Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

Re: DECEMBER FEATURE: The Sweetheart's Knitting Club by Lori Wilde

In the town that Twilight is based on (Granbury, Texas) the entire town square is actually a National Historic landmark. It still looks like it did in 1875. When you're there you can practically see the cowboys and gunslingers walking the streets.

Little known tidbit--one half of the Dixie Cash writing team lives in Granbury and Avon historical author Melody Thomas's great-grandfather was one of the town founders.

Contributor
SoozeSC
0 Kudos

this book looks good--i'll have to check for it tonight when I get to work at my BN store! if I read fast enough, i can get in some comments!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

SoozeSC wrote:

this book looks good--i'll have to check for it tonight when I get to work at my BN store! if I read fast enough, i can get in some comments!

I hope you like it, SoozeSC!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Today marks the official visit of Lori Wilde, so, "Welcome, Lori!!!"

I know you've touched on this a bit, but can you tell us about your inspiration for Twilight?

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

Ah yes, the Dairy Queen. It was the "in" place in the small town where I grew up. Now days around the small town where I live, it's Sonic. My fifteen year old niece informed me there's a "cool" and an "uncool" side at Sonic. Who knew? Of course my husband and I alway park on the "uncool" side. We should have knownn when all the teenagers were on the other side--which of course was the reason we don't park there. <grin>

I didn't have to do as much research for the quilting because I come from a long line of quilters. I'm not much on sewing. My mother's an expert seamstress and I was always comparing my efforts to hers and got discouraged and my grandmother could whip out a quilt in three weeks. She quilted like I write--intense and concentrated. I have many beautiful quilts she created.

Now my third book is about a cookie club--I'm writing it now. I love to cook and bake and eating cookies! I've been researching this one my entire life.

The fourth book in the series centers around gardening. The ladies of the club start a victory garden and it's a secret baby story as well. I do know how to garden, but it was my mother's passion, not mine and she made me do it as a kid. Personally, while I love the results of gardening I'm not so keen on the dirt under my fingernails and the backaches and the sweaty brow and the bugs. Eew, I guess I'm more of a girly-girl than i thought.

Contributor
Emmanuelle
0 Kudos

This Cookie Club is a great idea. I don't think I've ever seen it before. Romance and food is one of my favorite combination. Can't wait !! (will it be release next year ??)

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Cookie Club! I'm with Emmanuelle -- I've never heard of such a thing but it's a great idea.  Does everyone bring a cookie? Many cookies?  Every week?

And then meet each other at WEight Watchers in the off weeks?  *g*

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Seriously - a cookie club? Where do I sign up? Will there be an eating faction and a baking faction? I wish this were real!

Lori, Jesse is such a bad boy on the surface, but really he's very good-hearted at the core. Do you usually root for the bad boy or good guy in the romances you read/write?

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

Yes, writing the cookie book has been very fun. See, we're offering recipes in the book and well, of course I can't recommed the cookies wihtout trying the out, right? Good think I went on a diet and lost twelve pounds before starting this book. <grin>

In real life I've had enough of bad boys (bad first marriage) but they're fun to redeem in fiction.

Lori

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Jesse's technically a bad boy, but he really has a good heart and is just the product of some hard knocks. I think that's why he's so sympathetic.

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

Eloisa,

Cookie Clubs started out as a Southern thing, but they're spreading in popularity. In real cookie clubs they meet just once a year in December. In my book--because hey, we want to see more of the club--they meet for six weeks and bake cookies for charitable causes before they have their big cookie swap at Christmas which involves food, wine and lots of talk, talk, talk. There's a movie coming out soon based on Ann Pearlman's The Christmas Cookie Club. I discovered this when Avon wanted to call my book The Christmas Cookie Club. So now it's The First Love Cookie Club.

Lori

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

This one comes out next Christmas. it's been really fun writing a Christmas book at Christmas.

Lori

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

He did have it tough poor guy. i don't know if you can telll it or not, but Sawyer from Lost was the image I had of Jesse in my head. He's not as bad of a bad boy as Sawyer, but he's had a rough life.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

LWilde wrote:

He did have it tough poor guy. i don't know if you can telll it or not, but Sawyer from Lost was the image I had of Jesse in my head. He's not as bad of a bad boy as Sawyer, but he's had a rough life.

Lori, I swear to you that is who I pictured when reading this! Exactly!

Who was Flynn based on?

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

Flynn's looks was based on a young Debra Winger. Her personality...um...me.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed her - maybe because I like you so much, Lori!

But seriously, I admired her resolve to take care of her family and to do right by her mother. Such a burden for someone to carry! It made her sympathetic, I thought.

New User
RobynL
0 Kudos

I love the idea of a Cookie Club; sounds familiar to the Cookie exchange we have sometimes

at Christmas.  Depending on how many are involved, each person bakes and brings that many

dozens of cookies and each one gets a dozen.  A wonderful idea.

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

I'm the oldest of five kids and both my parents worked two job and went to school to future their educations. And I became a nurse at 17, so I have vast knowledge of big responsiblities at a young age to draw on for Flynn's character.

Lori

Author
LWilde
0 Kudos

Question for everyone:

What's your favorite Christmas Cookie?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I liked that Flynn was a caretaker without being a martyr. She's a strong character, who's honestly trying to do the right thing. But can we get a book for her sister?