Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

August 13: Visit with Karen Hawkins

Karen's latest book, Sleepless in Scotland, is one of my long list picks this month! She'll be visiting us Thursday, August 13 to chat about her MacLean Curse series.

Please give Karen Hawkins a warm BN welcome!

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Re: August 13: Visit with Karen Hawkins

Thanks, Eloisa! It's a pleasure being here! I'm home today, dog-sitting my mother-in-law's new puppy and trying to decide which book I want to read from my To Be Read Pile. It's delicious being off-deadline for a change and I'm luxuriating!

Anyone else's job slowed down or sped up lately?  I always seem to get a break in August. Or maybe I just take one. Hmmm. That could be it, too!

:smileyhappy:

Karen

Check out my newest book, Sleepless in Scotland
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Welcome to the board, Karen! We're so happy to have you here...

I'd love to be puppy-sitting right now. Instead I have a sixty pound drooling bulldog who doesn't listen to my commands.

Can you tell us a bit about the book? And the MacLeans, in general, for those unlucky few who haven't yet read any of your amazing books?

Here's a selection of some of Karen's books:

The Laird Who Loved Me

To Scotland, with Love  

Sleepless in Scotland  

How to Abduct a Highland Lord  

To Catch a Highlander  

And the Bride Wore Plaid  

Frequent Contributor
KimCastillo
0 Kudos

Hey Karen!!

Slow down? Surely you jest! Not here. Summer is super duper busy.

I LOVE your MacLean curse series! The last two books are about sisters and connected, right? Do they take place over the same time period or are they consecutive?

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie! I'd love to talk about the MacLeans!

Due to their horrible temper, the family was cursed back in the Elizabethan period by a White Witch. The curse -- as most magic tends to do -- affects each person in a slightly different way. When they lose their temper, it stirs the weather. For some, that means snow even in the dead of summer, for others, huge lightning storms and for yet others -- well, you'll need to read the series to see how it affects every one. :smileyhappy:

The final book of the MacLean Series comes out August 25th, The Laird Who Loves Me. A lot of of questions about the MacLean will be answered ... and a few new questions may be asked, too!

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Hi Kim!

The final two MacLean books take place one after the other -- in a time line, TO SCOTLAND WITH LOVE happens about four months before THE LAIRD WHO LOVED ME.

It was fun writing about brothers and sisters, though. LOTS of family interactions. I always love writing those since I came from a huge extended family, myself. :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Karen I'm another one of the fans that Love the MacLeans and every thing else you write too, Um especially if it involves men wearing kilts. Melanie and a few of the other regulars here know that I have a kilt coquettish, they and their wearers just jump up my blood pressure and give me the well the vapors if you will. I haven't read your latest yet but I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks for visiting today 

A true fan. 

Contributor
okieb
0 Kudos

Hi, Karen! Like everyone else, the MacLean Curse series is one of my favs. I am so excited for the 'finale' in The Laird Who Loved Me  :smileyvery-happy:
Okie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Karen! Count me among your fans, but I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to read the new one yet. I've heard such great things about it -- I can hardly wait!
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Karen,

I'm always so impressed with authors who write great dialogue, and yours stands out to me consistently as being so sharp and vibrant. Do you work at that? Or does dialoge come naturally to you?

New User
janeeyre01
0 Kudos

I agree I love the kilts. I don't know what it is about them. I guess my Scottish heritage is coming out. Got to go to Scotland when I was younger and we went to several shops and places they made quilts.

If you like the Scottish them Monica McCarty has two trilogy's  that are great.

Frequent Contributor
Janga
0 Kudos

Hi, Karen!

I've stolen way too much time this summer to read and to watch West Wing DVDs. :smileyhappy: Sleepless in Scotland was among the books I read. Now I'm looking forward to The Laird Who Loved Me.

Can you tell us something about what's next? Can we hope for a new contemporary soon as well as more historicals?

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Debbie, oh hon, do I EVER understand your kilt fetish. I'm right there with you. What's interesting about a kilt is that the best looking men look even better in a kilt, while the worst looking ones look worse. It's sort of a litmus test of male sexiness. What's not to love about that?

Thanks for checking in! I hate to blog alone. Gives me hives. :smileyhappy:

Karen

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Okie, thank you so much! I truly appreciate that. I had a terrific time writing The Laird Who Loved Me. It made me grin the entire time I was writing it, which is a good sign!

By the way, my next historical series will be about Caitlyn's and Catriona's sister and brothers - the Hursts, so you'll get continual peeks at how the MacLeans are faring. Not a huge amount, but some!

Karen

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Hi Becke! I hope you enjoy it. My parents had foster kids, so I grew up with a lot of children who were very afraid to trust. I used some of that in Sleepless in Scotland, and I think it rings true.

I hope you enjoy SIS!

Karen

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Melanie, what a huge compliment! Thank you so much.

I write my dialogue first because I hear it so clearly in my head. THEN I go back and thread in the setting, their movements, tag lines, etc. When I first write, it looks like this:

She blinked. "That's YOUR dog?"

"Yes."

"I wouldn't cheerfully admit that if I were you."

"Why not?"

"He only has one ear, he's flea-bitten, his tail is crooked, he drools, and he smells like rotten eggs."

He flashed a smug smile. "Yes, but he's MINE, and that covers a great multitude of sins."

I also try to cut anything extraneous so that the good part will really shine. In my last book, I had over 61 pages of extra material that I cut. I always say I'll use it in another book, but that rarely happens because it would have to be true to the new characters and you don't always get that.

Karen

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Hi Jane! Scotland is one of my favorite places, too! Gotta love a place where the man are so manly they can wear skirts and make them look good. I also love their sense of humor. I've only been there once, but the people were so nice and SO funny!

I'll have to try the Monica McCarty books. I hadn't heard of them before, but I'm always on the lookout for a good book and a new author!

Thanks!

Karen

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Janga,

I just finished a sequel to TALK OF THE TOWN which will be out in April and is called LOIS LANE TELLS ALL. If you've read TOTT, you'll remember Mark and Susan, who are the new hero and heroine. I had a LOT of fun with the Murder Mystery Club, too.

In a week, I'm going to start on the new series, which is about the Hursts, the sister and brothers of Caitlyn and Caitriona. The story centers around their search for a missing ancient family necklace/amulet. The search will encompass all four books and should take our heroine and heroes to a lot of interesting places!

I'm scheduled to write a book every six months, however, I may sneak in an extra book next year. I'd like to tell the beginning of the MacLean Curse ... which was placed on them by a White Witch named Maeve Hurst, one of the Hurst ancestors! As you can see, the MacLean Curse Series and the new Hurst Amulet Series will be very intertwined though the books will stand alone.

Whew! That was probably more than you wanted to know but it's big on my mind since I'm just now writing the synopsis for the first Hurst book.

Thank you so much for asking!

Karen

Contributor
okieb
0 Kudos

yay! i'm so excited that Caitlyn and Caitriona's sister and brother's will be getting their own stories.  i'm stoked that we will continue to see the MacLeans, even if its bits and pieces, i'll take anything :smileyvery-happy: in the mean time, i can't wait to for Hurst Amulet Series.

Okie
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Karen-thank you so much for visiting with us!

Do you keep a family tree of the MacLeans? How do you keep track of your family members?

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.