Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

a Mike May site

You might be interested in this site about Mike May
http://www.senderogroup.com/mike.htm

Librarian
Author
RobertKurson
0 Kudos

Re: a Mike May site

[ Edited ]
Thanks so much for drawing attention to Mike's own website. You can see some nice photos of Mike and his family there. Also, if you go to my own site, www.robertkurson.com, you can see many other photos of Mike and his family, along with some astonishing illusions. Check out there, especially, the short Charlie Chaplin mask movie, which demonstrates the remarkable power of knowledge in vision.

[Editor's note: just zipped in here to fix a glitch in the link, Robert! Should be working now...]

Message Edited by Bill_T on 07-11-2007 03:14 PM

Learn more about Crashing Through.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

You've got to click through and watch the Charlie Chaplin movie on Robert's site everybody. I've linked right to the page with the movie -- just go there and click where it says "Watch a fascinating illusion in motion."

You won't regret it! Very cool stuff.

RobertKurson wrote:
Thanks so much for drawing attention to Mike's own website. You can see some nice photos of Mike and his family there. Also, if you go to my own site, www.robertkurson.com, you can see many other photos of Mike and his family, along with some astonishing illusions. Check out there, especially, the short Charlie Chaplin mask movie, which demonstrates the remarkable power of knowledge in vision.

[Editor's note: just zipped in here to fix a glitch in the link, Robert! Should be working now...]

Message Edited by Bill_T on 07-11-2007 03:14 PM

Contributor
MahaBali
0 Kudos

about the Charlie Chaplin movie - Isn't it incredible that no matter how hard you concentrate you can't get yourself to see it as concave!!??? i wonder if one can do it in real life vs. video...
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MahaBali wrote:
about the Charlie Chaplin movie - Isn't it incredible that no matter how hard you concentrate you can't get yourself to see it as concave!!??? i wonder if one can do it in real life vs. video...

try it this halloween, the answer is no LOL. there is a point as it starts to turn, when you see a part of the front and back that then you can but no, especially the further away you get from it. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Halloween masks

vivico1 wrote:

MahaBali wrote:

try it this halloween, the answer is no LOL. there is a point as it starts to turn, when you see a part of the front and back that then you can but no, especially the further away you get from it. :smileywink:

Viv,
Are you spinning Halloween masks on sticks at your house again? Where do you find them this time of year and how do you explain it? (snicker) :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:
Author
RobertKurson
0 Kudos

By the way, speaking of that Charlie Chaplin video, isn't it wonderful to listen to Richard Gregory's narration as he explains the critical role of knowledge in vision? It was exceedingly lucky for me to have access to explainers like Gregory and Ione Fine. I don't think I could have begun to understand the underlying science in Mike May's story without those two standing by me throughout. I think if a person has one professor in college like Gregory or Fine he's ahead of the game. To have two for this project was thrilling.

Learn more about Crashing Through.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 333 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: