Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Contemporary Romance Book & Author Recommendations

Next to Nora Roberts, my favorite romantic author is Patricia McLinn. Sometimes I like Debbie Macomber, Gina Ferris, Candace Schuler, Marie Ferrarella and Sandra Brown. Some authors stand the test of time, too -- try reading just about anything by Mary Stewart (not Mariah Stewart, different author) or Evelyn Anthony (my favorite of hers is The Tamarind Seed, a little dated but still good).
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Next to Nora Roberts, my favorite romantic author is Patricia McLinn. Sometimes I like Debbie Macomber, Gina Ferris, Candace Schuler, Marie Ferrarella and Sandra Brown. Some authors stand the test of time, too -- try reading just about anything by Mary Stewart (not Mariah Stewart, different author) or Evelyn Anthony (my favorite of hers is The Tamarind Seed, a little dated but still good).

You just reminded me of Thornyhold by Mary Stewart. I loved that book but don't remember it very well. Now I have ANOTHER book to reread this weekend. (I also have an essay due that I've been procrastinating working on!) I haven't read anything else by her, yet. Does anyone remember the old AVON books, the small hard covers. I remember reading these but I can't remember titles or names and I've not seen them in my local libraries. I also wonder if I'd enjoy them as much now as when I was younger?

-Mayumi
Author
CathieLinz
0 Kudos

Thanks Sherrill, you made my day! I'm so glad that you enjoyed both my books GOOD GIRLS DO and BAD GIRLS DON'T (which came out in November). Readers who enjoy Susan Elizabeth Phillips books have told me they really liked my books. If you haven't read Susan's books I'd sure put her on the top of the contemporary romance list - her last one was MATCH ME IF YOU CAN in paperback and she has a new hardcover coming out any moment called NATURAL BORN CHARMER. If you like sexy reads, I'd recommend MURPHY'S LAW by Lori Foster which is a recent release. Happy reading, Cathie

Learn more about Smart Girls Think Twice.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yes, I do remember those. I also like the old English Penguin paperbooks, too.

Most of the Mary Stewart books are still in print if you feel like trying any of her others.
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Yes, I do remember those. I also like the old English Penguin paperbooks, too.

Most of the Mary Stewart books are still in print if you feel like trying any of her others.

Just to clarify. Penguin Publishers had a line of romance novels? Always thought they did children's book and inexpensive paperback reissues of Classics. Sorry...it's late...just got back from a hockey game...my mind is feeling a little hazy.

Glancing at my bookshelves, I've noticed a few Mariah Stewart books. (Let me apologize in advance to any Stewart fans.) Has anyone else encountered this problem with her stories - the premise is interesting, the beginning of the book hooks you, your attention fades by the middle, and you just finish the book because you can't leave a book 3/4 done? (AGAIN let me restate that I mean no offense to any fans. It may just be me...)

Oh, and someone else mentioned Cindy Gerard. Wouldn't it be interesting to be Jillian Kincaid (without the psycho out to kill her) for a day. You should try Gennita Low's Navy SEAL books. Those are some MACHO men!

~Mayumi
Contributor
Ktrink
0 Kudos

I love books that the people are "real". I stumbled upon Susan Wiggs. I am finishing Table for Five, by her. I am ready to pick up another of hers.
Patience the Best is yet to come.
Contributor
Sherrill_Lee
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote: Next to Nora Roberts, my favorite romantic author is Patricia McLinn. Sometimes I like Debbie Macomber, Gina Ferris, Candace Schuler, Marie Ferrarella and Sandra Brown. . .

Becke, I, too, love Patricia McLinn, and I just finished reading her The Games, a single title she had out last year, about this time. I'd ordered it but didn't get around to reading it until last week. This is a big change from her Harlequins, it's a story of three gals who are competing at the Winter Olympics and what happens to them in the sixteen days there. Patricia weaves their stories together, and how they come to trust and care for each other, plus their own romances. All in the Olympic Games atmosphere. I very much recommend it.
Sherrill
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I enjoy the series books that follow different friends -- she has written a couple of them. I discovered those after I read Nora Roberts' Stanislaski family books and I actually liked the McLinn series better. Of course, now that I've read Nora Roberts' McKade and Quinn books, it would be a tougher call to pick favorites.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I like romances and mysteries. My old Penguins fall into the mystery genre.
New User
Pollero
0 Kudos

