Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GrkDina31
0 Kudos

Books about lost loves/2nd chances...

Hi Everyone!! Im Dina and I'm new to this whole message boards thing, but I love to read romance and I'm looking for suggestions on stories about lost loves/2nd chances... Something like " the notebook" any good recommendations?!?! Let me know!! Happy reading :smileyhappy:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Books about lost loves/2nd chances...

GrkDina31 wrote:

Hi Everyone!! Im Dina and I'm new to this whole message boards thing, but I love to read romance and I'm looking for suggestions on stories about lost loves/2nd chances... Something like " the notebook" any good recommendations?!?! Let me know!! Happy reading :smileyhappy:

Welcome Dina! You are going to get loads of suggestions here!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Dina, and welcome to our growing family.

I have to admit that I get mad at Nicolas Sparks a lot, but I did love the sort of sequel to The Notebook, The Wedding. Have you read that?

Wedding 

But if you like his books and love to cry your eyes out at the end you might try Luanne Rice, her novel Cloud Nine and be prepared to use a box of tissues.

Cloud Nine 

Another author who tends to remind me of Sparks writing style is Kristin Hannah, although she usually ends her novels on more of an upbeat.

I also reviewed this one on my blog here: http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com

Winter Garden 

Also I have to say that the best romance of the decade I read in 2008, by Susan Wiggs called Just Breathe it was amazing.

Actually read anything by her, she's a gifted storyteller

Just Breathe 

Welcome again and Happy Reading

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Dina, nice to meet you! Debbie, I've read a couple of Susan Wiggs books but not the one you're in love with. Have you reviewed it anywhere? Can you post a link?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Dina, nice to meet you! Debbie, I've read a couple of Susan Wiggs books but not the one you're in love with. Have you reviewed it anywhere? Can you post a link?

Hey Becke, unfortunately I did not review that one. But let me give you a synopsis: Now we first meet this couple while they're staying in the Inn in Avalon in one of Susan's Lakesshore novels, the husband has just beat testicular cancer. They want to start a family so the wife comes home early to surprise the "JERK" and yes you can guess what he's doing, thinking with his little head, as usual. Well the story really starts here after she leaves him and really goes looking for and finds herself.

It's well worth the read Becke

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This book is also a "finding herself" book, and I loved it. Melanie will go nuts because I'm always recommending it! I'll go order the Susan Wiggs book now.

Finding Mary Blaine

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I don't know if you want to stick primarily to contemporaries, but if you're game to try a paranormal historical then

Treasure Keeper  by Shana Abe is a good read. The hero always loved the heroine when they were kids, and the great twist is that the hero was the royal-born one, the heroine was a commoner. (In their dragon hierarchy...)

Here are two other "lost loves" reads. These are straight-up contemporary romances:

What I Did for Love

Not Another Bad Date

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I can't throw stones, Becke. I think people are probably tired of me pushing Lisa Kleypas on them.

becke_davis wrote:

This book is also a "finding herself" book, and I loved it. Melanie will go nuts because I'm always recommending it! I'll go order the Susan Wiggs book now.

Finding Mary Blaine

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love her books, too. I'm always recommending Kristan Higgins, Lisa Dale, Victoria Dahl, Sherry Thomas, Virginia Kantra -- too many to list.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Loves Me, Loves Me Knot 

this is part of a 3 book series. its really good

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I love this thread because I've read dozens of these kinds of books but of course I can't remember them all off the top of my head. It's nice to see all the suggestions coming in!