Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

April is Arcane Society! Chat with Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle!

Well, I'm just thrilled. I use that expression a lot, I know, but it's absolutely, positively true because Jayne Ann Krentz, my beloved Amanda Quick, will be right here at Romantic Reads on Wednesday to answer our questions and bask in our love. Tune in right here at 5 PM Eastern time.

I've long wanted to highlight the Arcane Society books here. This month seemed like a good time to do it, as Amanda Quick's entry into the latest AS trilogy, Quicksilver (Arcane Society Series #11), comes out in a week or so, and the paperback release of last year's Quick hardcover, Burning Lamp (Arcane Society Series #8), was a few weeks ago. Romance readers know that Jayne writes all genres under different pseudonyms, and the Arcane Society allows her to continue this while writing connected books. It's kind of unfathomably awesome. Anyone who knows me knows I'm partial to her Quick books, but these are all just wonderful, interesting reads.

From Jayne's website, this video does a succinct job of explaining the books:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: April is Arcane Society! Chat with Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle!

Has anyone who posts here read them all?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Re: April is Arcane Society! Chat with Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle!

[ Edited ]

I have the entire series in hardcover.  It is very well done...

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray, I beleive I have read them all but one. I have it on my TBR list. I love this books.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie - Yes, I've read them all and I have them on my keeper shelf !! :womanvery-happy:..

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm a BIG fan Melanie and I'll be there with bells on :smileyhappy:

and yes I've read all JAK, JC, and AQ too love all her stuff

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

ive read all her books, and ameagerly waiting for the next:smileyhappy:

this series, indeed all her books, are amazing!

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Gosh, I can't believe how many of you have read ALL these books! How do you find the time???

anyway, just to remind you - Jayne will be here at the boards today at 5PM my time (east coast.)

And if any of you missed my post yesterday at H2H, it was a letter direct from Jayne. I'll post below!

THE ARCANE SOCIETY NOVELS

If you’ve read any of my books, you already know that I have been writing romantic-suspense with a psychic vibe since the start of my career.  True, in the early days of my writing, I had to sneak in the paranormal thing because publishers were convinced that it wouldn’t sell. But you’ve probably noticed that I’ve done a lot of highly intuitive heroines.

But at long last the paranormal is hot.  No big surprise.  That’s where the classic Alpha Male went after he became politically incorrect first in contemporaries and then in historicals.  You can’t keep a good Alpha down, I always say.  He was bound to make a comeback.  He has done exactly that in the modern paranormal romance where he can be more dangerous, more powerful, and more of a serious threat than ever before.  Such qualities, of course, also make him a thrilling challenge to the heroine, which is what romance is all about.  After all, the classic romance novel is based on the Beauty and the Beast story, and the paranormal is a fine venue for that archetypal tale. Sometimes we get actual beasts in these modern stories.  Werewolves and vampires and dragons, oh my!

Personally, I don’t do vamps and werewolves.  I can read those stories with pleasure but I can’t write them.  Instead, I do heroes and heroines with psychic powers.  I love the way the psychic bond between the lovers enhances the relationship.  I think most women can get into that kind of story because every woman understands intuition. My stories are just one—okay, maybe two steps beyond intuition.

So, I was more than ready when the paranormal craze finally hit the romance market.  I had been developing my vision of the Arcane Society novels for some time and I was ready to fly.  But I had a problem.  While I had always intended to write a full-fledged paranormal series, I had definitely not planned on having three careers going by the time the opportunity came around.  But that’s what happened.  See, I write contemporary romantic-suspense under my Jayne Ann Krentz  name, historical romantic-suspense under my Amanda Quick pen name, and futuristic romantic-suspense under my Jayne Castle name (which happens to be my birth name, by the way). 

My first inclination was to drop my historical and futuristic careers and focus on a contemporary series.  But, truth be told,  I love writing the historicals and the futuristics.  What’s more, I find it wonderfully refreshing as an author to move through each of my three worlds.   It occurred to me that there was no reason why a clandestine society of psychics, as well as the descendants of the mysterious family that founded the Arcane Society—the Jones family—couldn’t exist in all three time periods.   So I did it.  Hey, this is fiction.  I love it.

Currently, I’m in the middle of a trilogy-within-Arcane, The Looking Glass Trilogy.  Book I, In Too Deep (Arcane Society Series #10), is out now.  Book II, Quicksilver (Arcane Society Series #11), releases in mid-April.  Book III, Canyons of Night, will be available in late August.  

Each book in the Arcane Society series can be read as a stand-alone, but those who read all three of my fictional landscapes—past, present, and future—will discover the complete history of the Arcane Society.  

I hope you enjoy getting to know the dangerous, secretive, and powerful men of the Arcane Society, and the passionate and psychically talented women who teach them how to love.

Please visit me at my website or on Facebook:

www.jayneannkrentz.com

http://www.facebook.com/JayneAnnKrentz

Sincerely,

Jayne

Author
JayneAnnKrentz
0 Kudos

Hi, Melanie: Just checking in to let you know I'm here and looking forward to our chat!

Learn more about Running Hot.

