Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Re: August 13: Visit with Karen Hawkins

Okie, I'm glad you're looking forward to it! I am ... just waiting for an a-ok from my editor and I'll hit the ground running. I have some great scenes already in mind. :smileyhappy:

Eloisa, thanks for having me as a guest! To keep track of the families I write, I keep a family tree and TONS of charts. The family tree has been printed in the last three MacLean books, too, which is nice for the readers. 

Check out my newest book, Sleepless in Scotland
New User
TraceyDevlyn
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

I've been a fan of your books for years. Thank you for writing such memorable characters.

As a writer, I'm curious about the challenges you face when writing a series. Do you have a process to keep track of it all?

Best,

Tracey

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Hi Tracey!

I have two folders per family. The first is a Character Portfolio and I have a set of stapled papers per character that has a Physical Identity Sheet (description of character), and a Personality Traits Sheet which includes favorite exclamations, fears, life-shaping happenings, etc. The second folder is my Mention List which is a list of every mention made of that character in each book. For example, if  Dougal MacLean was in Gregor's book in the first chapter, Dougal's Mention List would read "To Scotland With Love" p. 2-15. This way, when I get ready to write Dougal, I could quickly go back and read all about him, his mannerisms, his attitudes, etc, and make sure he's consistent book to book.

For my contemporary, I have another folder -- this one for the town. It's as much a character as any person! 

It's a lot of work, but I just love family interactions and feel it adds some very distinctive layers to my work.

Tracey, this is probably as clear as mud, so feel free to email me if you have questions!

Karen 

Frequent Contributor
cheri2628
0 Kudos

Karen, it has been so interesting to read the questions and answers here.  Congrats on your latest book.  This has been a fabulous series.  I think my very favorite Alpha heroes are Scottish Highlanders. 

I must tell you, too, that your book covers are so fun, flirty, and gorgeous.  They really catch a person's eye when someone is browsing a bookshelf.  I love the way they convey the personality of the story.

Author
AuthorKarenHawkins
0 Kudos

Cheri, thank you so much!

I've been blessed by the cover gods with my highland historicals. The art department at Simon and Schuster have been great to work with. I toss them a title and a few ideas and they run with it -- and always to a higher level than I ever could have.

Did you notice that the cover of SLEEPLESS IN SCOTLAND and THE LAIRD WHO LOVE ME actually go together? If you scoot the two books side by side, you can see that she's pulled his kilt off . . . I loooove that tied-together look! 

Thanks again for visiting with me here at B & N. I've had SUCH a nice time! If you all have any more questions, feel free to email me at authorkarenhawkins@gmail.com!

All best,

Karen

New User
TraceyDevlyn
0 Kudos

Thank you, Karen!

I understood everything perfectly. It does sound like a lot of work, but well worth it in the end, I bet. I can't imagine the time you would lose searching for that information. I'm plotting out my first series, so your information was a big help.

Thanks bunches,

Tracey