Author
Madeline_Hunter20
0 Kudos

Re: February Feature #1: RAVISHING IN RED by Madeline Hunter

I get the question about returning to medievals a lot, Michelle! I will confess that I miss writing them sometimes. It was a different kind of society so there are possibilities there that you don't have in the early 19th century (and vice versa). Unfortunately, the reader base is much more limited, so that creates some problems career-wise. It is just one of those realities.

I do have ideas for more stories, however. And it has entered my mind that I can do novellas that are medieval, if I can arrange my schedule to fit them in.

I wonder if your readers here on the Book Club like medievals and want to see more of them? Maybe we can ask? (I guess I just have asked :smileyhappy: )

Madeline Hunter
Contributor
Irish

Okay, I'm half way through this book and everything else I was supposed to be doing today has taken a back seat.  Hopefully, I can manage to get my family fed in between the pages.

This story/series is amazing.  It took a chapter or so, but I am totally engrossed.  I love all the characters and wish I could lock myself away and read all their stories today!

I got questions now! LOL You already answered about Castleford.  Count me among the many, I'm sure, who will be stalking the bookstore isles looking for his story.  He needs a heroine way more wounded than he is.

I was wondering if Morgan will have a story? He has me intrigued almost as much as Castleford.

Second question:  What is the publishing schedule for the series?  I am extremely psyched that PIP is going to be available by the end of the month.  When are the others slated for release?

And Thank you, again!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I personally love medievals, and I think there's an appetite out there for them. It's just that so few are written now, so it seems like readers aren't talking about them.

Author
Madeline_Hunter20
0 Kudos

Hi, Irish. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Now, about Morgan---at this time I do not plan a story for him. My head is sort of full of the other ones planned. I never say never, because I do have a few ideas that are stewing on the back burner, but it remains to be seen if one of them becomes compelling. His character has some issues that would have to be resolved before he would make good hero material. At the end of the book, that is happening or starting, and it has nothing to do with his physical state. I need to see if in my mind I see the changes that are needed becoming plausible, I guess. Only time will tell.

The books are coming out pretty fast. The second one is being released on Feb. 23 (which I just realized is less than 3 weeks away!).  Then the third, Sinful in Satin will be released in October, and the fourth, Dangerous in Diamonds, will be released next spring (I do not have the exact month yet for certain, but I think it will be April). So the quartet will be completed in a little over a year!

Madeline Hunter
Author
Madeline_Hunter20
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I personally love medievals, and I think there's an appetite out there for them. It's just that so few are written now, so it seems like readers aren't talking about them.

I think you are right, Melanie. So much of trying new authors and new sub-genres is word of mouth. I also wonder if readers have an idea of what medievals are like that is not really accurate, and would like them much more than they think. It is such a rich period, and the guys are very cool! Knights are by nature alpha.(although my first hero was a merchant, and one of my coolest ever.)

Madeline Hunter
Contributor
Irish
0 Kudos

Thanks, Madeline. 

That is really great that they will all be out in under a year (way better than waiting 4 years for 4 stories!).  I also wanted to tell you that I went on your site and viewed your videos.  They are awesome - made the hair stand up on my arms (a good thing).

I wanted to chime in about the medievals.  I like medievals but have gotten away from them recently.  I really got hooked on them through Julie Garwood and Jo Beverley.  And, of course, your first 3 grabbed me immediately and are on my keeper shelf.  David and Rhys are a couple of my favorite heroes.  I think what drew me to your medievals was the characterizations of your heroes.  David was very alpha, in my mind, and controlling but understood Christina, was gentle and comforting with her and made allowances - to a point (that's when it got interesting. LOL)  Rhys was a wonderful beta - comforting, nurturing and trying to heal Joan but then when called for possessed amazing strength and fortitutde.

I think I've tried a few medievals over the past couple of years and they seemed more history lesson than romance and the heroes were kind of cardboard cut-out alphas spewing orders and pushing everyone around.  I just couldn't trudge through them. Maybe I just didn't get my hands on the right ones.  Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated!

New User
cmonserrat
0 Kudos

Dear Madeline,

I LOVE the Midieval genre! I can't get enough of it!!! I LOVE your book By Possession, it is one of my top 5 favorites! My first introduction to your work was through The Sins of Lord Easterbrook which I enjoyed & therefore have been working my through your book list.  Please, Please, continue writing medievals!!!!!

Author
Madeline_Hunter20
0 Kudos

Irish wrote:

That is really great that they will all be out in under a year (way better than waiting 4 years for 4 stories!).  I also wanted to tell you that I went on your site and viewed your videos.  They are awesome - made the hair stand up on my arms (a good thing).

I am writing faster these days. Butt in chair and all that, LOL. It was exciting to realize I could and the books not only did not suffer for it, but seemed to be very strong. And thank you for your nice comments about my videos. The last two are from More Than Publicity Productions and the producer is NINI, who I think is very artistic in her concepts and exectutions, so I am happy (although I know that not all readers like videos, period. That is why I have a button you have to click to start mine. I think watching them should be a choice).

I wanted to chime in about the medievals.  I like medievals but have gotten away from them recentlyI really got hooked on them through Julie Garwood and Jo Beverley.  And, of course, your first 3 grabbed me immediately and are on my keeper shelf.  David and Rhys are a couple of my favorite heroes.  I think what drew me to your medievals was the characterizations of your heroes.  David was very alpha, in my mind, and controlling but understood Christina, was gentle and comforting with her and made allowances - to a point (that's when it got interesting. LOL)  Rhys was a wonderful beta - comforting, nurturing and trying to heal Joan but then when called for possessed amazing strength and fortitutde.

I have always said that of all my heroes, Rhys was the one I'd take home to mother. :smileyhappy: He was also one of my "commoner" heroes, not a knight or a lord. I love writing them. And if you haven't tried Stealing Heaven, my last one. . . . it won the RITA for a reason. It is one of my best, I think.

I think I've tried a few medievals over the past couple of years and they seemed more history lesson than romance and the heroes were kind of cardboard cut-out alphas spewing orders and pushing everyone around. 

I like the phrase "warrior poets" coined by some other authors years ago, to describe the best knights of the middle ages. They were actually very civilized, and sensitive to things like beauty, but then, of course, they were finely honed killing machines too. What an interesting combination! Of course I loved the challenge of writing them with all that to work with.

Maybe I just didn't get my hands on the right ones.  Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated!

I am hoping some other readers answer you, and recommend some really good ones for everyone to try.

Madeline Hunter
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Madeline, thank you so much for visiting with us! It's been a blast!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks, Madeline! This has been a fascinating discussion!

Author
Madeline_Hunter20
0 Kudos

Thank you for having me, Melanie

I would have posted yesterday, but I lost internet due to 20" of snow! It just came back on (I figured they would get it fixed for the Super Bowl, and they did). It looks gorgeous out there, but this area has shut down. At least I had electricity!

I had a great time here. Thanks again.

Madeline Hunter
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The traffic was down yesterday all over the boards and I wondered if storm-related power cuts may have been part of the reason. Interesting.