Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Bri-dep
0 Kudos

Book suggestions for 20-somethings...

Hi everyone!

I like to read books in which the main character(s) are in my age range - in their 20s and in college, etc.
I found that most books in the YA section are about middle or high school students (don't get me wrong - they can be great, the Twilight Saga is my all time favorite). And in the adult romance/fantasy section, the characters are usually in their 30s or older.
All the books I find seem to skip right over my age range!

Any suggestions of books for a 20-something year old?

Thanks!
*~*~*~*~*~*
bri
"If you've read a thousand different novels, you've lived a thousand different lives."
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Book suggestions for 20-somethings...

I would guess that chick lit would be your thing. Most of those heroines are in their twenties. But there are romances, too, where the heroines are young.
Frequent Contributor
read2teach
0 Kudos

Bri,

I would suggest Meg Cabot.  Her series starting with size 12 is not fat, is about a character who is in her 20s( I think).  I have not yet read the books, but my sister who is also in her twenties loves them.  I hope this helps, I will try to think of some others.  I know I have read some too.

~Catherine
New User
OnTheBeach
0 Kudos

Hi Bri-dep,

I just finished a book titled First Love by Adrienne Sharp. I found it on the "bargain shelf" at Barnes and Nobles, and happened to pick it up and read the insert. Sounded good, but turned out GREAT. I loved it! Read it in less than a week (which is quick because I have little free time to actually read). I too am in my twenties and prefer to read stories with characters in my age range. This book had just that. It was a love story with lots of other things happening in the plot as well. I definitely recommend it. Plus, if you find it on the bargain shelf like me it should be about $6, which is another bonus.

Happy reading,
   OnTheBeach
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Hi Bri-dep,

Have you ever tried a historical?  I have a lot of readers your age who initially thought they sounded boring, but then got hooked (think Jane Austen without the difficult language).  Pretty much all the the heroines in historicals are in their early 20s, simply because of the way that love and marriage worked back then. 

Another suggestion:  Annette Blair's books (contemporaries).  She's visiting the BB in a few days (look under February visits).  I wrote about her books in the review column this month--called Out of the Broom Closet:

What I think you'd like is that all three sisters are still in college.  They're snappy and full of incredibly funny one-liners. 

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Frequent Contributor
Bri-dep
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I've added all the books to my list!
*~*~*~*~*~*
bri
"If you've read a thousand different novels, you've lived a thousand different lives."
Contributor
Wicket
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:Bri,

If you like humor, a little mystery and a bit of romance, try Kathleen Bacus's "Calamity Jayne" series. The heroine is in her early 20's and just does a little bit of everything ..... I laugh out loud every time I read one of the series (there are 5 so far) .....
Enjoy
Frequent Contributor
jason_t
0 Kudos

Being a 20-something myself, I can say that one of the reasons I liked the Anita Blake series (though not necessarily romance I suppose, but it has quit a bit anyway) is because of the fact that in the beginning she is something like 23 or 24. Which is cool to have someone our age doing some ass kicking.
----------------------------------------------------------
There are people who love you, Faith. Or who one day will. Even if you can't see them beside you, right here, right now, they're out there. But if you let the dark get into your eyes, you might never find them. So it's best to keep a little light with you, along the way.
-Harry Dresden
Frequent Contributor
Bri-dep
0 Kudos

Wicket wrote:
:smileyvery-happy:Bri,

If you like humor, a little mystery and a bit of romance, try Kathleen Bacus's "Calamity Jayne" series. The heroine is in her early 20's and just does a little bit of everything ..... I laugh out loud every time I read one of the series (there are 5 so far) .....
Enjoy

I definitely like humor, mystery and romance . I'm going to have to add that to my list! Thanks !
*~*~*~*~*~*
bri
Frequent Contributor
Bri-dep
0 Kudos

jason_t wrote:
Being a 20-something myself, I can say that one of the reasons I liked the Anita Blake series (though not necessarily romance I suppose, but it has quit a bit anyway) is because of the fact that in the beginning she is something like 23 or 24. Which is cool to have someone our age doing some ass kicking.

Hmm, that sounds very familiar - I may have picked up one of those books before ... I have a horrible memory though and sometimes I remember things that never happened, lol!
*~*~*~*~*~*
bri
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Well, I suggest picking them up again! They are worth it.

Bri-dep wrote:

jason_t wrote:

Hmm, that sounds very familiar - I may have picked up one of those books before ... I have a horrible memory though and sometimes I remember things that never happened, lol!

New User
Brinkley
0 Kudos

I would suggest Paradise by Judith McNaught.  This book was a favorite among the girls in the office and one woman even missed her New Year's Eve party to finish the book!
Yue
Frequent Contributor
Yue
0 Kudos

If you want something in that range you should read "The Devil Who Tamed Her" by Johanna Lindsey. It something of a 16th century setting so it may suit you taste. (Yes! I love the Twilight Series as well!)
"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way." ~Leo Tolstoy