Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray

AUGUST FEATURE: Lisa Kleypas Hathaway Series!

[ Edited ]

I'm delirious. My two great loves, Lisa Kleypas and historical romance, together in the delicious Hathaway Series.

This month, Romantic Reads is featuring Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1) and Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2).

Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1)  

When an unexpected inheritance elevates her family to the ranks of the aristocracy, Amelia Hathaway discovers that tending to her younger sisters and wayward brother was easy compared to navigating the intricacies of the ton. Even more challenging: the attraction she feels for the tall, dark, and dangerously handsome Cam Rohan.

Wealthy beyond most men’s dreams, Cam has tired of society’s petty restrictions and longs to return to his “uncivilized” Gypsy roots. When the delectable Amelia appeals to him for help, he intends to offer only friendship—but intentions are no match for the desire that blindsides them both. But can a man who spurns tradition be tempted into that most time-honored arrangement: marriage? Life in London society is about to get a whole lot hotter….

Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2)   

Kev Merripen has longed for the beautiful, well-bred Winnifred Hathaway ever since her family rescued him from the brink of death when he was just a boy. But this handsome Gypsy is a man of mysterious origins—and he fears that the darkness of his past could crush delicate, luminous Win. So Kev refuses to submit to temptation…and before long Win is torn from him by a devastating twist of fate.

Then, Win returns to England…only to find that Kev has hardened into a man who will deny love at all costs. Meantime, an attractive, seductive suitor has set his sights on Win. It’s now or never for Kev to make his move. But first, he must confront a dangerous secret about his destiny—or risk losing the only woman he has lived for…

So, you know the drill! Read 'em and post your thoughts below!

Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 08-07-2009 09:32 AM
becke_davis

Re: August Feature: Lisa Kleypas Hathaway Series!

I owe a big thanks to this board for introducing me to Lisa Kleypas' books -- both her contemporaries and her historicals. She's written a lot of historicals, so I have a  lot in  my TBR pile. So far, I've loved every book of hers I've read.
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i cant wait!

i love her historicals, along with her contemporaries,

this series is one of my favorite

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1)  I read this entire book in one sitting yesterday.

I've read many of Lisa'a historicals and loved them all, but having most recently fallen head over heels for her Texas-set contemporary series, I was struck with how truly different her voice and style is depending on what genre she's writing. It's so impressive to me. At the back of the book was a little preview of Sugar Daddy and, reading the first few pages, it's like the work of an entirely different author. I bow down to her!

I really liked this book (big surprise.) There's just something so reassuring about reading a Kleypas historical. You know you're going to get a great love story between two well-suited characters, you know the secondary characters are going to be rich and three-dimensional, and you know that there will be enough historical nuggets to anchor the whole thing in reality.

So, what do you all think about this book? How do you feel about the Gypsy hero, and did you like how Kleypas depicts the prejudice of the time? Did you think Amelia was a sympathetic heroine or merely a busybody? What did you make of the Leo-being-haunted/supernatural element? And are you as in love with Beatrix as I am?

PS: Cam is just my type of hero. Strong, take-charge, with special abilities that set him apart from the average guy. And the rings! I don't usually like my men be-jeweled, but this really did it for me.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read all of her contemporaries, but I'm still catching up on her historicals. I love the way she writes, I just can't read fast enough. I know this cover, but will have to check if it's in my to-be-read pile or in my keeper stack. I spent one week awhile back reading a different Kleypas book every day, and I wasn't sure if I'd read this. Just looked up the description, though, and realized this is Cam's story, from Devil in Winter -- which I loved. So I'll have to read this one asap!
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I've read all of her contemporaries, but I'm still catching up on her historicals. I love the way she writes, I just can't read fast enough. I know this cover, but will have to check if it's in my to-be-read pile or in my keeper stack. I spent one week awhile back reading a different Kleypas book every day, and I wasn't sure if I'd read this. Just looked up the description, though, and realized this is Cam's story, from Devil in Winter -- which I loved. So I'll have to read this one asap!

I love how this author so expertly uses characters from other books. In this one, we have Cam and two of the Wallflowers, as well as their husbands.

