Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

August Feature #2: ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS by Jeaniene Frost

[ Edited ]
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: August Feature #2: ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS by Jeaniene Frost

This is the second book in Jeaniene's spin-off series from her successful Night-Huntress books. She's a new-to-me author and I can't wait to dive in!

I'll be reading the first book of this twosome, too.

First Drop of Crimson

And here's the story description for

Eternal Kiss of Darkness  :

An immortal war has been brewing in the darkness . . .

And now one woman has stumbled into the shadows.

Chicago private investigator Kira Graceling should have just kept on walking. But her sense of duty refused to let her ignore the moans of pain coming from inside a warehouse just before dawn. Suddenly she finds herself in a world she's only imagined in her worst nightmares.

At the center is Mencheres, a breathtaking Master vampire who thought he'd seen it all. Then Kira appears—this fearless, beautiful . . . human who braved death to rescue him. Though he burns for her, keeping Kira in his world means risking her life. Yet sending her away is unthinkable.

But with danger closing in, Mencheres must choose either the woman he craves, or embracing the darkest magic to defeat an enemy bent on his eternal destruction.

Visit Jeaniene's website for more info about her!

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

Oh, these sound really good.  I'd start with the first one, too.  If I know something is a part of a series, I like to start at the beginning.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Great news! Jeaniene will be here next Tuesday, August 31, to chat with us! What a great way to say goodbye to the summer and hello to the season of autumn books, heh?

Has anyone read EKoD or the first book in the series,

First Drop of Crimson? I started this book this weekend, and I was instantaneosly hooked. Talk about a gripping beginning! I should've heeded the posters who warned me to start with Jeaniene's previous series, but I'm going to go back and read everything.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I've read all of her first series, and the first one of this series.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I am so thrilled to welcome Jeaniene to RR. She is the author of the two amazing books featured in this thread, plus the great Night Huntress series starring the half-vampire Cat and her vamp lover Bones.

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress Series #1)  

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress Series #2) 

At Grave's End (Night Huntress Series #3)  

Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress Series #4)

Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

HI Melanie! Thanks so much for having me today. As you mentioned, ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS is book two in the Night Huntress World series, but since it's a stand alone, readers wouldn't need to be caught up on any of my other books before picking it up. I had a lot of fun writing it. My hero, Mencheres, is a very powerful vampire with a history that goes all the way back to the pyramids. My heroine, Kira, is a very much a modern woman, but despite those contrasts, they really clicked together as a couple. Readers don't have to just take my word for that, however. The first 20% of ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS is available for free reading from my publisher here: http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061783166

Again, glad to be here, and I'm happy to chat about any of my books, vampires in general, or whatever else someone wants to throw at me :smileyhappy:

www.jeanienefrost.com
Contributor
ShaunaG
0 Kudos

Hello Jeaniene! I'm a big fan; I found you through Vicki Pettersson's recommendations and I'm so happy I did.

I have a non-book question, more an aspiring author question. Did you take the agent route to get published in the beginning? If so how did you get your agent, was it in person or query? and how hard was that, to get the first book picked up by a publisher?

Okay so that was more than one question :smileyhappy:

Thanks so much!

Shauna

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Well, Jeaniene, I have to say that I was instantly hooked into your world after the first chapter of

First Drop of Crimson. I spoke of this in another thread, but I thought you did a great, great job of making these books enjoyable as stand-alones while still dropping enough nuggets about the backstory to appease readers familiar with the previous books and to whet the appetites of those who haven't read them. Count me as one who was so curious about the allusions to Cat and Bones' history that I ordered all the books!

What made you want to start writing about the vamps in Bones' circle?

New User
Nefertari
0 Kudos

Hi Jeaniene, i read all your books, short story and novella and love them all. I have a preference for Cat and Bones but Eternal Kiss of Darkness was very good and like you can see by my name, i love ancient Egypt, so yay Mencheres...

I know that you would like to write some books about Vlad and maybe Ian. My question may be redundant, but do you have any idea when we can expext to know more about that ? I can't wait for that !

You are an amazing writer and you deserve your success. Continue the good work and take care of yourself and please, forgive my poor english, my first language is french.

New User
VampKrazi
0 Kudos

Hi Jeaniene, I don't really have a question just wanted to pop in and say hi and let you know that I apsolutely love your books. Bones is one of my favorite vamps out there whenever there is a new book available my world goes on hold till I've read the last drop:smileywink:

Looking forward to reading more in the future!!

New User
Ollieblu
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Jeaniene, I hope your having a good day so far, but I was wondering why if Radjef was such a big part of Mencheres' life did he now show up in EKOD?

On a side note, I LOVE everything you write and just turned a co-worker on to your works.  You have a way with your stories that I feel the emotions you convey.

