Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Wifi "FIX" - Update 1.3 Killed your wifi? Look Here First

A lot of people, including myself, found that our WEP wifi settings/password no longer worked with version 1.3 of the nook. I tried everything on my nook like using Auto, Hex or other ways to enter the password and nothing at all worked.

Cut to the chase -- You want it fixed now. You don't care what the problem is.

Step 1 - Rename your wifi router SSID (It's wifi name)

Step 2 - Reboot router

Step 3 - Connect with nook

Another option is to change from WEP to some form of WPA or vice versa.

"But, Rav, I liked my old settings."
Fine, after you do all the above steps and connect then turn around and put it back the way it was. The simple act of changing SSID or encryption type on the router seems to be enough to work around whatever corrupted cached data is giving the nook a brainfart.

This has been a preemptive update notice for the betterment of all nook-kind. 

PS Bunnies rule! :3

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Re: Wifi "FIX" - Update 1.3 Killed your wifi? Look Here First

Ha that will teach you to get an Update before the rest of us can.  :mansurprised:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

My WiFi continues to work fine post update, which was received over the air prior to Am EDT.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I'm glad your wifi is working. :3

Reader 4
MzHokie
0 Kudos

I never could connect before but I still can't now.  It at least finds it now but neither password works... regular or HEX  I wish it would tell me why it fails to connect.

I guess I have to wait until a fix.  I never use the WiFi feature because it wouldn't connect.  We counted, we have 16 items on our WiFi and my husband said no way to changing all that just to get my nook to connect.  I can still download books and I can still read. 

Reader 2
annieb682000
0 Kudos

How do I change the ssid name and get this mess working again

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Each router is different. On mine I use my browser to log into the routers web address. Then I go to the manual wireless setup. From there I change the name from what is there (Linksys or other name) to something else.

As there are tons of routers on the market it is best if you look in your routers manual. Each one is different.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

Each router is different. On mine I use my browser to log into the routers web address. Then I go to the manual wireless setup. From there I change the name from what is there (Linksys or other name) to something else.

As there are tons of routers on the market it is best if you look in your routers manual. Each one is different.

And virtually ALL those manuals are available On Line.

If you are google challenged, post the exact name and model number and someone will look it up for you, come over to your house, change your SSID, feed your cat, and water your plants.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Contributor
LEMNV
0 Kudos

Okay, I tried it and my Wifi still won't connect.  As Rev advised I changed my SSID and rebooted the router.  I still could not connect my Nook.  I put the settings back to what they were (so I didn't have to change my wife and son's computer settings) and still cannot connect with my Nook.

Prior to 1.3-- Wifi worked fine, never had a freeze, read books, read a newspaper daily,  shopped for more books (all on both 3g and wifi).

Now with 1.3-- Wifi doesn't work with my home network (havn't tried any others yet), I have a browser I can't use because it needs wifi (not sure I need a browser anyway), I can play chess if I want, I can play Soduko (once I learn how), the color home screen has grown to a point where it's almost cumbersome.  Hmmm.....

Is there a Wifi fix comming?  Would contacting customer support be any help? 

New User
becky72
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What if you can't change your SSID name at the router and can't change from WEP to WEP2.. or anything else?  (i.e., I'm on ATT UVERSE and you can't get to it to change it... and if you did -- you'd mess up every TV, etc. in the house.  :smileysurprised:)

So -- any other suggestions?

I was able to delete the 'remembered' network... it is gone.

My nook sees my network, but when I enter the password (that I know is correct) it attemps to connect, then after a bit says the connection failed.  I've powered off my nook several times, but still no ability to connect. 

I was able to connect with no problem with v.1.2... and am a little irritated to not be able to connect with 1.3.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

(BTW -- called B&N nook support and they didn't have any more of a fix than to keep entering the network name and password -- and even said they had several nooks there that they are not able to connect to the wifi and were having the same problem..... )

Reader 4
Koak
0 Kudos

1.3 Wifi Failure

I've tried most of the suggested tricks, to no avail:

Open, no security

WEP

WPA (all possible options)

Renamed SSID

No connection for the Nook, even with an open network.

Rebooted Nook and router multiple times (between mode changes) and nada.  I'd no problems before the new version.

I know that the Nook is at least talking to the router because when I delberatly type a wrong pw in WEP/WPA mode I get the expected rejection message.  All I get with the correct pw is a Disconnected message.

