Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

BEST ROMANCES OF THE YEAR!

Okay, folks, let's start posting our faves of the year!

My hands-down, number one best book of the year was:

The Forbidden Rose 

I'll post my other top reads over the course of the last weeks of 2010!

What's your favorite?

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Re: BEST ROMANCES OF THE YEAR!

Melanie_Murray wrote:

The Forbidden Rose 

What's your favorite?

Hi Melanie - I agree and so does Publisher's Weekly - They ranked it #1 Romance  - in their top books of 2010 - Don't we have good taste !!! LOL

Anne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

The Forbidden Rose 

What's your favorite?

Hi Melanie - I agree and so does Publisher's Weekly - They ranked it #1 Romance  - in their top books of 2010 - Don't we have good taste !!! LOL

Anne

While I read a lot of great books this year, I'm going to add my vote for THE FORBIDDEN ROSE. It's an amazing book!

Frequent Contributor
njoireading
0 Kudos

I agree that The Forbidden Rose is the best but I do need to mention Last Night's Scandal as a close second.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

I never read this one, I feel left out. I guess I will have to get a copy soon then.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

I have this book, it's in my TBR pile. I guess I need to read this one next based on everyones reviews!

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'm kind of surprised that there's such uniform agreement on the best book. That never happens!

Here's PW's complete romance list. I was going to add the Eileen Dreyer to this thread, too! I didn't read the Meljean Brook but now have to, and I recommended The Heir two weeks ago. There's a Q&A with the author Grace Burrowes for those interested. It's floated at the top of this board.

The Forbidden Rose
Joanna Bourne (Berkley Sensation)
In mid-revolution France, a noblewoman and a spy are torn between wartime practicality and headstrong passion. The gripping espionage story and wry voiceovers from the heroine will win hearts.

The Iron Duke
Meljean Brook (Berkley)
Brook's fabulous steampunk tale has an iron-boned war hero and a half-Asian detective inspector matching wits and wills on airships and battleships and in smoke-choked London as England recovers from 200 years of Mongol rule.

The Heir
Grace Burrowes (Sourcebooks Casablanca)
Burrowes pulls off an improbable Regency affair between a spoiled ducal heir and a housekeeper with a secret.

Barely a Lady
Eileen Dreyer (Grand Central/Forever)
The wartime amnesia romance is as old as the hills, but RWA Hall of Famer Dreyer (aka Kathleen Korbel) makes this one work.

Trial by Desire
Courtney Milan (HQN)
Modern readers will be as intrigued by the Victorian-era political issues as they are by the central story of a man trying to reconnect with the wife he abandoned

New User
justiceAR
0 Kudos

Hi, so why was this a favorite. Can you give your review of this book?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

justiceAR wrote:

Hi, so why was this a favorite. Can you give your review of this book?

It was just a beautifully written story, and had an epic quality about it. The setting, the characters, the romance - all of it was just really well told.

Here's Marisa's review of the book. This will help sell it to you I think!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Heart-to-Heart-The-BN-Romance/Buy-it-Now/ba-p/531264

New User
justiceAR
0 Kudos

This was the best romance of the year for me, written by Rochelle Alers. This book was intoxicating, and full of Powerful women, an insite to the lifestyle of the rich and not so rich.

It gave a view of how far people will go to get what they want.

Please let me know what you thought of this book

Pleasure Seekers  

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

PW books- ive wanted to read all of them, except the iron duke.

ps. i remember when forbidden rose came out- everyone on the boards was gushing on it!

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Sometimes I think those lists are a little off. most of those books are things that more recently came out in the second half of the year. It usually disregards things that came before the summer. I do want to read most of the books on the list though.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

I loved Eileen Dryers Barely A Lady. I can't wait till the next one in that series comes out!

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I'm kind of surprised that there's such uniform agreement on the best book. That never happens!

Here's PW's complete romance list. I was going to add the Eileen Dreyer to this thread, too! I didn't read the Meljean Brook but now have to, and I recommended The Heir two weeks ago. There's a Q&A with the author Grace Burrowes for those interested. It's floated at the top of this board.

The Forbidden Rose
Joanna Bourne (Berkley Sensation)
In mid-revolution France, a noblewoman and a spy are torn between wartime practicality and headstrong passion. The gripping espionage story and wry voiceovers from the heroine will win hearts.

The Iron Duke
Meljean Brook (Berkley)
Brook's fabulous steampunk tale has an iron-boned war hero and a half-Asian detective inspector matching wits and wills on airships and battleships and in smoke-choked London as England recovers from 200 years of Mongol rule.

The Heir
Grace Burrowes (Sourcebooks Casablanca)
Burrowes pulls off an improbable Regency affair between a spoiled ducal heir and a housekeeper with a secret.

Barely a Lady
Eileen Dreyer (Grand Central/Forever)
The wartime amnesia romance is as old as the hills, but RWA Hall of Famer Dreyer (aka Kathleen Korbel) makes this one work.

Trial by Desire
Courtney Milan (HQN)
Modern readers will be as intrigued by the Victorian-era political issues as they are by the central story of a man trying to reconnect with the wife he abandoned

I haven't read all of these, but I'll also second Trial by Desire and The Iron Duke as two of the most memorable books I read this year. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, too!

Frequent Contributor
T-TW
0 Kudos

Can I choose a series? If so I vote for The Highland Guard Series by Monica McCarty! #1 The Chief and # 2 The Hawk. My second choice would be the Dark Sword Series by Donna Grant #2 Forbidden Warrior and #3 Wicked Highlander. Oh gosh, I forgot the Black Cobra Series by Stephanie Laurens!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

T-TW wrote:

Can I choose a series? If so I vote for The Highland Guard Series by Monica McCarty! #1 The Chief and # 2 The Hawk. My second choice would be the Dark Sword Series by Donna Grant #2 Forbidden Warrior and #3 Wicked Highlander. Oh gosh, I forgot the Black Cobra Series by Stephanie Laurens!

You sure can! Good choices all!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

you know picking "bests" is against my religion but here goes\

Rescuing Olivia 

Drawing in the Dust 

The Search 

Fortunate Harbor 

The Ocean Between Us 

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #8) 

Rebel 

Unforgivable 

I'm sure I've missed some but these are my picks

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #8)  

Ten Things I Love about You (Bevelstoke Series #3)  

Married by Morning (Hathaway Series) married by morning would be my top pick for 2010.  i absolutely loved it, and have prolly already reread it 3 or four times. 

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
Romance_Reader24
0 Kudos

I have never heard of the book everyone has voted for #1, but I stay far away from historical romance, so that must explain it...

I read all genres, but for romance my top 3 would be:

Happy Ever After (Nora Roberts' Bride Quartet Series #4) 

Maybe This Time  

An Unexpected Obsession  

I Love to Read!!!
Reader 2
Voracious_Reader81
0 Kudos

The one title (or titles I should say) that sticks out for me would be Stephanie Laurens' Black Cobra Quartet. Although I've read some of her other books, this series is really gripping.

Also I really liked Sarah MacLean's Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake....

(Forbidden Rose is in my TBR list though... maybe it will get bumped up)