Blogger
Maria_Lokken
0 Kudos

{{{{Jeaniene in the house}}}}}  How exciting!  I'm a big fan and I'm anxioulsy waiting to read the next book in your series.

I love the worlds you create.  Was there anything in particular that sparked the way you created your mythology?

Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Hi Shauna! Isn’t Vicki Pettersson the best? When I grow up, I want to write like her :smileytongue:.

Re-getting published and agents. I did go the agent route first. When I was querying Halfway to the Grave back in 2004, the digit market was almost non-existent and most larger publishers required representation before they would read a manuscript. So I didn’t have many other options at the time except to get an agent, if I wanted to publish with a mainstream house.

An agent being a necessity to get published has changed with the digital revolution, but if I were trying to sell a first book now, I’d still go the agent route. There’s so, so, SO much about publishing that you don’t know when you first start out (and most of it you don’t even realize you don’t know) that not having an agent negotiate a contract can cost you big later, either in royalty money, subrights, or having additional contract restrictions that other agented authors don’t have.

I talked a little more about why I think an agent is still a big advantage, as well as other publishing questions, on my website here: http://jeanienefrost.com/category/writing-resources/

Hope it’s helpful!

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Nefertari, your English is great! My French, however, is terrible. My poor French translator had to redo every instance where Gregor and Cannelle spoke in their native tongue in Destined For an Early Grave.

Re-more spinoff books. I’ve been very vocal about wanting to do a book (or two, or more) on Vlad. Ian I’d like to write about one day but he’s nowhere near ready to settle down yet. As for when I’ll be able to announce more details about spinoffs, contractually, I had to turn in revisions and copyedits on THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE plus initial chapters on C&B6 before I could submit new proposals to my publisher. I’ve completed all my contractual requirements as of *checks clock* two hours ago, so I’ll be sending them my ideas for a Vlad book asap. Cross your fingers for me!

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

VampKrazi, thanks so much! Glad you’re enjoying the books. I’m always thrilled when readers “connect” with my characters.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Melanie, you don’t even know how much I appreciate your comments about “just enough backstory” right now. I’m writing the beginning of Cat and Bones #6 and it is slow going like always. I struggle with beginnings more than any other part of a book, and the main reason is trying to decide which information is absolutely necessary for new readers not to feel lost while at the same time, not boring existing readers of my series with too much stuff they already know.

As for writing spinoffs, I knew even before my first Night Huntress novel was published that I wanted to write books on some of the side characters in the series. I rather surprised my editor with this information when she called to give me an overview of my revisions on Halfway to the Grave and I began telling her about how I wanted to write a Spade book – with a heroine that wasn’t even in the first book. Certain characters come through just as vividly for me as Cat and Bones, and when they do, I want to dig deeper into them by writing their stories. That’s the motivation behind expanding the Night Huntress universe with side character books. In a way, it’s purely selfish on my part :smileyvery-happy:.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Contributor
1Luv2READ2
0 Kudos

First - I Love LOVE your books.  Bones and Cat being my favorite.  Just finished reading Death's Excellent Vacation and had a question ... Do you see any books for Cat's mom Justina (going by memory for the spelling of her name) in your spin off series?  She is such tough cookie - but it would be so nice for her to finally get a HEA. (expecially since what happened to Rodney)

Sue

Author
Jeaniene_Frost
0 Kudos

Hi Ollieblu,

Radjedef didn’t show up in the Cat and Bones books before because readers didn’t get to see a lot of Mencheres in those books. He was a side character in books 2 – 4, but most of Mencheres’s personality and daily life happened off page. You’re right, Radje was a big part of Mencheres’s life, but not Cat or Bones’s, so that’s why readers didn’t get a chance to meet him until Mencheres got his own novel.  

And thank so much for your comments about the books as well as recommending them to your coworker! Hope she likes them.

www.jeanienefrost.com
Author
Jeaniene_Frost

Hi Maria! Glad you stopped by. Mythology, hmm. Well, I’ve loved vampires since I was a child, so it was no surprise to my friends or family that the first book I wrote had vampires in it. As for creating the lore behind vampires in my books, that’s easy – it’s based on everything I loved about vampire mythology, with none of the things that annoyed me. Writing a supernatural novel allows for more freedom than writing about things set in the “normal” world, in my opinion. If I wrote a contemporary novel and said my hero could fly, readers would rightly call bullsh**. But make that hero a creature who’s outside reality, and the sky’s the limit as far as what attributes and abilities you give him (or her, for heroines).

Of course, every rose has its thorn. While I adore the freedom to come up with whatever rules I want in my supernatural world, once I’ve laid down those rules, I’m held to them. Nothing gets a reader angrier – and rightfully so - than an author going back on a supernatural rule they’ve previous established. I’ve backed myself into a corner with this a few times, but it only means that I have to be more creative in coming up with ways my characters might bend worldbuilding rules without breaking them.

www.jeanienefrost.com