Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Alpha Heroes!

So my new column is up -- on our favorite alpha heroes.  Read it here:

Eloisa's Column

Who are your favorite alphas?

Eloisa 

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

New User
LoveWesternRomances.com

Re: Alpha Heroes!

I love the fantasy of the alpha male (the reality might be another thing:smileyhappy:. Some of my favorites are Linda Howard's Mackenzie brothers--pick any one. A little known historical western she did, the Touch of Fire, had the alpha-est of heroes, Rafe McCay, too. And I love Rachel Gibson's hocking playing heroes like Luc Martineau from See Jane Score and her latest, True Love and Other Disasters, has a super alpha hero, Ty Savage (love the name) that makes that book very hot. Linda Lael Miller's recent Montana Creed series has some great contemporary cowboy alphas as does her latest, The Bridegroom. Someone recently noted that the popularity of vampire novels may be because that's where the alpha male has had to go given the need for political correctness in characterizing relationships in the "real" world. I've never been interested in paranormal romance but that may just be a reason to pick one up if publishers "beta" our "normal" heroes too much. In my real life, I want a beta male--in the romance novels I read, give me an alpha every time.

Melanie_Murray

What a great column! Gah, it makes me dizzy to think of alpha heroes!

Of course, the first to pop in my mind is Wrath from Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #1). A model of alpha. Others that stick out to me as being sexy and in charge are the traditional 80s heroes, Brandon from Flame and the Flower and Claymore from Whitney, My Love.

Villiers, one of my favorite heroes, calls to mind the hero from Elizabeth Hoyt's Serpent Prince. His name is escaping me - Simon? - but he's similar bedecked in accoutrement - his red-heeled shoes still loom large in my imagination - and he's fierce and domineering in his way.

And welcome to the board, LoveWesternRomance!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie - Villiers and Wrath came to mind right away for me, too. And Hardy Cates in Lisa Kleypas' Sugar Daddy and Blue-eyed Devil. Linda Howard's heroes in several of her books. Anne Stuart's heroes. And just about all of those shirtless Scottish heroes in kilts!

I agree that vampires, werewolves and shape-shifters might be the new alphas -- look at Lora Leigh's Breeds and Nalini Singh's shifters, for instance.  

I think we're more likely to find the alphas Eloisa describes in historicals, because those feature men at the top of society's ladder, where arrogance and alpha characteristics are bred in the bone. 

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Melanie - Villiers and Wrath came to mind right away for me, too. And Hardy Cates in Lisa Kleypas' Sugar Daddy and Blue-eyed Devil. Linda Howard's heroes in several of her books. Anne Stuart's heroes. And just about all of those shirtless Scottish heroes in kilts!

I agree that vampires, werewolves and shape-shifters might be the new alphas -- look at Lora Leigh's Breeds and Nalini Singh's shifters, for instance.  

I think we're more likely to find the alphas Eloisa describes in historicals, because those feature men at the top of society's ladder, where arrogance and alpha characteristics are bred in the bone. 

Hardy Cates. Sigh. All the Travis men, too. Gage, especially. God I love those books.

Author
VanessaKelly
0 Kudos

Great column!

Where to start with all the alpha heroes?  Well, just about any by Lisa Kleypas, for one.  One of my favorites is Westcliffe in the Wallflower Series, and I have a real soft spot for Sir Ross, in Lady Sophia's Lover.  And, sounding like a broken record, Dain in Lord of Scoundrels, but I also love Benedict in Lord Perfect, and Julian Brandon in Knaves' Wager, one of the Loretta Chase's earlier books.

Another favorite alpha is Baran, from Angela Knight's Jane's Warlord.  Man, he's hot.  And manly.  And hot.  But very tortured on the inside, which makes it all the more satisfying when he falls in love with Jane.

And speaking of gorgeous manly men, Villiers is pretty rockin' in A Duke of Her Own!

I could go on and on, but that's a good start on alpha goodness.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Vanessa! It's so much fun to see authors here that I've actually MET! I'm nearly finished with Villiers' book, A Duke of Her Own, and I absolutely LOVE him with Eleanor. She's perfect for him!  Here's a link to Vanessa's book, since I know she'll be shy about mentioning it:

Mastering the Marquess  

Author
VanessaKelly
0 Kudos

Aw, Becke!  You're so sweet!  It was great meeting you at RWA, too.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

too many choices...hardy cates from blue eyed devil, absolutley, lucy monroe's mercenary tril men come to mind also, along with gray rouilard(sp?) in linda howard's after the night...umm and alsolinda lael miller's mcketticks and oballivans
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

I had forgotten the MacKenzie brothers -- fabulous alphas!  There's also that Linda Howard series about the young schoolteacher and the American Indian hero, and the follow-up is the son, who's become an ace pilot in the airforce.  Anyone remember those?

