New User
kjelinski
0 Kudos

Re: August Feature #2: ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS by Jeaniene Frost

I just want to let you know that I abolutely LOVE LOVE your books and look forward to my Fedex guy coming down the street with my pre-order deliveries.  I think the spin-off books are a great way to keep us quiet while we await the next Cat & Bones adventure.  I look forward to hear about Annette (I heart her), VLAD (of course) and Ian (can't wait till some lucky girl tames him)!!! 

Where do you get your inspiration??  You have the best imagination!!

Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Hi Sue. Someone who wants to know more about Justina! You’re a woman after my own heart! Lol. Seriously, though, I’d love to write a short story (or two) on Justina. There’s so much about her that Cat doesn’t know, and because the Night Huntress books are told through Cat’s point of view, the reader doesn’t get to know these things, either. Justina is a flawed character and some readers just love to hate her - which is fine - but hate her or not, there’s more to Justina than meets the eye. One day I hope I have the time to give readers that extra peek into her. I think it would surprise a lot of them.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Jeaniene, your answers to all these questions are just great! Thank you so much for taking all this time!

I have a silly question for you: do you have a favorite hero that you've written?

Reader 2
KBrock
0 Kudos

Hello Jeaniene!

I absolutely adore your books. I gave a little squee when I saw that you had already finished the first few chapters of Cat & Bones #6. :-)

EKOD was a fantastic read! I really liked Kira and her spunkiness with Mencheres. Also, Vlad was a fantastic side character and friend. In EKOD, Vlad mentions that Mencheres was very good to him when he lost his wife and son. I think this is the first we have heard about Vlad's son. Will we learn more about him?

Also, in DFAEG we learn more of Marie the ghoul. Marie is the Voodoo Queen, but would doing voodoo be considered using the dark arts? If so, am I to assume that all ghouls are permitted to use the dark arts as well?

I am soooo excited about the next Cat & Bones books coming out. Thanks for taking the time today to answer our questions.

Contributor
ShaunaG
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Jeaniene, I'm sorry I didnt see all those posts on your site, silly of me really. But it was very sweet of you to answer it even though you've given such a thorough answer there.

I also wanted to comment on how much I too love your spin offs, my fave was Spade out of the two and I too have my fingers crossed you'll get to do Vlad, I love the twist you've put on him. Reminds me of C. Harris' twist on Elvis, both made me smile.

So glad you didnt give up - you've given me a little bit more hope on my own journey.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Jeaniene - I'm really enjoying reading all the posts - You and Melanie have already answered the questions that I had - about reading the books out of order, or stand alone ('cause I'm the serious series gal !!) I'm looking forward to reading this book as well as all the others - they sounds terrific! Thanks...

Anne

Author
Jeaniene_Frost

Kjelinski, so glad you like the books! I get inspiration from everywhere. It could be a painting, a walk in the park, a poem, an overheard conversation, a news headline, a time/place/person in history…the list is literally endless :smileyhappy:.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Melanie, I'm so fickle. My favorite hero is whoever I'm writing at the time. Call me a shameless cheater, lol.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

KBrock, you’ll hear a lot more about Vlad if I get my chance to write books about him! :smileytongue:. As for Marie, voodoo isn’t so much magic as a religion, so by practicing it Marie is simply following her religion (and there’s no restriction against different religions in my series). Also, there’s no restriction against inherent natural abilities. Gregor never got in trouble for Dreamsnatching, for example, because that was just an extension of his power. What vampires are forbidden from in my books is casting SPELLS, commonly referred to as dark arts or black magic. Patra and Mencheres both did that in Destined for an Early Grave, so they both broke the law. But if it’s not a spell, then it’s not illegal.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, Anne! Hope you like them if you decide to try them out.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Reader 2
KatVickers
0 Kudos

When reading for pleasure ... What do you choose to read? Do you read in your own genera (if I spelled that correctly)?