Discover all Jayne Ann Krentz titles.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Gah. I don't know what to ask Jayne! There's too much! I will start with a welcome, and a humble thank you, and a few descriptions of the books that are out now:

Burning Lamp (Arcane Society Series #8) from a Starred Review from PW: Bestseller Jayne Ann Krentz, writing under her historical fantasy nom de plume, turns in a top-notch performance in the second Dreamlight novel. Crime lord Griffin Winters rules a vast underworld empire in Victorian London, but he fears the descent of a familial curse of madness brought on by an ancestor's alchemical experiments. Only a powerful magical artifact, controlled by a woman of rare power, can save him. Magically gifted orphan Adelaide Pyne, recently embarked on a crusade to save women from prostitution, could be that woman, and a psychic connection soon draws Adelaide and Griffin into a dangerous partnership. Fast-paced and cleverly constructed, the tale perfectly balances lively adventure, passionate romance, and the paranormal against an elaborate and refreshingly original background. Arcane Society fans will be thrilled, and new readers will find this stand-alone story very accessible.

Quicksilver (Arcane Society Series #11)  Virginia Dean wakes at midnight beside a dead body, with a bloody knife in her hand and no memory of the evening's events. Dark energy, emanating from the mirrors lining the room, overpowers her senses. With no apparent way in or out, she is rescued by a man she has met only once before, but won't soon forget.

Owen Sweetwater inherited his family's talent for hunting the psychical monsters who prey on London's women and children, and his investigation into the deaths of two glass-readers has led him here. The high-society types of the exclusive Arcane Society would consider Virginia an illusionist, a charlatan, even a criminal, but Owen knows better. Virginia's powers are real-and they just might be the key to solving this challenging case.

Author
JayneAnnKrentz
0 Kudos

Melanie:  Thanks so much for inviting me here today to talk about the Arcane Society.  Trust me, I do realize this has not been the easiest series to follow, crossing, as it does, through all three of my pen names.  But, then, I never planned to end up with three pen names! 

To those of you who have followed me into all three of my fictional worlds -- past, present and future -- please know that I am more grateful than I can possibly say.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Hi Jayne! Waving!

My computer is moving deathly slow right now so I'll ask a few questions at once:

First, how in the WORLD do you keep your pseudonyms straight when you are writing? I mean, do you ever have story ideas that you automatically know will work better in a certain genre?

How long do you plan on writing the Arcane Society books? and from now on will they all be written in connected, inter-genre trilogies?

Tell us about the Looking Glass trilogy!

Author
JayneAnnKrentz
0 Kudos

Keeping my pen names straight has never been a problem.  When I'm in a particular world, I'm consumed by that fictional landscape.  I never even think about the other two landscapes. Can't walk and chew gum at the same time, I guess.

People tell me that I "sound" a little different in each world but I think that is deceptive.  The truth is I do the same kinds of characters in all three worlds.  My heroes and heroines all have similar values, world views and a similar sense of humor -- my sense of humor. And that, evidently, flies right over the heads of some readers who think that I have no sense of humor. Ahem.  That is a whole other issue.

The three worlds-- past, present and future -- feel different, I think, because the three different landscapes allow me to do different kinds of plots.  Some stories simply work better in the historicals, for example.   

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I just read Burning Lamp and Quicksilver back-to-back, and what I want to know is this: do you have a running list in your head of amazing hero/heroine combos? One thing I really can't get over is how quickly you write and how I'm never disappointed in the heroes and heroines. Just in these two that I just read, the heroines are completely strong, admirable, interesting women, and the heroes. Well, I just didn't know how you could top Griffin, then that first scene with Owen happens and he's buttoning Virginia's dress, and I was a goner.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Well I think you're very funny.

Do you have a favorite book in this series or is that like asking you the name of your favorite child?

Author
JayneAnnKrentz
0 Kudos

Let's see, where was I?  Oh, yes, Melanie, you wanted to know how long I intend to do the Arcane Society novels.  Funny you should ask because, while I am staying with psychic romantic-suspense in all three worlds, I will be firing up three new series this coming year. 

First out of the box is my August Jayne Castle release, CANYONS OF NIGHT.  It is the conclusion of the Looking Glass Trilogy but it is also the start of the Rainshadow novels.  Thoses who read the Harmony books are going to discover a new and very mysterious island on Harmony, Rainshadow Island.  

And, yes, there will be dust bunnies.  The one in CANYONS OF NIGHT is named Rex.  He carries a clutch purse.  A very nice clutch purse, I might add.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

JayneAnnKrentz wrote:

And, yes, there will be dust bunnies.  The one in CANYONS OF NIGHT is named Rex.  He carries a clutch purse.  A very nice clutch purse, I might add.

See? Funny.

will the Rainshadow books always be part of the Arcane Society?

Author
JayneAnnKrentz
0 Kudos

And I should also add that after doing the two trilogies that cross between my three names: The Dreamlight Trilogy and the Looking Glass Trilogy, I will now once again, separate out the three names.   Each of my new series will track with a particular name.  If you only read me as Amanda Quick you won't have to read me as Jayne Ann Krentz or Jayne Castle to find out how the story ends!  

Of course, I'd love it if you do continue to read me under all three names but I understand that not everyone wants to do that.

Author
JayneAnnKrentz
0 Kudos

Oh, yeah, and the start of the next Jayne Ann Krentz contemporary series is COPPER BEACH (January 2012).   It launches a fresh new psychic romantic-suspense setting.  The books will be known as The Dark Legacy Novels.