Silly me - I forgot a great series - Allison Brennan's The Hunt, The Kill and The Prey. I have the first of her new series but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. She's really talented and the suspense kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm waving at Cathy Linz - Hi Cathy (you probably know me better from my Intrigue days writing as Kelsey Roberts). Another talented author I've had the pleasure of meeting at a few events - not only is she a great writer, she's also a computer whiz, columnist and I'm guessing she has lots of other talents as well. I love this thread because it's a chance to take a fun trip down memory lane. My very favorite suspense - re-read at least 1 time a year - is Eileen Dreyer's A Man to Die For. Happy reading, Rhonda
Contributor
Sherrill_Lee
0 Kudos

Silly me - I forgot a great series - Allison Brennan's The Hunt, The Kill and The Prey. I have the first of her new series but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. She's really talented and the suspense kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm waving at Cathy Linz - Hi Cathy (you probably know me better from my Intrigue days writing as Kelsey Roberts). Another talented author I've had the pleasure of meeting at a few events - not only is she a great writer, she's also a computer whiz, columnist and I'm guessing she has lots of other talents as well. I love this thread because it's a chance to take a fun trip down memory lane. My very favorite suspense - re-read at least 1 time a year - is Eileen Dreyer's A Man to Die For. Happy reading, Rhonda

Yes, Cathie is a talented lady, and a very nice one at that. I've had the priviledge of knowing her a few years and that quiet demeanor and soft voice hide a wit and fun personality :-)
I also liked Alllison Brennan's trilogy, a very talented new writer. It's nice she's so prolific!
Sherrill
New User
Pollero
0 Kudos

And I should learn to spell her name right - if you're out there Cathie - sorry!
Author
CathieLinz
0 Kudos

That's okay, am used to it. My mom is an artist and she didn't like the y going below the line on Cathy so she made it Cathie instead. Thank you for the kind compliments, that's so nice of you! Cathie

Learn more about Smart Girls Think Twice.
Contributor
Sherrill_Lee
0 Kudos

I stumbled upon Susan Wiggs. I am finishing Table for Five, by her. I am ready to pick up another of hers
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I forgot to reply to your post before, but I adore Susan Wiggs' books. I also had the honor of taking an online writing class from her last summer and she's a generous and caring teacher, too. I'm hooked for life!
If you haven't read Susan Wiggs yet, give yourself a treat. You'll be swept away.
Sherrill
becke_davis
0 Kudos

That's the first time I've ever heard that reason for an unusual name spelling! My reason was more basic: three Becky's in the same classes in high school. One kept the usual spelling, one changed hers to Becci and I went for Becke. "Becci" and I kept in touch over the years -- she went back to the basic spelling eventually.
Contributor
veronica12
0 Kudos

Well, I love recommending too. You wonder how many people actually pay attention to reviews and instead just go for the shinniest cover.

I love Nora Roberts (who doesn't), Barbara Delinsky, Kate Rizor, and for horror or at least the kind I can handle--James Patterson.

I also love mysteries by Sarah Shankman.

These are all great authors.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

veronica12 wrote:
Well, I love recommending too. You wonder how many people actually pay attention to reviews and instead just go for the shinniest cover.

I love Nora Roberts (who doesn't), Barbara Delinsky, Kate Rizor, and for horror or at least the kind I can handle--James Patterson.

I also love mysteries by Sarah Shankman.

These are all great authors.

The shiniest cover might get my attention but then I check out the reviews here at B&N. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Sarah Strohmeyer - funny

I don't know if anyone has mentioned her yet but I really enjoy Sarah Strohmeyer's books with hairdresser turned newspaper reporter, Bubbles Yablonsky. These are funny, similar to the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich. At first I compared them too much and wasn't enjoying them as much as I could but when I just read them for what they were I really liked them. They have humor, mystery and some hot romance. :smileywink: Right now I am reading the newest one "Bubbles All The Way", #6 in the series. The first one is "Bubbles Unbound". You don't have to read them in order but they will make more sense because the characters carry over in each story and they change throughout the series. These are perfect for the beach or for when you're stuck inside during a really cold winter.
Contributor
veronica12
0 Kudos

I haven't heard of all these authors. I've written them down and am going to look them up. Thanks.

I agree with Carly Phillips and also Nora Roberts but its the others I haven't heard of.

I also love this book 'The Governor's Wife' by Kate Rizor. I think that's all she's written.

Have you read Luanne Rice or Barbara Delinsky?

V.
Contributor
veronica12
0 Kudos

I just wanted to write that I love how excited everybody is about romance novels!