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

this is my second fav book of her, after sugar daddy, i really enjoyed this book. cam was absolutley fantastic, the description was awesome...it really built up the series, if u know what i mean
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I read this last week now, but I still have images from the book floating through my head. This always happens to me after a Kleypas! I'm reading

Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2) this week and can't wait!

I agree, Cheyenne, on how wonderful Cam was. Just a manly, capable, loving, loyal man. I love how he took on Amelia's troubles without a concern.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Re: AUGUST FEATURE: Lisa Kleypas Hathaway Series!

Melanie_Murray, I have these two books and they are on my TBR pile to be read. I have been looking some of your posts. I like the way you let us know what is coming out. I don't know how you do it. I am lucky if I can keep up with the many authors I love to read and when they have books coming out.

Thanks for all the hard work.

ReadingPatti

Contributor
Yu_For_Romance
0 Kudos

I am ridiculously happy, and mildly sad. I'm happy because I love these two books to death, and Mine Til Midnight is actually my favorite Lisa Kleypas book of all time. But I'm also sad because I read these a couple months ago, so I feel like I jumped the gun a bit...

However, for anyone who hasn't read them yet - DO IT!

I can't even begin to explain the wonderful tinglings of happiness flitting through my brain just thinking about these books. I (highly) recommend them

Melanie_Murray

ReadingPatti: thank you for the kind words! I live to make all your TBR piles larger and larger. :smileywink:

Yu: I agree about Mine Till Midnight. I'm reading the second book right now, and enjoying it, but Mine might be on my favorite list too. Cam is definitely on my "favorite heroes" list. Every time he turns up in Seduce Me, I get a fluttery feeling in my tummy.

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I'm delirious. My two great loves, Lisa Kleypas and historical romance, together in the delicious Hathaway Series.

Melanie! You love historical romance?  I'm shocked!  I'm so glad you're featuring these books, cause Kleypas' books are my fave comfort re-reads -- along w/Madeline Hunter's, whom you may have heard of? :smileyhappy: 

This series is marvelous, and I'm DYING for Leo's story, whom you may have mentioned is the older bro inthe Hathaway clan.  And I have to tease cause I've read the Nov book in the series and it's definitely something to look forward to; awesome hero, as we all expect w/Lisa. 

Did you mention which is your fave Kleypas book?  My memory's awful, so I can't remember back to the posts. ugh.  And do you love the one w/the pirate bro, set partially in the So, one of her early American-set historicals?  sigh...

Message Edited by Michelle_Buonfiglio on 08-20-2009 06:33 PM
becke_davis

[ Edited ]
The Devil in Winter (Wallflower Series #3)  I'm still working my way through Lisa's historicals (I discovered her contemps. first), but so far my favorite is The Devil in Winter.
Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-20-2009 09:20 PM
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

my fav book by her is also devil nin winter...
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray, I know that my TBR pile is growing. I see that a thrid Hathway is coming in Oct. 

I am now reading:

Your Scandalous Ways 

I am about half way through this and I am loving it. Loretta Chase is a good writer. I am liking this a lot.

The Barefoot Princess (Lost Princess Series #2) 

I am going to read this. I got this from the County library. It looks good.

I just wanted to let you know that the library I work out got some money from a librarian that passed away. It was enough for us to operate of a year without additional funding.

Thank God, for those who comtribute to us. Without them we would not be open.

It getting excited because in five years the library will be celebrating 100 years. Yeah. Wow.

I don't know to many place that are open for the long now a days.

Melanie, thanks for all the hard work. You can keep my TBR pile growing for ever.  I know you will give up great reads and keep all our piles growing.

ReadingPatti

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio

ReadingPatti, That's so sad that your colleague passed away, but marvelous news she left money to the library.  100 year! Imagine all the enjoyment and imagination that's gone on there... 

I met my best friend in the library where she works. I didn't know anyone else who read romance, and I'd just moved to a new state.  She and her friend started telling me about more and more great books -- and the library had a great romance section -- and our friendship just took off from there.  --Michelle (BN.com's Heart to Heart)

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Michelle_Bounf, I am so glad that you meet your best friend at the library. What a way to find a friend.  I am so glad that you found the wonder and treasure of romance. There are so many great books out there that have great stories in them.

I have read so many romance that I can't remember how I have read.

Thanks for the kinds words about my former colleague. She was a nice lady from what I could remember of her.

