Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Hebehemonkey
0 Kudos

Cheesy/Funny Romance Novels

It is summer, yet again, with nothing to do. So me and my companions decided to start a book club, but not just any book club. We want to read the cheesiest/funniest romance novels on the face of the planet. However, I face one small problem... I don't know any really cheesy/funny romance novels that can be easily obtained. Can someone, anyone, give me a couple of suggestions of your favorite titles, the club would really appreciate it. (The Twilight series is not an option since we have all already read those books and... regrettably... LOVE THEM!! .... Lord though, those are horrible books. There just so hard to put down!)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Cheesy/Funny Romance Novels

The problem is if they make you laugh out loud they probably aren't cheesy, and if they're cheesy, they'll probably make you groan rather than laugh!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Boy, it sure seems like I've read a lot of those over the years! :smileywink: I have a suggestion that may fit the bill. It's actually a series of books by Sarah Strohmeyer about a main character named Bubbles Yablonski, a hair dresser turned amatuer reporter and sometimes sleuth. Of course she is stacked, ditzy and loves the tight polyester clothes and has the mandatory hunk named Steve Stiletto. The first book is called Bubbles Unbound and is pretty cheesy but it does have humor. I read it because someone told me it was like the Stephanie Plum books. Hmm... I did read more in the series and they got better. Still chessy, but better, and that was part of the fun anyway. The author did not take herelf seriously here and she does have a good sense of humor. Have fun and let us know what you pick.
Contributor
TRACEYRENFRO
0 Kudos

Jennifer Crusie books are really funny, not sure about cheesy but laugh out loud funny with hilarious sex scenes. She writes a couple with a co-author Bob Mayer that are pretty good also.

I especially like hers titled 'CRAZY FOR YOU' and also 'TELL ME LIES'.

Also 'WELCOME TO TEMPTATION' and 'FAKING IT'. (need to read these two in this order or parts of second one won't make sense.

She has some shorter books that have been re-issued but I didn't like those nearly as much.
Contributor
TRACEYRENFRO
0 Kudos

Wrighty is right, the BUBBLES books are good summertime funny books also...
New User
Hebehemonkey
0 Kudos

Thanks! I think I have narrowed it down between the Bubbles books or the Host or even Barbara Cartland. It's a hard choice: funny, cheesily bad (yes, I do enjoy making up words), or the stereotypical romance novel. I'm leaning towards Bubbles though. Thank you a lot for the comment!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hebehemonkey wrote:
Thanks! I think I have narrowed it down between the Bubbles books or the Host or even Barbara Cartland. It's a hard choice: funny, cheesily bad (yes, I do enjoy making up words), or the stereotypical romance novel. I'm leaning towards Bubbles though. Thank you a lot for the comment!

Happy to help, I hope you enjoy them. You don't have to read them in order but I did. There is a different mystery/adventure in each book but the characters do develop and change throughout the series. Have fun! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Sometimes reading a cheesy book is just what you need.  It's nice to sit and relax with a goofy book that you don't have to concentrate too much on.  It's nice to just relax....

Jody

Contributor
maxine196404
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I love to read books that don't take themselves too seriously.  The Dixie Cash books are pretty funny, especially the titles.

Here they are:
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash
  • My Heart May Be Broken, But My Hair Looks Great
  • I Gave You My Heart  But You Sold It Online
  • Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes

If you don't mind books of with a sci-fi/fantasy bent, Mary Janice Davidson and Katie MacAlister are also quite amusing.

Message Edited by maxine196404 on 07-11-2008 03:09 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Love those titles!
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

Hebehemonkey wrote:
It is summer, yet again, with nothing to do. So me and my companions decided to start a book club, but not just any book club. We want to read the cheesiest/funniest romance novels on the face of the planet. However, I face one small problem... I don't know any really cheesy/funny romance novels that can be easily obtained. Can someone, anyone, give me a couple of suggestions of your favorite titles, the club would really appreciate it. (The Twilight series is not an option since we have all already read those books and... regrettably... LOVE THEM!! .... Lord though, those are horrible books. There just so hard to put down!)

I'm a big fan of cheesey romances. Summertime is the time to check your brain at the door & have a good read. Have you read Sophie Kinsella? I read her book "Undomestic goddess" and had a good laugh.

Another one of my favorite authors is Carl Hiaasen. He has really off beat characters & will make you laugh out loud. He's not a romance writer, but a good humorous read.
Patty