Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
vballchic14
0 Kudos

problem connecting my nook to pc

When i plug my nook's usb into my pc a warning pops up saying that usb device not recognized and i don't know how to fix this problem.  My computer works on windows xp, i donlt know if that has something to do with my problem.  But iwould like to fix this so i can sync my pc to my nook!

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: problem connecting my nook to pc

Is your nook on when you connect it to your PC?  If you plug your nook into USB when it's off, your PC might not recognize it.

Frequent Contributor
AmyK67
0 Kudos

Mine does the same thing...and my Nook is turned on. I get the same message. My computer does not recognize the usb device. It worked fine the first time I plugged it in, but not subsequently when I have tried to upload wallpapers/screen savers.

Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Just wondering if you are using a USB hub-sometimes those aren't as reliable as say the USB on the back of a computer.  I once read where there are some power issues-I'm not all that up on it, but worth a try to try another USB port.

I've had problems with this reliability with other devices-I have a 7in one card reader and USB hub on the front of my computer-a device that worked fine in the one front USB wouldn't work the next time I used it, but worked on the other front USB.  Also, a device that wouldn't work in front works in the back USB.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm running Windows XP and am having the same problem. The Nook was turned on before connecting to the pc via USB cable. I first got a message saying device recognized, new hardware installed, and then nothing. Using Explore in Windows doesn't even find it. I've plugged it into all four USB ports and still nothing. The computer then shut down all ports so that it didn't even recognize my wireless mouse. The device works fine on my netbook, but not the two year old Dell.

New User
weirdmelvin
0 Kudos

I'm having this problem too, and I've tried to sync it with Windows 7 and Linux computers. I even borrowed my friend's Mac and tested it with that. Windows sees it, but doesn't reconize it. It didn't show up at all when I tried with Mac or Linux, even when I ran lsusb from terminal. I'll keep trying things and report back if I discover anything useful.

Frequent Contributor
Paul58
0 Kudos

NookInquirer wrote:

The computer then shut down all ports so that it didn't even recognize my wireless mouse.

What kind of anti-virus software are you running?  If the computer is shutting down all ports, it sounds like some sort of software may be intervening! 

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

Running Trend Cillin-PC, but I'm running that on my netbook, too, and the Nook runs better on the netbook. Not perfectly and not in each port after the initial recognition.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Re: problem connecting my nook to PC

I've connected my nook to my laptop running Linux and my desktop PC running Windows XP.

I noticed when connecting to my laptop that it wouldn't be recognized when it was in sleep mode when I plugged it in. I had to wake it up first then insert the cable.

This only happened once and I don;t know if it relates to your situation.

Frequent Contributor
Paul58
0 Kudos

After thinking on this a bit, I have experenced this problem connecting my Sony eReader to my NetBook.  (I don't connect my nook nearly as often because I read more B&N eBooks on it and read the non-B&N eBooks on the Sony). 

Anyway, try rebooting your computer and see if it will work.  For some reason my NetBook (running XP) will connect once and works fine, but any subsequent connection just gets an audible di-ding but it isn't recognized until I reboot. 

I know this isn't a fix by any measure, but might provide you a work around...

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

Re: problem connecting my nook to PC

I've had periodic problems with the USB ports. I finally bought a USB hub to use in one of my reliable ports and for the most part that worked fine, but it doesn't access the Nook. I called Dell support and after dealing with the call center in India (who initially suggested my entire Data had to be purged!!!), they sent out a technician who replaced the mother board. My issues with nook recognition are now gone. I'm glad I finally exercised the extended warranty. Maybe your issue isn't Windows either.

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

I had to restart my nebook. After rebooting I plugged the Nook back in. It took longer to recognize it, but it did find it finally. I discovered that my pc had a busted motherboard. After replacement, the nook usb functioned correctly.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

Try it with the nook fully charged.  This may be part of the problem.

Also, some badly written device drivers for other products can cause problems with the type of connection used by the nook.   The nook does not need special drivers or other software to connect.   Roxio cd burning software often is a culprit for this kind of issue in my experience.

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

The nook was definitely charged. I read so much that I charge it every day. The new motherboard definitedly corrected my issue with the nook cable, but I'll look at Roxio (I have only the creator program), too. Maybe Roxio is why I can't successfully use the updated Silverlight for streaming videos on Netflix.

Frequent Contributor
AmyK67
0 Kudos

I am having this problem too, on my laptop and my PC. I will try again with my Nook on, not asleep. Thanks!

New User
Cremlian
0 Kudos

we just bought the Nook today and we can't get it to detect on any computer, we tried it on a XP laptop, a XP desktop, a windows Vista and a Windows 7 machine (all ranges of tech and age) it didn't detect properly once.  I assume that the cable is bad.  I guess we'll bring it to B&N to get checked out.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Did you charge the unit before you connected it to your pc?

New User
bhardman
0 Kudos

I just got my nook today and it will not recognize the usb either. I have tried it on my desk top and 2 lap tops and none will work. The nook also froze up and will not do anything at all. I can't even cut it off. Had to remove the battery to get it unfroze!
New User
Cremlian
0 Kudos

Yea, we charged it up to 100% before we even started playing with it.  The wireless works fine and everything else does too it just doesn't show up as a known device on any computers it is hooked to.

New User
Cremlian
0 Kudos

Odd, it started to work today.