Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Diana Gabaldon(Outlander Series)

Lmfwhite wrote:

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - I too love the Outlander series - it's my all-time favorite series of books. I reread the books before the next one comes out, so I refresh my memory. I had a real Outlander marathon going this past summer, before Echo in the Bone came out. I'm going to reread it again soon. I have introduced this series to so many people and every one of them has loved it. I also have the "Into the Wilderness" series by Sara Donati. It's almost as good as the outlander books, and there's even a mention of Ian Murray in them  - it's really cool when your favorite characters "visit" other books ! I seem to like series books, because you get to know the characters better, and find out the "whole" story. I'm going to look for the series by Dorothy Detuned - it sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.  Happy Reading...

Anne

A friend has lent me her Into The Wilderness  series but prefaced it by saying it's really not as good as the Outlander series.  The way she said it, I was not inclined to read it.  But the way YOU said it, makes me want to read it.  As much as you love the Outlander series, was it worth your time to invest in that series as well?  Thanks.

I haven't read the Donati books, but for what it's worth, I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Into the Wilderness

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - Lmfwhite & Melanie - I really liked the Into The Wilderness series, but NOTHING beats Outlander !! The final book was just published (of the wilderness series) and while I liked it, it seemed as though the author ran out of steam near the end. If anyone out there has read it, let me know what you think - OK? Maybe we should start another thread, because it would have spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the whole series..

Anne

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Outlander jumped off the shelf at me years ago when I was looking for something new to read and I've been a big fan ever since.  You might say that I've grown older with Claire and Jamie.

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

My book club went to the beach for a 3 day getaway and of course we talked books and invariably we talked Outlander.  We were discussing WHY this book has not been made into a movie.  Some speculated that no one could do Jamie justice but many of us thought Gerard Butler would make an EXCELLENT Jamie.  What do you think?  And who would make a great Claire??

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

First I love the idea of a 3 day getaway. That would be wonderful, especially with books involved. Gerard Butler would make a great Jamie. No one is popping into my mind for Claire. I will be watching the thread to see what others think.

pen21

Lmfwhite wrote:

My book club went to the beach for a 3 day getaway and of course we talked books and invariably we talked Outlander.  We were discussing WHY this book has not been made into a movie.  Some speculated that no one could do Jamie justice but many of us thought Gerard Butler would make an EXCELLENT Jamie.  What do you think?  And who would make a great Claire??

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

What about Emma Thompson as Claire?

I've never really seen a man that fits the description of Jamie. That's the beauty of words vs. pictures.

cork_dork_mom
New User
tinabeenaTG
0 Kudos

I have read all the books in the "Outlander" series.  It would be quite cool if they made a movie out of the story.

Tina

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB

Hi Everyone - As most of you know the Outlander books are my "all-time favs". I'd love to see them on screen, but I think a movie can't do them justice. I think at the very least, a mini-series or something like Masterpiece Theatre. That allows time for the story and the characters to develop. For a movie, you'd lose too much of the story. In terms of casting, if we were doing it today, Emma Thompson sounds good, but she might be a tad old (sorry !). For Jamie, gosh, I don't know, but some of the Diana Gabaldon sites (Ladies of Lallybroch, for instance) usually have a thread, where everyone throws out ideas for casting. I haven't checked lately, but they usually have some interesting ideas. Anyway, we need something to keep us busy until the next book comes out !!!

Anne

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite
0 Kudos

You are correct - a movie would not be long enough.  A mini-series or Masterpiece Theatre would be perfect.  Emma Thompson is a great actress but I think you are correct - in her younger day she would have been a contender, but with all of you talking about Emma, it made me think of Kate Winslet.  She would be a great Claire!

I also agree that a movie, mini-series, etc. would never be able to equal our imaginations but it sure would be fun to watch anyway!!!

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

Definately a mini-series would be much better than a movie.

Yea, Emma Thompson probably wouldn't work as Claire. I like Kate Winslet but I don't quite picture her as Claire. I can't picture Kate doing some of the grittier things Claire did or being as bossy.

cork_dork_mom