New User
DaniNB
0 Kudos

Hi Jeaniene, I have to say that I LOVE your books and I tell as many people possible about them.

I was sad to miss you in Denver, but I was travelling in Australia at the time.

I wanted to ask and see if you could give anything away about TSOTG? (Which I am going to say is a bday present because it comes out at the same time (25th))

Is there anything we as readers/fans can do to help get Vlad a book?  (or more)

New User
Nefertari
0 Kudos

Here i am again ! Thank you for what you said and if you ever have trouble again with french, i'll be very happy to help !

And yesssss, for Vlad, i'm going to cross my fingers for you, but also for myself because i so want it to happen.

I agree with DaniNB, want to help, is there a way for us to do pressure on your editor ?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hi Ms. Frost, I love your books.

No questions just a tinny requesy MORE SPADE! Please.:smileyvery-happy:

Author
Jeaniene_Frost

KatVickers wrote:

When reading for pleasure ... What do you choose to read? Do you read in your own genera (if I spelled that correctly)?

Kat, I do read in my genre. I've loved all things paranormal since I was a child, so I wouldn't alter my favorite reading genre just because I now write in it :smileyhappy:.

As for what I choose to read, wow, lots. I have a list of favorite authors on my website, broken down by genre, if you want to check it out: http://jeanienefrost.com/links/ 

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DaniNB wrote:

Hi Jeaniene, I have to say that I LOVE your books and I tell as many people possible about them.

I was sad to miss you in Denver, but I was travelling in Australia at the time.

I wanted to ask and see if you could give anything away about TSOTG? (Which I am going to say is a bday present because it comes out at the same time (25th))

Is there anything we as readers/fans can do to help get Vlad a book?  (or more)

Hi Dani, sorry to have missed you in Denver but wow, Australia? Nice!

Any clues about THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE. Well, the first chapter is at the back of ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS, so readers get a little early peek there. Can't say much more about the plot. I can say some of the characters that are in it, aside from Cat and Bones: Vlad, Mencheres, Kira, Marie, Tate, Don, Spade, Denise, and Justina, plus of course you'll meet some new characters.

As for what readers can do to help, any time a reader recommends my books, that's a huge help :smileyhappy:. Word of mouth is an awesome thing. I know I've found a lot of authors that way.

Thanks!

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Hi Ms. Frost, I love your books.

No questions just a tinny requesy MORE SPADE! Please.:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks! I really enjoyed showcasing Spade in First Drop Drop of Crimson. He's back again a little in This Side of the Grave, so you'll get to see him soon.

www.jeanienefrost.com
New User
DaniNB
0 Kudos

Thank you so much!  I'm glad to hear that Tate will be making an appearance in This Side of the Grave, he generally makes things interesting.

I remember reading that Eternal Kiss of Darkness is getting another round printing (3rd or 4th?), if I remember correclty.  How many books are in a printing? 

It is an amazing book, and I'm glad that I understand Mencheres now as he was never a favorite character of mine...but glad to know there was a reason for everything!

Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

DaniNB wrote:

Thank you so much!  I'm glad to hear that Tate will be making an appearance in This Side of the Grave, he generally makes things interesting.

I remember reading that Eternal Kiss of Darkness is getting another round printing (3rd or 4th?), if I remember correclty.  How many books are in a printing? 

It is an amazing book, and I'm glad that I understand Mencheres now as he was never a favorite character of mine...but glad to know there was a reason for everything!

Eternal Kiss of Darkness went into a third printing last week. Pretty awesome considering it was out for less than a month at the time. As far as how many books are in a printing, that varies from book to book and author to author. An initial print run is generally the number of books that a publisher expects to sell within the first year, so that will usually be a good-sized number. Then reprints are the additional copies a publisher prints when stores or distributors realize that the demand for a book was greater than their supply. Always a good thing for an author! :smileyhappy:. Reprints also vary from book to book/author to author, but generally they are a few thousand to several thousand per reprint (again depending on the book/author).

www.jeanienefrost.com