Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ilucas
0 Kudos

Re: describing colors

Vivico, It is telling that your descriptions of each color was tied into familiar objects that are commonly that color. You described white, for example, as a cotton ball. If your world had no white cotton in it, if you were an Alaskan native prior to Euporean settlement, would you have described white as cold,? You used water images for blue, but if you were from a desert community, would blue feel free and expansive, or even hot, as the mid-day sky? In other words, are our feelings about colors tied into their common use in our culture? Irene
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ilucas wrote:
Vivico, It is telling that your descriptions of each color was tied into familiar objects that are commonly that color. You described white, for example, as a cotton ball. If your world had no white cotton in it, if you were an Alaskan native prior to Euporean settlement, would you have described white as cold,? You used water images for blue, but if you were from a desert community, would blue feel free and expansive, or even hot, as the mid-day sky? In other words, are our feelings about colors tied into their common use in our culture? Irene

I think that is most likely true. I thought about snow with her but for me even tho I lived in Northern NM and AZ most of my life where you would get a lot, I didnt use it with her for two reasons, one, it didn't represent the "feeling" of white to me as much as a cotton ball but also, in Oklahoma, we dont get much snow at all! lol, just ice and so it may not have been something she was as familiar with. We may get snow one or two days a year but you cant get out and play in it, its all buried by icestorms! As for the sky being hot, well even in the desert, I never saw the sky as a hot color, the reason is, out in the desert, the sky is a deeper blue than here on the plains, its a beautiful blue and I always saw the deep blues as a cooler place than where I was on the ground, the same goes for water, I associate water with coolness. Ever notice that people, but women in particular, are drawn to water? We love waterfalls and pictures of them too and beaches and such. Anyway, its funny how colors do elicit certain emotions, just as Robert posted here on this thread, that they did with MIke. I think a lot of it would depend on the culture you are in but some, like the brighter colors, red, yellow etc, I think have some pretty universal feelings for us. I think the brain, is the brain is the brain, and for some things, maybe some colors, the brain will respond pretty much the same way, even in different cultures. Well like the pictures in the book with the facial features upside down. I think anyone in any culture will feel a bit disturbed by that, uneasy, and thats a universal thing of how the brain needs to interpret things for us in a way that make sense. So some I think are common, others , as far as using examples of things to discribe colors, yeah that would be cultural. I mean, if its not a common color or item in your culture, you wont use it to describe a color huh?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
MahaBali
0 Kudos

Re: Crashing through

it seems I asked this same question (about Mike knowing colors) in another thread, so Robert, you don't have to reply to the other one ;o))

I was surprised mostly because I had heard that we do not retain any memories before the age of 3, and that after 40+ years of blindness it seemed incredible that he'd remember them. So you're saying neither Mike nor anyone else had an explanation for that?
Contributor
MahaBali
0 Kudos

Vivico, loved your story about telling the colors to the blind customer.

Agree it was intimidating to read such a long post but it was WELL worth the read - you were so creative in your responses and you write very nicely :smileysurprised:)) Have you considered writing for publication? At least a blog!!! (sorry if you've already mentioned this elsewhere)
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MahaBali wrote:
Vivico, loved your story about telling the colors to the blind customer.

Agree it was intimidating to read such a long post but it was WELL worth the read - you were so creative in your responses and you write very nicely :smileysurprised:)) Have you considered writing for publication? At least a blog!!! (sorry if you've already mentioned this elsewhere)

I think being verbose (which I am lol) and being a writer, are not necessarily the same thing lol. I have wanted to write, maybe even something semi-biographical but more likely fiction. The closest I have come is having one poem and two articles published. I am just very inquisitive about things, so I guess I write or talk a lot lol, too much at times huh. Not too many one liners or yes and no answers lol. Oh, and I have written personal cards and stories for people as gifts or to give as gifts. They give me a few facts and I write romantic cards for them to give to loved ones, or they tell me like , a fantasy time, a fantasy place and for example, a new love vs an old flame, a romantic one time experience or a long time love and I write them a story or poem, with their name in it based around those things. Its fun to do and they seem to enjoy them. They seem to prefer simple forms and ones that rhyme and those just seem to flow out of my hands down into the keyboard or pen. I have never had to really look for rhymes, dunno why. And I do then write properly too lol with all the punctuation and everything! not the shorthand you get in here LOL. But, nah, I dont think I am a "writer". Like the saying goes, those who can do, those who cant teach...well in my case, maybe its more those who can write, write, those who can't, read! :smileywink: ty for putting up with my responses tho and the kind words. I do love when I run across a writer like Robert here, this was a really great read. I have recommended this book to everyone I know.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
MahaBali
0 Kudos

hey Vivico,

I understand what you mean, but as an audience for your writing, i really enjoyed it :smileysurprised:)) Also, the fact that you write for others is amazing... never thought of doing that, even though I often used to write poems expressing how I thought my close friends were feeling...

I always loved writing for myself and sharing with people close to me... often biographical with a twist :smileysurprised:)) But of course I read much more than I write!! hehe

Interestingly, I have a few articles published in my field (education) and write a lot of academic stuff but I hate my academic writing style most of the time!!! Recently, I discovered sometimes to get myself to write parts of my thesis(i'm doing my PhD) i need to inspire myself with some creative writing first :smileysurprised:)) Funny huh?

Anyway, I loved the way you wrote. It was more than just verbose, it was interesting. Not just the writing but the ideas behind it
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,355 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: