Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
gailingis
0 Kudos

Re: April 5: Chat with Kristan Higgins

Just finished your latest. Love the surprises, the ups, the downs.  I was crushed when Harper dropped in to see her biological mom. Linda's (her mom) behavior was abominable. It was not what I was expecting.  I loved BeverLee, a real softee, and Harper in the kitchen. Their dialogue was accompanied by my tears and my laughter. it was delicious to waddle in their speak and hugs. And Nick, what a charmer. He could do no wrong.  Harper finally figures it all out and does a great job pulling her life and everyone else's together.  Absolutely loved the watery ending. Great headlines in the newspapers. I could not put this page turner down. Exhilarating from beginning to end.

Gail Ingis

New User
krisgils33
0 Kudos

I'm very excited for this book.  All of Kristan's books are auto-buy for me!  I just have not had the time to get to the story yet.  Soon, very, very soon!!!!

Author
kristan_higgins
0 Kudos

Well, we know up front that Harper's mom is not in the picture, and that Harper hasn't seen or heard from her in years. To the best of Harper's knowledge, she had a fantastic relationship with her mom, so this abandonment is stunning. And obviously, if your mom leaves you, you'd have some trust issues. Harper becomes very guarded, though she's too young to really put a word on it. There are two people who break through--her stepsister, Willa, and Nick, who basically falls in love with her at first glance. Harper is so afraid to really open up to someone, so afraid of being left again...she really broke my heart sometimes!

www.kristanhiggins.com
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

kristan_higgins wrote:

Well, we know up front that Harper's mom is not in the picture, and that Harper hasn't seen or heard from her in years. To the best of Harper's knowledge, she had a fantastic relationship with her mom, so this abandonment is stunning. And obviously, if your mom leaves you, you'd have some trust issues. Harper becomes very guarded, though she's too young to really put a word on it. There are two people who break through--her stepsister, Willa, and Nick, who basically falls in love with her at first glance. Harper is so afraid to really open up to someone, so afraid of being left again...she really broke my heart sometimes!

One thing I thought you did such a nice job with, and this goes back to the first person question, was communicating to the readers that really, Harper is a knock-out, while also letting us know that she's completely humble about it and while aware of it not vain at all. I was so impressed with that. Also, it's a story point and this was so refreshing for me because heroines are so often gorgeous in romantic fiction just because they're heroines.

But this also made it completely believable that Nick would fall for Harper across a crowded room, or bar in their case.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

*pants*

("panting for breath" that is - I'm not just randomly talking about men's clothing)

(although...)

Whew, sorry I'm late! It's a busy day over at the Mystery thread so it took me longer to get over here than I expected. Sooooo....

*waves madly* Hi Kristan! It's so great to see you here! We've got a regular KH cheerleading squad here, and for good reason - your books are wonderful!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

One thing that really got to me in this story was how realistic the conflicts were. I got married at 19 and, boy, I can remember those feelings of abandonment. In my case, it wasn't my husband's job, it was his music - he'd disappear under the headphones for hours or go off and play his guitar with the door closed. I felt like he was shutting me out. Reading this brought back all those feelings (which, luckily, I overcame when I realized it was just habit) and made me connect to the book on a very personal level. I LOVED it!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

One thing that really got to me in this story was how realistic the conflicts were. I got married at 19 and, boy, I can remember those feelings of abandonment. In my case, it wasn't my husband's job, it was his music - he'd disappear under the headphones for hours or go off and play his guitar with the door closed. I felt like he was shutting me out. Reading this brought back all those feelings (which, luckily, I overcame when I realized it was just habit) and made me connect to the book on a very personal level. I LOVED it!

Becke, I had the same experience reading this. I think no matter how old you are when you get married, there's that adjustment period where your heart gets used to the fact that "hey! we're not going to spend TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY holding hands????" And you just hit the nail on the head: the conflict in this book is so realistic; it's not a heightened fairy-tale conflict it's what really gets in the way of a new relationship.

Loved. This. Book.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

"hey! we're not going to spend TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY holding hands????"  - EXACTLY!!!

New User
Kristin_Wallace
0 Kudos

Kirstan I've loved your books for a long time & each one just gets better. I'm so glad to see someone who writes flat out funny be successful because so many "industry" folks insist humor doesn't sell. Even though you have humor it's not at the expense of emotional depth.  There's always some point where I cry, too. (in this one it was with the mother & then later with Harper & BeveryLee). What great characters you created from Harper & Nick to Willa to the priest and the silent father.

Only problem is I fly through your book in a day or two & then have to wait so long for the next one, lol

Kristin Wallace

Author
kristan_higgins
0 Kudos

Sorry, gang, my friend just popped over for an impromptu visit...Hi, Gail, hi, Kris! Thanks for swinging by!

Harper was the first truly drop-dead gorgeous heroine I've written. I always shied away from the emerald-eye syndrome, as I think of it...:smileyhappy: But it worked for her, and as is true for most women, she's got issues with her looks! But it did explain Nick's instant attraction...

And it was very fun to write a young married couple! I agree with both Becke (hello, Becke!) and Melanie, that the adjustment phase from courtship to real life comes as something of a shock. Harper's fears are almost a self-fulfilling prophesy, but Nick certainly doesn't help, as much as he truly loves her.

The chapter about their early marriage was both wonderful and horrible to write. F. Scott Fitzgerald has that famous line, "Kill your darlings," in reference to being ruthless in what makes it to the final cut of a manuscript. But that chapter felt like murdering my darlings in an entirely different way. "Here, you two. Let me break your hearts." It was tough!

www.kristanhiggins.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

kristan_higgins wrote:

Sorry, gang, my friend just popped over for an impromptu visit...Hi, Gail, hi, Kris! Thanks for swinging by!

