Author
RobertKurson
0 Kudos

Shadow Divers and Crashing Through

Many people have asked me how I came to write two such different books. And, on the surface, they do seem worlds apart.

Shadow Divers tells the true story of two recreational scuba divers who discover, in 1991, a World War II German U-boat sunk just off the New Jersey coast. Inside are the remains of 56 sailors - and a world of mysteries. No one - no government, navy, expert, or historian had any clue as to the identity of the wreck or the men inside, or any idea as to what it was doing in New Jersey or how it had met its end. The two divers at the center of the story risk everything in order to solve these historical mysteries. In the process, they watch friends die, lose their marriages, nearly bankrupt themselves, and come very close to dying.

Crashing Through, as most of you know, tells the story of one man's journey into new vision after a lifetime of total blindness. Much of the adventure is interior - it happens almost inside that man.

To me, these stories always seemed strikingly similar, at least in the aspect that matters most to me - the motivations (and hearts) of the central characters.

In both stories, the main characters are confronted with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, a chance to do what very few people in the world have ever had a chance to do - or ever will again. Despite myriad and great risks - and even at the risk to their own lives - none of these men can abide the idea of turning his back on the chance to see the adventure through; none of them can live out their years knowing he'd had a chance to do something beautiful and impossible, but that he'd passed on that chance simply because it was too dangerous, simply because it might have killed him. Living life with that knowledge, to these men, seemed little like life at all.

This idea - that a person is what he does at that great moment of opportunity - has fascinated me since I was a kid. And, in these two adventures, I think the main characters speak to that idea in the most compelling and exciting ways.

Learn more about Crashing Through.
Users Online
Currently online:60 members 466 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: