Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

August Feature #1: ALL I EVER WANTED by Kristan Higgins

I just couldn't resist making Kristan Higgins' new book, All I Ever Wanted, a feature title for August. Kristan just won a RITA award for her previous book, The Next Best Thing, which was an absolute favorite of mine - I read it in one sitting, and anybody with two babies can tell you it's a miracle of a book that can withstand the wailing of infants and toddlers.

So, on to AIEW!

Here's the story description:

One Happily-Ever-After Rocking Chair…

and no sign of any forthcoming babies to rock in ol' Georgebury, Vermont. For Callie Grey, turning thirty means coming to grips with the fact that her boss (and five-week fling) is way overdue in his marriage proposal. And way off track because Mark has suddenly announced his engagement to the company's new Miss Perfect. If that isn't bad enough, her mom decides to throw her a three-oh birthday bash in the family funeral home.

Bad goes to worse when she stirs up a crazy relationship with the town's not so warm and fuzzy veterinarian, Ian McFarland, in order to flag Mark's attention. So Ian is more comfortable with animals…. So he's formal, orderly and just a bit tense. The ever-friendly, fun-loving and spontaneous Callie decides it's time for Ian to get a personality makeover. But dang, if he doesn't shock the heck out of her, she might actually fall for Vermont's unlikeliest eligible bachelor….

I'm looking forward to reading this along with you all, and to see how this rates among all of Kristan's books. I've heard from one very, very, very well-respected source that this is her best yet.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Re: August Feature #1: ALL I EVER WANTED by Kristan Higgins

The beginning of the description reminds me of the move The Holiday where she is in love with her boss but he is getting engaged to someone else. The second half of the description reminded me of Lori Wilde's The True Love Quilting Club with the main male character loving animals and being a vet.

This book sounds interesting and I've never read a Kirstan Higgins book but unfortunately due to commitments to several other book clubs this month I wont be able to read it this month. Maybe I'll pick it up at a later date. :smileyhappy:

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

This sounds really good. I haven't read any Kristan Higgins yet either, and I just went through and added a bunch of her stuff to my wish list, including this one!

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie - Good timing on my part - I finished this book last night ! I loved it and I have to admit it is the first time I have read her books.  I am somewhat familiar with that part of Vermont, I have family there so the setting really felt like home. But the characters...Wow they were wonderful !! Quirky, lovable, annoying, familiar but most of all, human. I think we all know people like that, even in our own families (though we may not want to admit it !). The story was really good and the way I can tell that is how many times I wake my husband up either laughing or crying (both during this book). I hope we get to find out more about this family (you know me and series - LOL).  Anyway - Can you tell how much I liked this book ???? All I can say to Kristan is, Keep up the good work !!

Anne

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Lexa, all I can say is that she's an author to make time for. Each book I've read of hers has been a treasure.

Anne, I'm so glad you love this book. I'm reading the Tessa Dares first, then this one, and I just can't wait. I, too, love her settings. I'm from Massachusetts so all the New England backdrops just kill me!

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

I'm going to have to read this book.  I read The Next Best Thing last year and liked it.  Also, I went to University in Boston and spent a LOT of time traveling all around New England - so I'm certain I'll also love the Vermont setting.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

Also, I have to say that I laughed out loud reading the description of the book.  I have to wonder if Kristan Higgins is a 'Grey;s Anatomy' fan.  If she isn't, then her character names and the inclusion of the vet to help Callie get over someone else are just really humorous and ironic.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I want that rocking chair!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Oh my aching TBR pile ;-)