Harper was the first truly drop-dead gorgeous heroine I've written. I always shied away from the emerald-eye syndrome, as I think of it...:smileyhappy: But it worked for her, and as is true for most women, she's got issues with her looks! But it did explain Nick's instant attraction...

And it was very fun to write a young married couple! I agree with both Becke (hello, Becke!) and Melanie, that the adjustment phase from courtship to real life comes as something of a shock. Harper's fears are almost a self-fulfilling prophesy, but Nick certainly doesn't help, as much as he truly loves her.

The chapter about their early marriage was both wonderful and horrible to write. F. Scott Fitzgerald has that famous line, "Kill your darlings," in reference to being ruthless in what makes it to the final cut of a manuscript. But that chapter felt like murdering my darlings in an entirely different way. "Here, you two. Let me break your hearts." It was tough!

How true for your fans too Kristan talking about their early marriage, I kept going from wanting to hit them over the head to crying and I did cry a few tears on that chapter, it just tore at my heart because I felt for both of them.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

kristan_higgins wrote:

It was hard to read that part - if it was women's fiction, I would have been very nervous. But since it was a romance and it was you, I knew it would turn out well in the end. Thank goodness!

New User
brookemoss
0 Kudos

Hi Kristan!

As a dedicated and loyal reader (and current Facebook stalker) as well as a soon to be published author, do you have any advice on how to help me create a loyal fanbase like you have? What I mean is, whenever one of your books comes out, I am compelled to buy it, purely because I know you'll provide me with plenty of romance and laughs. How did you manage to establish and nurture your relationship with fans? Is it all because of your publicists, or did you put in a lot of hours on marketing as well?

--Sarah "Brooke" Moss

P.S. Truly love your books. Nick is an excellent character and actually shook my loyalty to Maloner the Loner. Hard to do...btw.

Author
kristan_higgins
0 Kudos

Hi, Brooke! Thanks for dropping by! My advice would be simple: be sincere. I still remember the first fan letter I ever got (hi, Alana from Wyoming!). All my newsletters, interviews, etc. are written by yours truly. I always answer honestly, and I always remember that when I'm speaking as an author, I represent not just myself but my books and my publisher. You'll never hear my views on religion, politics, gun control...

I've never gotten over the thrill and appreciation I feel that someone has taken the time to write to me. I don't know any author who has, really.

Good luck with your book, and congratulations again!

www.kristanhiggins.com
New User
Paige_B
0 Kudos

Hi Kristan!

I absolutely loved MY ONE AND ONLY! I stayed up in the wee hours of the morning to finish it. I cried several times throughout the book. It was my favorite book you have published so far.

I too married young, right out of college at age 21 and fortunately I am still happily married 10 years later. :smileyhappy:

I really can't nail down exactly what I loved about this book but it really was well written and I can't wait for the next one. Can you drop any hints about ideas for your next book?

Thanks for the great books!

Paige

New User
Ann_M
0 Kudos

Finally made it.  Was a little technology challenged but I'm here.   

Kristan, I loved My One and Only.   As with all your books, you bring us laughter, tears and smiles as we read your books.   

How does a die-hard Yankees fan keep having characters who are end up loving the Red Sox?  (Nick aside - I loved the comments about him driving Red Sox fans crazy wearing his Yankees gear.)    Can you give us some hints on your next project?   

New User
wannabe
0 Kudos

The book - like all your books - looks fantastic. I love your heroines and your secondary characters are always hilarious. I read them all.

Do you think you'll ever branch out from contemporaries with 30 something heroines?

Author
kristan_higgins
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Paige! And congratulations on 10 years of happy marriage! I'm so glad you liked MY ONE AND ONLY...it's so funny, because as the author, I never know how the book will strike readers, and I've been overwhelmed with all the lovely emails and postings and reviews. Really overwhelmed. I get a bit weepy when my husband reads a particularly nice Amazon review (can't bring myself to brave that page all alone...).

The next book is called UNTIL THERE WAS YOU, and I think of it as Return of the Bad Boy. That's a classic theme in romance...that hot guy from high school...the heroine, Posey, says at one point that he exudes the "You want me/I ignore you" vibe. But I hope that I've put a slight twist on things, in that Liam finds the town has a long memory, and he has to face up to some of the things (and women) he's done. :smileyhappy: He's also a dad now, and terrified that his daughter will fall for the wrong guy. The heroine knew Liam back then, worshipped him from afar, had all sorts of romantic ideas about him, right up until he crushed her naive young heart.

So there you go, a little sneak peek! Hope you'll like it!

Oh, and in answer to an earlier question, yes, this is my first book where we see both the hero and heroine's point of view. Liam just seemed to have too much going on not to share that with the reader. Hope you like it!

www.kristanhiggins.com
New User
Paige_B
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the sneak peek! Sounds like another winner. I love a bad boy hero! :smileywink:

Author
kristan_higgins
0 Kudos

Hi, Ann! So glad you made it! And thank you for the lovely compliment on the book!

Re:

How does a die-hard Yankees fan keep having characters who are end up loving the Red Sox?  (Nick aside - I loved the comments about him driving Red Sox fans crazy wearing his Yankees gear.)

Well, most of my books are set in New England, and aside from the elite Connecticut crowd, New England is Red Sox territory. Note, however, Ann, that the Sox never win. Right? That's what I'm talking about, sister! (Sorry, Sox fans. Gotta stay true to the Pinstripes!)

www.kristanhiggins.com