Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

My daughter had been bugging me to read this trilogy for awhile. She's home for a visit so she basically sat on me and shoved this book in my face, saying: READ THIS NOW! Don't you just hate it when your kids are right? I've now passed it on to someone else and I've bought extra copies to give to my friends.

It isn't a romance but it is a book for women. It's classified as YA but it's all about empowerment and what it means to be a woman. Picture Harry Potter for girls, with a lot of feminist issues dealt with in a paranormal way.

That doesn't begin to describe the book -- just read it for yourself! My daughter says the second book in the trilogy, Rebel Angel, is even better. I'll be reading that next. The third book in the trilogy is a comparable length to the Harry Potter books which tends to put me off, but my daughter assures me that it's a fast read and that by the time I get to that volume I'll be fighting off anyone who tries to pull me away from the book.

I'd love to hear from others who have read this series!
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

I have heard really wonderful things about these books. I can't wait to read them...
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie, I think you will really get hooked on this series. It is good on so many different levels. It should be required reading for girls AND women. I loved it, as you can tell.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Becke,

i read this book last summer and really enjoyed it. I have the two sequels on the leaning tbr shelf, and plan to get to them this summer.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
becke_davis
0 Kudos

They had been in my TBR pile for awhile.  I'm glad my daughter forced me to read this one -- as soon as I get an assignment done I'll be digging into Rebel Angel.
New User
alice_stellan
0 Kudos

The "Great and Terrible Beauty" series should be on every best seller list around the globe. They are three AMAZING books with a truly wonderful plot line and character development. Libba Bray is an inspiration to many young writers and even influenced a friend of mine to take a creative writing class at university. I hope you'll read them and enjoy them thoroughly!
why so serious?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read the first two and bought the third but the size is a little daunting on that last one!
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'm dying to read these. I've heard amazing things. I think I'm going to take them with me on vacation this summer - make them my summer vacation books.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie - I think you will really like them.  They are YA but I think just about any woman would who reads would like them. 
New User
Andi13
0 Kudos

This series of books is fantastically well written!  i absolutely loved it!  But i hated the ending (I'm more for the happily ever after) The only thing u have to do those is just imagine it a different way.  I also don't like felicity and how she thinks she knows it all.:smileyhappy: