Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Must-See Reality

If you were suddenly to begin losing your vision, what would you rush to see? Would it be something you hadn’t yet seen, something you’d always loved seeing, or something else?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Must-See Reality

Bill_T wrote:
If you were suddenly to begin losing your vision, what would you rush to see? Would it be something you hadn’t yet seen, something you’d always loved seeing, or something else?

I think for me it would be the things and people I am around all the time but have never seen. If something were to happen later, and i would worry about that, I would want to see them first. I would want to bank a memory of my loved ones and my home. Then, later I would like to see places or things I never had or may never anyway. I would do it later because if I had lived this long and not seen it, I dont think I would miss it so much. Like say, oh the statue of Liberty, I have never seen it in person right now and I know about it and stuff but its not a part of my everyday life and loves, so if i never get there to see it, thats ok with me. But I would hate to waste a chance to see by not trying with all my might to see everyone in my life right now. I want to see what I love.

Ok, I read that wrong until I added the post to this lol, I thought it was if you were suddenly to GAIN your site, not suddenly begin to lose it. If I was to start to lose it, I would still rush to see anyone in my life that maybe I hadnt in awhile but who meant a lot to me. I would spend all the time I could with my loved ones like I said, banking memories of them but yeah, if i were starting to lose it, instead of suddenly gaining it, then maybe I would take some trips with loved ones to see some things I never had before but wanted to. I would love to go to Italy for all the art in Florence for example. So, depends on if i were suddenly losing my sight or suddenly gaining sight lol. sorry
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bill_T wrote:

I would soak in the faces and actions of people dear to me. I would read as many books as I can----not deep stuff, fun stuff---mysteries , etc. not necessarily literary works. I would visit Sanibel Island, Florida again and soak up all those visuals again.
Librarian

Message Edited by Librarian on 07-06-2007 08:46 PM
Author
RobertKurson
0 Kudos

This is such an interesting and important question that Bill raises, and it's exactly one that Mike May must answer in the latter part of Crashing Through. What Mike chooses to see - and how he goes about seeing it - touched me perhaps more than any other part of his story. It's that aspect of his life and character that convinced me early on that this was not really a story of blindness and vision, but about how one lives his life, and about what is truly most important to a person's existence.

Learn more about Crashing Through.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

RobertKurson wrote:
This is such an interesting and important question that Bill raises, and it's exactly one that Mike May must answer in the latter part of Crashing Through. What Mike chooses to see - and how he goes about seeing it - touched me perhaps more than any other part of his story. It's that aspect of his life and character that convinced me early on that this was not really a story of blindness and vision, but about how one lives his life, and about what is truly most important to a person's existence.

I haven't finished the book yet and now I'm even more anxious to do so. You've made me very curious Robert! If I knew I would be losing my sight I think the things that would mean the most to me would be spending time with my family, or spending time looking at my family I should say, and doing my artwork and photography. Those are very visual and I would hate to lose them. I'm not much of a traveler so I probably wouldn't do much of that. I love to read but at least I could still listen to audio books. I probably wouldn't spend much time sleeping either. Too much to see!
Contributor
Justine
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if I would rush to see anything, not because there are not great things to see, but because my memory would degrade whether I was rushing or not . I would probably do as much traveling as I could. Luckily for me, everything is very blurry for me as it is , if I am not wearing my glasses. And I think I would invest much of my time if I knew that I was losing my vision, to learn things about how to do things as a visually-impaired person would , so that maybe it would be less of an adjustment when my sight finally did go . I probably sound crazy, but I really hate "surprises" so I would spend time trying to equip myself for life as a visually-impaired individual.

Best,
Justine
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Justine wrote:
I'm not sure if I would rush to see anything, not because there are not great things to see, but because my memory would degrade whether I was rushing or not . I would probably do as much traveling as I could. Luckily for me, everything is very blurry for me as it is , if I am not wearing my glasses. And I think I would invest much of my time if I knew that I was losing my vision, to learn things about how to do things as a visually-impaired person would , so that maybe it would be less of an adjustment when my sight finally did go . I probably sound crazy, but I really hate "surprises" so I would spend time trying to equip myself for life as a visually-impaired individual.

Best,
Justine

You know Justine, thats not so crazy. My vision is so bad that I do remember when i was younger thinking, if they tell me i am going to keep getting worse till i am blind, then before that happens I will spend time learning how to do what i do now without sight. I thought about things like how to comb my hair without seeing, that was a biggy for me, lol, probably because i was only in my 20s then and after all I am a woman lol. I thought about how i would have my house arranged and stuff. I forgot about that till you mentioned it in regards to this question. I got hit with cancer and a few other things in my late 20s and early 30s and that took me off my sight obsessional thoughts. I dont believe there is any reason for me to go completely blind but I did get obsessional about it for awhile, the other things gave me a reality check lol. But your so right, thats what I would do too....learn to comb my hair as it were :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 236 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: