Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Do you ever give up on an author?

I'm not thinking of any writer in particular - I promise - but I was thinking about how I read some writers' books no matter what, and much like a bad relationship, if the books aren't what they used to be, I ignore it. 

Does this happen to any of you? Is there a point where you will stop buying books by an author you used to love?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Do you ever give up on an author?

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I'm not thinking of any writer in particular - I promise - but I was thinking about how I read some writers' books no matter what, and much like a bad relationship, if the books aren't what they used to be, I ignore it. 

Does this happen to any of you? Is there a point where you will stop buying books by an author you used to love?

no names, but one got so politically incorrect in her romances that I just couldn't read her anymore, she also changed genres and I used to look really forward to her novels too.

so yes

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Deb - I so get that. One thing I always think when reading certain authors is that I wish they had more time to work on the books they write. One every year, sometimes books will feel a little undercooked. There have been two or three authors that I have stopped reading for this reason, unless one of their books gets a lot of buzz for being good.

Contributor
Momsquiettime0819
0 Kudos

Oh yes. I have given up several diffrent series of books because the authors have written so many in the series that the books start repeating themselves. Same story diffrent characters. Very aggravating. :-(
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie & Melanie - I agree with you both - There is one author that I just stopped reading because as you said the books seemed "undercooked"  -  all you had to do was change the names of the characters, and it was the "same old, same old". There are a couple of authors that I sort of took a "time-out" and then went back to them after a while.  I think that my favorite authors are the ones that seem to take their time and do their research - they may not publish as frequently, but they are worth waiting for ! (No matter how much I complain about  waiting so long !)

Anne

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

Yes, there are several (and the number seems to be growing, unfortunately, :smileymad: ) of authors I used to read  who seem to have said all there is to say with their series character(s) and need to find new characters/series. 

Frequent Contributor
Irishcontessa
0 Kudos

I've done this several times with different authors over the years. I can think of at least four without looking at my book lists. 

The most recent wasn't so much because the quality of the books had deteriorated - though they had become very uneven in terms of quality from book to book - but it was the author's response to readers who sent her feedback on the fact that the books had been uneven. I understand that some of the readers probably weren't particularly nice about the feedback but this author went on Facebook and basically told readers to stop reading if they wanted consistent quality. So I listened to her :smileyhappy: There are too many authors and too many books for me to waste time reading the books of an author who clearly doesn't want me to read her books.

Inspired Contributor
Yonina_Dove
0 Kudos

I've done that with an author who spanned many many books, particularly in one series. I was so disappointed with how her last 2 or 3 turned out I had to stop reading the series, it went from being a well written series that kept me on edge to the same thing over and over again but with no plot, just a series of events that made reading unpleasant.

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables me to laugh at life's realities.”
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

This thread makes me feel good. Confession is cleansing. :smileywink: