Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Smgmtx
0 Kudos

Any Modern Romances with a "not-so-perfect" Heroine?

[ Edited ]
I'm a big fan of modern romances and some paranormal but most of them always seem to have the same perfect, outgoing, strong, flirtatious, submissive, not-afraid-to-get-what-she-wants heroine. I would love to find a good story with the modern/paranormal romance theme where the heroine shares a more shy/passive, imperfect character but I'm doubtful there is one. :smileysad:

~+~ Sam ~+~

Message Edited by Smgmtx on 05-28-2008 05:44 AM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Any Modern Romances with a "not-so-perfect" Heroine?

Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Faking It by Jennifer Crusie
Frequent Contributor
read2teach
0 Kudos

I agree with Becky, pretty much anything by Crusie and Phillips.
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Christie Ridgway writes wonderful contemps in which the heroine is often not perfect -- physically or emotionally.  I love her work!

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Also Rachel Gibson, Connie Brockway -- this is just a start!
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Some of Christine Feehan's female characters are strong and some aren't. I think Lynn Viehl (sp?) has a good mixture too.
Contributor
Readers-R-Leaders
0 Kudos

Jane Porter's Odd Mom Out and the sequel Mrs. Perfect 
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Now I have even more good books to add to my very long list! There were a few mentioned that I haven't tried yet.

Another heroine that's far from perfect is Stephanie Plum the clumsy bounty hunter in the series by Janet Evanovich. You will laugh out loud with these characters. :smileyvery-happy:  Sarah Strohmeyer's also has a funny heroine in the series about Bubbles the former hairdresser turned reporter.

Jennifer Weiner has great characters that have less then perfect lives. Her books are great and have humor but they aren't all quite as light-hearted as some of the others mentioned. Debbie Macomber's books are similar and also good.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Christie Ridgway, our guest author, also wrote several books you might like -- try Not Another New Year.  Haven't read her new one yet but it sounds good.
Frequent Contributor
bookwormbeckykong
0 Kudos

He Loves Lucy by Susan Donavan
Reader
NightWatch
0 Kudos

Try Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, esp. Night Play.  The heroine in that is a size 16 with low self-esteem.

NightWatch
becke_davis
0 Kudos

bookwormbeckykong wrote:
He Loves Lucy by Susan Donavan

I love Susan Donovan. I just finished one of her books that had been buried in my TBR pile for awhile.
Frequent Contributor
bookwormbeckykong
0 Kudos

i love susan donovan too,  I wish she would come out with books more often. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

bookwormbeckykong wrote:
i love susan donovan too,  I wish she would come out with books more often. 

I forgot to mention the title of the one I finished the other day: The Kept Woman.
New User
twilight6
0 Kudos

you could try the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer which is at the moment my favourite series and i am eagerly awaiting thte next book.
Author
LisaMarieWilkinson
0 Kudos

Another suggestion is "No Regrets" by Michele Ann Young.  It features a plus-size heroine with self-esteem issues.

Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie Wilkinson, Author of Historical Adventure-Romance
IPPY Gold Medal Winner
USA Book News Best Books Award Winner
PNWA Bronze Award Winner
Visit my website: http://www.lisamariewilkinson.com
Contributor
authorrosewynters
0 Kudos

The Endurers

Book 1 Rubenesque Rapture

Book 2 Curvaceous Condemnation

Both of them have a plus sized BBW heroine, and they are both paranormal romances!
Contributor
authorrosewynters
0 Kudos

Try out my Endurers or Wolf Town Guardians series.... I write romances with a plus-sized heroine.

Rubenesque Rapture