Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Re: Wifi "FIX" - Update 1.3 Killed your wifi? Look Here First

So basically instead of checking AES or TKIP I should check auto and see if I have probs? Like you said I guess it can't hurt. I'm pretty sure I have that option. I'll check when I get home. It may take a few days for me to know if it makes a difference though. I let ya know how it goes.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Ok. Changed it from AES to auto. So far so good w/ my nook and apple. I'll see how my HP does, and if the router decides it doesn't like it in a couple days. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Just throwing this on this thread so stuff is all in the same place:

The minimum password length for WPA or WPA2 is 8 characters.

Apparently some versions of routers in the past would let you get away with less, and they padded it with spaces or god knows what.  Maybe even the nook would allow short passwords in version 1.2.0. (I can't remember).

So, one more thing to check is short passwords.  

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Came home today w/ my apple not getting a good connection on wifi. Apparently even though my router supposedly supports WPA2 it obviously has a glitch. I switched my network back to WPA. Instead of selecting TKIP or AES I selected auto. My nook connected! How weird is that? It didn't connect when I selected TKIP. My apple seems ok for now too. Just gotta check the HP, and hope it doesn't freak out tomorrow. Just thought I would update ya.

New User
MeanLeRoy
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Won't Connect to Home Network

This posting kept me from going nuts!!!   

I have the same Linksys router which had been working fine with NOOK V1.2 and WEP with 64-HEX character encryption.    It appears the V1.3 uses a subset of the total number encryption algorithms available.   Unfortunately, there appears to be no error reporting to this effect nor is there a listing by Barnes & Noble of which type of encryption works with which specific router.  

Switching to WPA Personal on the router and changing the broadcast ID from Linksys to Xinksys allowed the NOOK to connect on the first try.    Another Belkin adapter on my network was not happy when this change was made.     I subsequently determined that WPA-PSK was equivalent to WPA Personal and things started to improve.   I finally had to disable the Belkin application and let Windows XP handle the network connection.

Barnes & Noble should have been aware of these problems.    I willing to forgive them, however, as my wife really loves the NOOK.    I'm just the home network engineer....

naylorchic
0 Kudos

I just wanted to give an update. I changed my security settings several days ago to WPA PSK. Instead of selected AES or TKIP I selected auto. ALL of the devices on my network seem to be happy w/ this. Even my nook! Well until the next update that is. It'll prob hate it again after that. Hope this helps someone out there.

New User
talTL
0 Kudos

Not only is this baffling but the same thing happens to me.  By all indications my Nook WiFi is "disconnected" but has no problem downloading books.  How can that be?  Is it using 3G for book downloads?  I did not think Nook had that.  I get nothing on the Web browser and Nook can't does not detect my router.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

talTL wrote:

Not only is this baffling but the same thing happens to me.  By all indications my Nook WiFi is "disconnected" but has no problem downloading books.  How can that be?  Is it using 3G for book downloads?  I did not think Nook had that. 

Oh, my goodness, did you not read ONE single thing about this device before you purchased it?

How on earth can you miss the major selling point of free cellular downloads for life?

New User
talTL
0 Kudos

It was a GIFT.  But thanks to smart guys like you I am learning more every second.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

There are a lot more nuggets like that in the Users Guide.

RpD
Contributor
RpD
0 Kudos

One thing y'all might consider is that making changes to your network may 'jog' the nook's little brain or stored config... and one of those changes is the CHANNEL your router uses.

I just changed the channel for a nook user and it seems to be working great now... I've had other anomalous behavior corrected by changing a wireless router's channel.

An excellent FREE tool to scan for nearby nets and channel congestion is "inssider" from metageek.com... it will show all the nearby wireless nets that are detected. (Obviously you have to run that program from a computer that has a wireless adapter.)

Good luck.

pqz
New User
pqz
0 Kudos

Is there any way to copy and paste the long string of the WEP key into the nook?  I've been trying to connect to my home network for hours and cannot rule out the possiblity that my fumble fingers on the tiny touch screen keyboard is causing the problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

No, not that I have found.

It got so bad on one machine that we changed the wep password to all 2's except a few characters at the beginning.  So something like 4443222222222222222..... 

That works, but ultimately we chose to go to wpa2, because then you have a pass phrase which is variable lenth, and can be something like "barkythedog".  The passphrase is used to calculate the actual password, and its easier to type.

Lots of people have problems with wep since 1.3.

You might try deleting all instances of SSIDs (forget this network) and then exit network settings and then go back in again which will cause it to re-scan.  Let it scan to find it, and selected it from the list.

Reader
NookieCookie
0 Kudos

I found my password ( or WEP key) printed on the bottom of the router.  I have a dsl modem/router.  Incidently, I've only been able to connect once and am having much trouble now!

New User
steve84
0 Kudos

I just want to say thank you so much!! I had changed to every different encryption that my WiFi allowed for and spent 3 hours today trying to get this stupid thing to connect with no luck. I changed my ssid and my WEP to a WPA and the rest is awesome history!!!!

Thanks again,

Steve