Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Can you read 2 (or more) books at once ?

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - I have noticed that many of you read more that one book at a time. How do you do it? I sometimes have a hard time getting into a book, and put it down for a while, but I just can't do more than one at a time....What about you????

Anne

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Re: Can you read 2 (or more) books at once ?

no, i cant read more than one book...i have to read one book at a time until i finish it...on my B&N acount i have that im reading 8 books? ive gotten in the habit of putting that sign on books i get from th elibrary and havent rad yet to keep my lists straight, but i cant read multiple books at once

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

Likewise, I can only read one book at a time. I've tried it with multiple books that I really wanted to read, and it just doesn't work for me. I get confused.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I can, and I have to to keep up with everything! But it is hard for me to read two of the same genre at once, that I'll say. So now, for instance, I'm reading the following:

The Goddess of Fried Okra 

Arabella  

Descartes' Bones  

I usually have a couple of romances going and one non-romance, usually nonfiction of some kind.

My problem is finding time to read, and finding time to finish books! I have SO many books that I started and never finished. I have an entire "TBF" pile next to my "TBR."

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray, I read more than two. I am usually reading five or more at once.  I usually read to the end of a chapter then go to the next book.

This way I don't get bored.

I also do this when I get a new library book that I know the other people are waiting for. I also read the inter-library loans I get first because they need to be back by a certain time.

I also have some of my own started then I get library books. So this is normal for me to have this many books going at once.

My friends wonder how I do this. Do me this is normal for me.

ReadingPatti

1AnneB
0 Kudos

Wow ! Melanie, you are a goddess !! All that and little ones too - I'm really impressed. Patti -  5 at once ! you must be the champ ! I'm afraid, that my mind can only process one at a time, but I am forever envious of you (and anyone else who can do that).  You Go Girls !!!!!

Anne

PS I tried to post this earlier, but the website was acting hinky - everything seems OK now...

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Anne, don't be too impressed. It takes me a long time to get through a book.

Contributor
katbella
0 Kudos

I usuallay have at least 2 going once. I will mix my genres this help ease any confusion I may have.

Kat

Blogger
Marisa-ONeill
0 Kudos

I usually have 2 or 3 books going at the same time. I'm a slow reader and to keep up with my TBR pile I have to start a second or third book before I've finished the first one.  I usually carry 3 books with me at all times (I have a big purse) and I'll pull out a book when ever I have to wait for anything - that includes bank lines, supermarket lines, waiting for the bus or subway or even waiting for my very old, very slow computer to download a web page. So depending on what kind of mood I'm in - with 3 books available I can have my pick.

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

I have so much free time on my hands now, that there really isn't any point for me to read more then one book at a time. I guess that's a good thing, because I really only like to read one book at a time. As i've said before, I tend to lose focus or get confused if I try multiples. I can understand anyone who reads multiples with having a very active lifestyle, especially having kids and working full time. It's got to be hard to find time to read at all, especially having an ever growing TBR pile. I'm sure once we start having kids once back in the states I'll have to start reading more then one to keep up!

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

1AnneB, I just do it. I don't understand myself how I do. I just do. Most of my friends wonder how I do it too. I just tell them that I read to the end of a chapter then change books.

I am finally getting the library books down. I have four to read from my library and some from our other library we have here around Somerset.

I admit that I am a book addict so I guess that is why I read some many at a time.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
JalMor77
0 Kudos

I generally read about two at a time, however, they can't be the same format. So, I'm always reading, one e-book and one physical book.  Odd, I know, but yeah, sometimes confusion has got the best of me.  Or sometimes, I'll be thinking I want to go back and reread a book and I can't remember either a) the book, b) the author, or c) which format I read it in. 

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh. - Agnes Repplier
0 Kudos

I normally have two books that I'm reading. I also normally read different things since it helps me keep the story lines straight. I usually read one YA book and one romance book. This way I can keep up with all the new books in both categories. Although I would have to say I fail at keeping up since I have a tbr pile of around 75 books.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Great question Anne, I don't like to read more than one book at a time and usually it's not necessary because of the amounts of books I manage to put away (about 3-5/week) depending on size and intensity. But the one exception is when I'm also reading a book for First Look or one of the clubs where we're dissecting a book week by week. 

I think it would make me mesh together the stories and characters if I read more than one at a time

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I prefer not to, but sometimes I do this out of necessity. I'll start a book -- probably a romance -- and then have to set it aside to read a garden book I'll be blogging about, or to read some mysteries by authors I'm thinking of inviting. Then I'll go back and finish the romance. I like to read all kinds of books -- mystery, romance and garden books, in particular, but now some of those reads are work-related, which changes the whole dynamic. It doesn't change my feelings about any of the books, but it can affect my priorities about what to read next.

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

I have a couple of books in different parts of the house for moments when I actually HAVE a moment to read. It takes me months to get through some books, but I always remember where I am in the story.

Now don't ask me to do that when I'm WRITING books. I have the worst memory with what my characters have done, and I always have to go back and read before I can continue writing.

:smileyvery-happy:

Monica

Monica Burns | http://www.monicaburns.com
Pleasure Me - 03/11 - Berkley Sensation
Assassin's Heart - 09/10 - Berkley Sensation

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's always a tug-o'-war between reading and writing.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'll get a lot more reading done when my little one is big enough to hold her own bottle. With my first daughter I was great at bottle-feeding with one hand and holding a paperback with the other, but this time I can't seem to master it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I'll get a lot more reading done when my little one is big enough to hold her own bottle. With my first daughter I was great at bottle-feeding with one hand and holding a paperback with the other, but this time I can't seem to master it.

Hmm, sounds like a Nook might come in handy there Melanie

Blogger
Maria_Lokken
0 Kudos

I can't always read more than one book at a time - but there are instances where I'm in the mood for something different than what I'm currently reading - so I'll read two books at the same time.  However, if a book has totally captured my attention, then I can't read anything else but that book.