And of course i absolutely agree -- very few of these alphas are men I'd want to marry.  Although I believe I'd make an except for Villiers *g*

Eloisa 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EloisaJames wrote:

I had forgotten the MacKenzie brothers -- fabulous alphas!  There's also that Linda Howard series about the young schoolteacher and the American Indian hero, and the follow-up is the son, who's become an ace pilot in the airforce.  Anyone remember those?

And of course i absolutely agree -- very few of these alphas are men I'd want to marry.  Although I believe I'd make an except for Villiers *g*

Eloisa 

I think that WAS the MacKenzie series -- and I loved it (they come in several editions so I listed some duplicates):
Mackenzie's Legacy   The Mackenzie Family   Mackenzie's Mission   Mackenzie's Mission   The Mackenzies  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Eloisa - I finished A Duke of Her Own last night and I absolutely loved it. My favorite of the series, and definitely a keeper!
Frequent Contributor
Janga
0 Kudos

I have too many favorite alphas to name them all, but the two who first come to mind are the Duke of Avon in Heyer's These Old Shades, probably the first alpha hero I ever recognized as such, and Dain in Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels, who is in any list I make of favorite heroes of any description.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Janga wrote:
I have too many favorite alphas to name them all, but the two who first come to mind are the Duke of Avon in Heyer's These Old Shades, probably the first alpha hero I ever recognized as such, and Dain in Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels, who is in any list I make of favorite heroes of any description.
Dain. *sigh* I'm with you on that one.
 Oh, and Erith in Anna Campbell's Tempt the Devil! 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-05-2009 03:03 PM
New User
MariElle_Betts
0 Kudos

I love all your alpha heroes- but I think my all time most favourite is Harry Trasker in True Lies. Maybe it's the visual. I love the guys in romance stories but don't actually visualize each one so while I'm in love with them while I'm reading, tend to forget one as I move on to the next story- does that make me fickle?
Inspired Contributor
1lovealways
0 Kudos

Alpha Heroes, huhOh, my God, there are so many!!!  Where to startWell, I have a lot of them, but two come to mind who are my absolute favorites

Jack Savage from The Darkest Heart by Brenda JoyceThe way she describes his gray eyes just does me in everytime (I'm a sucker for gray, hazel and green eyes). I've read this book several timesHe's smokin' hot!!!

Marsha Canham is also a favorite authorI've read several of her books, but Alexander Cameron in A Pride of Lions and The Blood of Roses is my all time favoriteBesides being drop dead gorgeous, he's ScottishI love those Scottish heroes!!!  Gets to me every time!!! Yum!!!

Here are some Linda Howard heroes that I just adore! Chance Mackenzie A Game of Chance , Rafe McCay The Touch of Fire, Marc Chastain Kill & Tell and Gray Rouillard After the Night.

Cole Latimer Ashes in the Wind Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Rhys ap Griffith The Eagle's Song Marylyle Rogers

Caleb Black Only His Elizabeth Lowell

Joaquin Santiago Dead Sexy Amanda Ashley

The Heroes of The Dark Series Brenda Joyce

The Heroes of The Highlander Series Karen Marie Moning

As you can see, I'm all over the placeWestern, Contemporary and Paranormal just to name a fewLet's face itAlpha is alpha in any ageTheir gorgeous, sexy and oh soooo hotThe one thing I love about them is that there's always that one woman who can touch their heart and win their loveUmmmmm! Luscious!

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Becke,

No wonder I had such warm (if vague) feelings about MacKenzie heroes -- those ARE my favorites!

And someone mentioned the Duke of Avon, ala Georgette Heyer.  What a fabulous dark hero--I adore him.

Eloisa 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reading Linda Howard's BURN, which has a wonderful alpha hero who is paired up with one of the fiestiest heroines I've read in ages -- LOVE these two!

And it's hard to beat Suzanne Brockmann's Navy SEALS when it comes to alpha heroes. 

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Becke - AnneB here - I was just going to mention all the Navy Seals from Suz Brockmann !!! Also how about all the Cynster and Bastion Club men from Stephanie Laurens??

Anne

Contributor
dark_revival
0 Kudos

My favorite alpha would be Gregori from Dark Magic, which is apart of the carpathian series.