the one tip to simultaneously push the left back button and eight forward buttons. NOTHING works. I am going to have to try to find a small screw driver to try to take the battery out I guess. <SIGH> I'm royally po'd that this is happening when I paid so much for this thing. I wish now I'd have gotten the sony instead, sounds like this one is going to end up in a recall if this keeps up. THis isn't the first time its frozen but i was able to get it restarted last time.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

mom2ferrets wrote:

I can't get any of the suggestions to work...I have tried tapping the power button, holding it for 12 to 15 seconds, and even tried the one tip to simultaneously push the left back button and eight forward buttons. NOTHING works. I am going to have to try to find a small screw driver to try to take the battery out I guess. <SIGH> I'm royally po'd that this is happening when I paid so much for this thing. I wish now I'd have gotten the sony instead, sounds like this one is going to end up in a recall if this keeps up. THis isn't the first time its frozen but i was able to get it restarted last time.

Why don't you try the PROPER method then, since none of the improper methods work.

Hold down the power button for 20 FULL seconds.

Let it up.

Tap, it again.  (Don't hold it).

New User
jeep_girl76
0 Kudos

My nook froze on me after I guess I didn't put it in standby mode and let it sit overnight. I thought maybe the battery was dead but after having it plugged in for 15 minutes I was still not able to bring up the screen.  Taking out the battery, plugging it into the computer and then putting in the battery brought it instantly back to life for me.  Thank you so much for posting this tip so I didn't have to waste my time on the telephone!:smileyhappy:

One other question for every one out there, what is the best way to conserver battery life?  Mine seems to drain the same amount no matter if the wireless is turned off or not.

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

jeep_girl76 wrote:

One other question for every one out there, what is the best way to conserver battery life?  Mine seems to drain the same amount no matter if the wireless is turned off or not.

Thanks!

Airplane mode

Minimal touchscreen brightness

Short touchscreen timeout.

New User
ginabeaner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

First time posting.

I've had the Nook since February and have had no problems. Then I let the battery drain and saw the message that it was too dead to use so I let it charge all night. The next morning I went to remove the plug and it froze on me. I came on here and saw all the helpful hints...(hold the power button in to let it rebot, or 

Remove the Backplate

Remove the battery

Re-insert battery

Re-install battery

Charge NOOK

It seems to work great when plugged in...however, what seems to be causing the freeze is when I unplug it. I wouldn't mind using it when it is plugged in but lets face it...that plug is so darn short there is no way I could get comfy and read with it like that. Any other suggestions please?!? I'm dying to finish my book!