The router is a Netgear 824V3, latest firmware.  My laptop has continued to talk to the router through all the changes so I doubt the router is at fault.

Koak

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: 1.3 Wifi Failure

[ Edited ]

Wait,,,

Why are you typing in wep/wpa modes?  The purpose of broadcasting SSIDs is to transfer this information automatically.  The ONLY thing you should have to enter is your passphrase.  

Everybody having trouble getting wifi working seems to be hand entering this info.  Stop that, and your problems go away.  

First; go delete (forget) every single remembered access point in the nooks wifi.  Then Turn OFF wifi in the nook,

Set your router to broadcast its SSID.  Since you have the luxury of selecting your encryption 

standard on your router, use WPA2 PSK.  It is secure, and it is all performed in hardware.

Then turn on Wifi, and tap the Wifi Hot-Spot and WAIT while the top line say scanning.

It will find your hotspot and display its SSID.  Tap it, and enter only your password.

Don't be hand entering SSIDs, security types or any of that stuff.  Only your password/passphrase.

You posted this in the wrong forum.  It belongs in Q&A and Support.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Everybody having trouble getting wifi working seems to be hand entering this info.  Stop that, and your problems go away. 

Not true icebike. I was having probs & I was letting nook find my network on it's on. i was not hand entering everything. Mine only works on open or WPA2. Which is dumb. If they put WEP and WPA in there it should work with them. I thought this fix was to improve wifi. It hasn't for me.

Reader 4
Koak
0 Kudos

icebike:

The router is set to broadcast SSID, and I am allowing the Nook to scan for it.  As 

I said in my post, I even tried setting my router to Open, no password.  My Nook sees it, wont connect.  When I have WEP or WPA2 set, it will report an error if I deliberately enter the wrong password. This means the Nook can communicate with the router.  It just wont connect.

Worked fine in version 1.2

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since the upgrade to 1.3 I've found that I can get my Nook to connect to my WiFi only if it is NOT already connected to the 3G network.  As far as I know it used to not have a problem switching but now it does seem to.  

Note:  Once the Nook disconnected from the 3G network on its own I was able to go in and connect to the WiFi with no problem.  

Also, I DID type in my SSID because I have my router set to Stealth and it will stay that way.  Besides it worked fine before the upgrade so I don't have any reason to believe it shouldn't work now.  

Don't Panic
Frequent Contributor
jratease
0 Kudos

I don't really understand routers, but had the same problem too. I have a Linksys router that was broadcasting with WEP using a simple 6 letter password, that worked fine with 1.2, but stopped working with 1.3.

I ended up deleting security (making it open?) and connected fine, but wasn't happy that the wild animals outside could tap into my network (Deer using Dell, Hawks using HP, etc), so I re-set the password to WPA, which then created a 22 character encryption key.

Using that encryption key as my password, it then connected

Don't ask me how, I just relate this in case it helps. Maybe you need to find the encryption key? Linksys has software that's always running in the background that lets you print out the settings.

Contributor
belfastgiantsgril
0 Kudos

Just curious, is your router set to use mac address access only? Most routers have this setting somewere in the wireless settings. If it is on turn it off and see if that helps.

New User
iRant
0 Kudos

I've actually been having problems since ver 1.2.

In 1.2 it would connect briefly then keep dropping the connection. Had to connect to my laptop via USB to update to 1.3.

Now in 1.3 I cannot connect at all. I would like to try the methods listed here, but I do not even have the option listed in my nook to forget connections. The only thing listed is to connect when I select a network.

Any suggestions to get rid of the networks in memory when the only option listed is to connect? I had the forget option in the 1.2 ver software.

Contributor
LS-Indy
0 Kudos

iRant wrote:

I've actually been having problems since ver 1.2.

In 1.2 it would connect briefly then keep dropping the connection. Had to connect to my laptop via USB to update to 1.3.

Now in 1.3 I cannot connect at all. I would like to try the methods listed here, but I do not even have the option listed in my nook to forget connections. The only thing listed is to connect when I select a network.

Any suggestions to get rid of the networks in memory when the only option listed is to connect? I had the forget option in the 1.2 ver software.

This is EXACTLY the same problem I have.  Cannot delete the home network because the only option listed is "connect" which I can't do.  Says the password is wrong....but I know it is the correct password.  I don't want to have to struggle with the equipment like this.