Hope that you have many great read ahead of you as your continue to adventure through the wonderful world of romance.

ReadingPatti

Author
LisaMarieWilkinson
0 Kudos

My experience with Lisa Kleypas historicals was limited to "The Devil in Winter" until I picked up "Mine Til Midnight,"  and now more recently, "Seduce Me at Sunrise."  I enjoyed all three books very much, so now I'm working on picking up her backlist historicals.

I've always been fascinated by Gypsy characters, and I loved the character Cam and how Kleypas managed to work elements of the Romany culture into her story in subtle, interesting ways.

Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Wilkinson, Author of Historical Adventure-Romance
IPPY Gold Medal Winner
USA Book News Best Books Award Winner
PNWA Bronze Award Winner
Visit my website: http://www.lisamariewilkinson.com
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Well, I finished Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2), and immediately began planning all the subsequent related books that should be written (I'm going to have to let Lisa Kleypas know...) First, there's the spin-off historical romance series based on Cam and Kev's half-sisters. It'll all be so Sense & Sensibility! Their estate goes to [handsome, dark-skinned] brothers they never knew, and now the Cole girls must be married! Also, I'd like a gothic novel about Ms. Marks and her downfall, a series of children's books chronicling the misadventures of Beatrix's pets, and a ROMANCE FOR LEO. (I know it's coming. And after this book, the heroine had better be Ms. Marks. That's all I'm saying...for those who have read the advanced copy of Tempt Me at Twilight and can shed light on this situation, please do.)

As for the actual book? I loved it. Of course. Kev deserved mention in Michelle's recent column on PTSD heroes, and Win is just such a lovely heroine! She's fragile on the inside but when it comes down to it, she's tough as nails and independent as a modern woman. The scene at the end when she lights the wardrobe on fire might be one of the most memorable I've read in awhile. I was so thrilled that she was so proactive!

And can I reiterate how in love with Cam I am? (Suessian...) I'd read an entire box set of stories about him and Amelia.

So, another great Kleypas. Surprise, surprise....I was so disappointed when it was over that I picked up Smooth Talking Stranger so that my Kleypas weekend could continue.

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Well, I finished Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2), and immediately began planning all the subsequent related books that should be written (I'm going to have to let Lisa Kleypas know...) First, there's the spin-off historical romance series based on Cam and Kev's half-sisters. It'll all be so Sense & Sensibility! Their estate goes to [handsome, dark-skinned] brothers they never knew, and now the Cole girls must be married! Also, I'd like a gothic novel about Ms. Marks and her downfall, a series of children's books chronicling the misadventures of Beatrix's pets, and a ROMANCE FOR LEO. (I know it's coming. And after this book, the heroine had better be Ms. Marks. That's all I'm saying...for those who have read the advanced copy of Tempt Me at Twilight and can shed light on this situation, please do.)

As for the actual book? I loved it. Of course. Kev deserved mention in Michelle's recent column on PTSD heroes, and Win is just such a lovely heroine! She's fragile on the inside but when it comes down to it, she's tough as nails and independent as a modern woman. The scene at the end when she lights the wardrobe on fire might be one of the most memorable I've read in awhile. I was so thrilled that she was so proactive!

And can I reiterate how in love with Cam I am? (Suessian...) I'd read an entire box set of stories about him and Amelia.

So, another great Kleypas. Surprise, surprise....I was so disappointed when it was over that I picked up Smooth Talking Stranger so that my Kleypas weekend could continue.

That whole post is hilarious and amazing, Melanie.  I'd read every spin-off you mention.  Beatrix's Pets? HIlarious. Cam I Am? omg.  And, well, I'd like to spill all I know on the LEO, but I'm just not sure I should.  Like, would that be a spoiler or something?  Maybe I could just send you myARC of the next book... 

And I SO wish I'da thought of Cam for that column. The childhood abuse Cam survived isn't a form of PTSD we think of first, is it -- it's easiest to go right to the war-related stuff, no?  But you nailed it, and I wish I were thinking w/your brain the day I wrote it.  I've been really impressed w/the way authors in romance have been taking on the ish of abuse and still've been able to work it w/a very hopeful resonance -- just like we hope it can be worked in real life. I thinkthat's very authentic.

Cam I am?  I'm going to be laughing at that all day.