New User
leahsmith11
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

USB Connection Problems

Whenever I plug my nook into my computer, it gives me the message "If you want to use your nook and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmount from the menu for the nook drive on your computer." I have tried the Safely Remove Hardware feature and unplugging my nook and plugging it back in but I get the same message. It worked the first time I plugged it in but hasn't worked since then... Any help?

Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

Re: USB Connection Problems

[ Edited ]

Someone else hopefully will explain this better, but I will give it a try.

If you want to use your computer connection only to charge your nook battery and would like to continue using the nook to read, shop, etc. then you need to go through your computer's "start" menu and select "my computer" to see all the drives.  You will see the nook drive icon.  Right click on the nook icon, and choose "eject".  Once you have safely ejected the nook, you will be able to continue charging it via the USB and also read, etc.  That is what the message your are seeing means.  Also, you should always eject your nook this way. 

When you plug your nook to your computer via the USB to manage your documents or your music, screensavers, etc. you are locked out of actually doing anything on the nook itself.  You should get a pop up window on your computer asking you what you want to do with the device, and generally you want to click on open files and folders. (In this case, ignore the message on the nook) Then you can manage your sideloading from your computer to the nook folders right on your computer.

Hope this is clearer than mud!

Cheryl

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

After you eject the Nook, DON'T unplug and plug it back in. Every time you plug it in, the Nook mounts on the computer in USB disk mode. What you want to do is unmount the drive, but leave it plugged in.

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

My nook always says that on its screen when it's connected by USB. Or are you trying to read from it while it's connected with the USB?

Sue

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
New User
jlb49
0 Kudos

Thanks Cheryl!  I just purchased my Nook last Sunday and haven't had much time to get used to the various processes.  This is one that I was repeatedly getting and was also trying to "eject" from my Safely Remove Hardware icon.  Your explanation was easy to follow and I am now connected, charging and reading.  Love it!

New User
Windfury
0 Kudos

This was very useful Cheryl! Thank you so much!:smileyhappy: